2003 Honda Pilot 3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

2003 Pilot Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Most expensive vehicle ever!!!!
By baust

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Pilot has been family owned since new and was dealer maint. up to 80K. We bought it from her parents with 80K miles. It's hardly even needed any maint. done. I did the timing belt/waterpump/plugs @ 107K, the first brake job was done at 125K. We drive mostly highway. Here's the catch: The first transmission went out at 130K miles. Honda quoted us $3,700 to replace it with a factory reman. with a 3-year/36K warranty. We had them replace it because we didn't want to ever have to worry about it again. Now 2 years later @ 172K and the transmission needs to be replaced again. They won't cover anything because we have put 42K on it. They quoted us $4,700. Can YOU afford one? We can't.

Favorite Features

resale value, lol

Suggested Improvements

Transmission!!!!!!

2003 Pilot - 7 yrs old
By Kristin

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 7 years and like all Hondas, it's been super reliable. I had to replace the stereo a year ago (it broke for no reason). It was $1000 to replace, so I bought an aftermarket, but the steering wheel controls won't work with it now. The interior door handle was plastic with "metal tape" over it and it was peeling, so I had to replace it. I hate the removable headrests for the 2nd/3rd row seats (big pain), but they've redesigned them in 2009. Overall it's been a great car and I'm buying another Pilot now (2010), which is even better designed. I love Hondas!

Favorite Features

3rd row seat, large cargo area in the back, large storage area between the front seats, lots of cupholders throughout, the storage nets behind the front seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

The headrests in the 3rd row seats must be removed to fold the seat down and it's a pain to have to store them. The 3rd row seats need to be a bit wider to fit even child booster seats. The shoulder belts coming from the ceiling sit high on your neck, which is uncomfortable (especially for kids).

Transmission Failed
By Steve

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned and driven multiple Honda Accords since a 1979 model, I was expecting a similar non-eventful and reliable experience with a 2003 Pilot that was purchased used. But the transmission has just failed at 140k miles. Sadly, this is standard for the Honda Pilot if you quickly glance around the internet. The same problem extends to other Honda models with the V6: the Accord, Odyssey, and Acura TL. These and other Honda transmission issues have been subject of numerous recalls and class action suits over the years. I am otherwise a Honda fan and enjoy the Pilot, but this one reliability issues is a serious shortcoming that anyone purchasing must be financially prepared for.

Favorite Features

Seating for eight. Typical Honda ergonomics with plenty of storage and flexibility. 5-star crash rating. General build quality (other than the transmission).

Suggested Improvements

Transmission reliability must be improved. Ride bumpiness is poor, even over speed humps. The 2009 Pilot does get better gas mileage from the 17 mpg you should expect with a 2003. Sound system quality is also poor.

Excellent Ride!
By Proudmom

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a ford explorer before but the Honda Pilot is better by far. It has more room and it rides smoothly. I am so glad I bought this car.

Favorite Features

The room and the smooth ride.

superior to any competitor in class
By So Cal on the go

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just why does anybody buy an SUV? Practical, go anywhere, looks, roomy, fun, features, price...and a few more. Without being an offroad pretender, this unit meets it all. My favorite, I never have to take my golf clubs out to run errors or pick up the kids.

Favorite Features

Handling, room, gas mileage (especially during the crisis of 06)

Suggested Improvements

Could look as sporty as it performs.

nice car but buyers beware
By Reinaldo Davila

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car runs great, love the interior except for the consoles. Gas mileage is horrible I feed this baby once a week. Problem with dampness/wetness on the carpeting from drivers side and passengers side. Had it serviced twice. So buyers beware, have it serviced by a mechanic before you purchase a used Pilot.

Favorite Features

great car but not too happy.

Suggested Improvements

Don't like the consoles which needs to be improved.

Unhappy since 2003
By DLP

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leased my pilot the first year out, and will never do that again. I have been unhappy with this car since the first month I bought it. There are things that you don't realize in your 10- minute test drive. My biggest complaint is the extremely poor design of the driver seat -it leans back instead of supporting your head,it protrudes behind your shoulders, and there is no lower back support. I get back aches whenever I drive more than 20 minutes. Also, very little leg room for us long-legged drivers. Other problems I've had: struts were replaced after 2 years, shifts roughly going uphill, loud squeaking when backing up,front air-vents won't stay stationary. Can't wait to turn it in!

Favorite Features

Reliability - haven't had any major engine problems.

Suggested Improvements

Improve comfortability of seats, telescoping steering wheel would be nice, improve quality of interior design- it's "plastic" and cheap looking.

Can't wait to buy a new one!
By Peyton

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My family and I absolutely LOVE this SUV! It's affordable and reliable, which is what I need with two young children. I bought my Pilot used, but in my opinion, Honda's don't start running good until they reach 60 k miles! One more year and I will trade my old Pilot in for an 07'. I can't wait! It has plenty of room to haul my kids' friends around in, plus some. It travels good, rides great, and I just love it! I would highly recommend the Pilot to anyone with a small or large family. It's just the right size no matter what you're doing.

Suggested Improvements

More hauling capacity.

Love my Pilot
By karen

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth SUV. I love just about everything about it! It rides like you are driving on a cloud with plenty of interior space, extra seating in the back, seat belts for all passengers, leather to sink into, and great handling on the road. There are only two cons I can think of. Some wind noise over 15-20mph with just one window down (when two are down, the noise is gone)....Small sliver space in front area between the console and driver and passenger seats is hard to clean. Thats it! When I get ready to sell this Pilot, I will definitely be looking at another one!!

Favorite Features

First rate interior comfort, nice dashboard layout, excellent design of interior space with extra seating in back. I have loaded mine up with 8 people all with seatbelts on occasion. Tinted windows in back and nice alarm system make security tight. Love my Pilot.

Suggested Improvements

Fix wind noise with just one window down so it is history. Make space between driver and passenger seats and console wider so I can get a vacuum nozzle in that section.

Everything is great!!!
By Honda Pilot

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had no trouble with my Pilot. I have three kids and was not ready to go to a mini van so I got a Pilot. It was the best investment I have made. The Entertainment package is a must have for anyone with kids!

Favorite Features

The DVD system is so easy to work! I've been in other SUVs with DVD systems and theirs is not near as easy to use as my Pilot's.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there was an easier way to get into the third row, other than climbing over the seat after it has been laid down.