2002 Honda Passport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:
Starting problem
By bsox on 07/31/11 22:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Luxury Package (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my passport for 6 yrs. I love it. I have had no problems except for now. I have 92,000 mi. on it & ow there is a starting problem. The car starts then imediatley stalls, the 2nd. time I start it , it starts right up. No mechanic can figure it out & no ingine lite is on. I was told it could be an ignition switch or a fuel pump relay. Has anyone had this problem? It doesn't matter if it is cold or hot . I still get 18 to 21 mpg.

Never ever buy another one.
By Roger on 04/18/10 06:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This SUV has been nothing but a nightmare. It stays in the shop more than it does in my driveway and when it's in my driveway most times it's waiting on repairs. I would never buy another one. Never, transmission bad, engine bad, sway bars bad. I believe this car must have been a total loss and refixed. Nothing but a headache that sucks my pockets dry.

Thought I had a good Deal
By berndie10 on 03/09/10 08:31 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I liked my car when purchased & thought this is a good car; turned out to be a bummer.After only 4 months the transmission is not shifting properly & the closed system makes it impossible to check fluid level. What a bummer.

Passport problems a-brewing
By Schon on 11/10/09 10:44 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

The engine oil consumption is a problem... every 2 & half months add or get complete oil change. THE BRAKES ARE A PAIN TO FIX & COSTLY ALONG WITH THE DRIVE BELT. THE CD PLAYER EATS CDs... the fuse system is in a aggravatingly bad location to work on. The spare/spare crane are a pain in the neck.

2002 4WD Honda Passport
By Jody on 04/11/07 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Except for substantial wind noise, and some body integrity issues, this has been a fairly reliable vehicle. I just got new tires and it has improved greatly. It runs great in the 4WD mode for heavy snow. The front seat seems to "fade" and needs adjusting fairly regularly. Gas mileage is average for a midsized SUV. Before I got new tires, it seemed to have several rattles, but this is improved with new rubber. I would recommend replacing the tires before you need to. There is plenty of room in the back seat, and lots of storage when rear seats are folded down. I intend to keep it til it dies, much to the chagrin of the mechanics. They don't like to work on them.

I have owned this for ONLY 2 months and,
By jerry on 06/15/06 22:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've already had to buy a battery and change a 300.00 dollar transmission part its a car that wont last in the long run. it looks nice on the outside. Terrible on gas. hard to find parts ask around you will see!!!!!!

Honda Passport
By bchbum03 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

reliable no problems, comfortable and handles well seems to be a good suv

First SUV, Long time Honda Fan
By CRVFan on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Just recently purchased this Vehicle. The exterior/ interior looks great. The ride is smooth, handles well. I have owned several Hondas and loved them. I wanted a mid size SUV and CRV EX 4AWD seemed like the right choice.

My Passport
By SUVlady on 05/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent vehicle for me and has provided good transporation through a heavy snow season. The 4- wheel drive on the fly performed well and was easy to use by just pushing the button. No major mechanical problems. I am a satisfied customer.

My Honda is Great (why such bad reviews)
By D.Goodwin on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Passport SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Actually bought a silver 2001 LX model, same as 2002. We have had it now 18 months, and not one problem at all! Seriously, not one trip back to the dealer. The ride was a little squishy, leaning and tilting too much, but when i checked the air in the tires, Bingo. There was only 12lbs. in the tires, so when properly inflated the ride improved greatly. We camp with it, drive it around town, and even load it up with lumber. And it looks great, too! Why has Edmunds slammed this SUV so much, I just don't know.