2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Pilot is the best
By roooddy on 02/06/14 17:49 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather and Navigation System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the car new in Oct of 2002. The tires were replaced at 84K...still have original brakes at 102K. Never so much as an alignment needed. The usual oil changes and a timing belt is all I've done in 11 years. The best car we ever owned!

Mine was a very Reliable Car
By warrenam47 on 09/23/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I live in the mountains of NC. The roads are very dangerous here, esp. in the winter. I test drove my Pilot in a snow storm, and bought it for its size and great gas mileage. i Never got stuck in the snow. and i drove this past winter for an hour from boone to beech mountain Everyday. nothing, and i mean nothing ever went wrong in the car. the only things i spent money on were literally break pads and a few oil changes. it was at 125k when i recently hit a deer going 70mph and its now totaled and im now heartbroken. there seems to be something seriously wrong with every SUV i consider to replace my pilot with. i loved luxury cars but now im feeling more sensible... and a grille guard is ness

Window regulator problem
By powderpuff on 08/05/11 16:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have really loved the Pilot since we bought it new. We are having trouble with the leather seats coming apart, but that we can deal with. The major problem is we have now replaced all 4 of the window regulators once and one of them twice! Three this year. This is really irritating because they just go down all of a sudden when driving along or when parked at a parking lot we come out and one will be down! We are lucky we haven't had it stolen. Plus in the desert in the middle of the summer it sucks to have a window all a sudden falls down! As well as the $350 it costs each time to fix. Honda rep says there isn't a problem are we the only ones with this problem?!

Most expensive vehicle ever!!!!
By baust on 07/05/11 05:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Pilot has been family owned since new and was dealer maint. up to 80K. We bought it from her parents with 80K miles. It's hardly even needed any maint. done. I did the timing belt/waterpump/plugs @ 107K, the first brake job was done at 125K. We drive mostly highway. Here's the catch: The first transmission went out at 130K miles. Honda quoted us $3,700 to replace it with a factory reman. with a 3-year/36K warranty. We had them replace it because we didn't want to ever have to worry about it again. Now 2 years later @ 172K and the transmission needs to be replaced again. They won't cover anything because we have put 42K on it. They quoted us $4,700. Can YOU afford one? We can't.

Honda pilot 03 transmissions
By jona on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I also have a 2003 honda pilot. We have kept up on all maintenance on this vehicle. Had drive light flash and was told 4th gear pressure sensor was bad, had that fixed. A month later my transmission starts acting up, take to dealer and they told me I needed a whole new transmission and was gonna cost us $3000.00 to fix

Honda Owners Beware
By Pilot Owner on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had the torque converter and transmission replaced with only 89k miles under normal driving conditions. Total cost was over $3600. Better have deep pockets for Honda repairs, as they love their parts.

Looking for 350,000
By Jamie on 10/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

My wife loves her Pilot. We purchased this vehicle with 67,000 miles. At 120,000 miles, we changed the front struts and the right axle. May have something to do with the 2 deer we hit. At 140,000 we had to replace 2 switches in the transmission and have had no problems with it at all since. We did change the timing and water pump at 175,000. Even though it was suggested at 100k. Over all we are well pleased with our purchase and are looking for 350,000 miles plus. Right now we are driving at 188,000 miles.

Just Love IT!
By Smiley on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought mine this weekend and I love it. It has 139,000 miles on it but the guy took care of it and has all the paper work down to every oil change. It rides very well.

2003 Pilot Transmission Failure
By DownSouth on 08/27/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

Bought certified pre-owned in 2005 with 30K miles. Bought extended warranty. Paid off last month and warranty ran out 8-9-2010, trans failed 8-23-2010. No help from warranty but Honda paid 25%. Picked up today and drove 1/4 mile and it made a grinding noise with ABS and VTM lights coming on. Waiting on Monday. All dealer service since purchased.

Seven Years
By geokeller on 07/27/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall performance is very good. AWD is excellent in wet and snow covered roads. After installing a K & N air filter highway mileage is as high as 25 mpg. What I do not like is the quality. Chromed door handles started peeling at 50,000 miles. Exterior paint marks up easily. Many little things continue to go wrong. My next SUV will not be a Honda.