Used 2002 Honda Passport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Honda Passport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

Starting problem
By bsox

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Luxury Package (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my passport for 6 yrs. I love it. I have had no problems except for now. I have 92,000 mi. on it & ow there is a starting problem. The car starts then imediatley stalls, the 2nd. time I start it , it starts right up. No mechanic can figure it out & no ingine lite is on. I was told it could be an ignition switch or a fuel pump relay. Has anyone had this problem? It doesn't matter if it is cold or hot . I still get 18 to 21 mpg.

It is very comfortable for me & because of back surgery, I love the lumbar support & the way the back end opens , it is so easy for me to load & unload. Very deprndable in the snow & climbing hills in the snow. Easy to drive & turning. No blind spots.

Put a Honda engine in it , so Honda knows how to fix a problem with it. When I told them I had a Honda Passport, there reply was " Oh, I'm sorry " ! That made me feel bad.

Never ever buy another one.
By Roger

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV has been nothing but a nightmare. It stays in the shop more than it does in my driveway and when it's in my driveway most times it's waiting on repairs. I would never buy another one. Never, transmission bad, engine bad, sway bars bad. I believe this car must have been a total loss and refixed. Nothing but a headache that sucks my pockets dry.

the fact it was a nice looking SUV.

in rating this SUV over all. 1 being poor and 10 being the best i would rate this SUV a 2 i guess I'm just going to have to write it off as a nightmare and take my loss

Thought I had a good Deal
By berndie10

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I liked my car when purchased & thought this is a good car; turned out to be a bummer.After only 4 months the transmission is not shifting properly & the closed system makes it impossible to check fluid level. What a bummer.

Liked the style & room for me & my grandkids

Steering is loose & needs to be improved & whats with that transmission how do I fix that problem?

Passport problems a-brewing
By Schon

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

The engine oil consumption is a problem... every 2 & half months add or get complete oil change. THE BRAKES ARE A PAIN TO FIX & COSTLY ALONG WITH THE DRIVE BELT. THE CD PLAYER EATS CDs... the fuse system is in a aggravatingly bad location to work on. The spare/spare crane are a pain in the neck.

Moon roof, 4x4, fog lights, cruise control leather, a/c

All CARs/SUVs need more cup holders, better sound system, real rear spoiler added to roof rack, real dual exhaust. Better headlight/fog light system & a more powerful a/c.

2002 4WD Honda Passport
By Jody

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Except for substantial wind noise, and some body integrity issues, this has been a fairly reliable vehicle. I just got new tires and it has improved greatly. It runs great in the 4WD mode for heavy snow. The front seat seems to "fade" and needs adjusting fairly regularly. Gas mileage is average for a midsized SUV. Before I got new tires, it seemed to have several rattles, but this is improved with new rubber. I would recommend replacing the tires before you need to. There is plenty of room in the back seat, and lots of storage when rear seats are folded down. I intend to keep it til it dies, much to the chagrin of the mechanics. They don't like to work on them.

Lots of storage space in rear. Comfortable rear seating.

Since this is a discontinued model, no suggestions offered.