Used 2001 Honda Passport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Passport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

It's an okay car
By holdem185

2001 Honda Passport SUV EX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car has made me so mad on numerous occasions. On 2 different times it randomly shut off while I was making a turn. I had to get the transmission fixed because it was leaking fluid. The suv doesn't use oil properly. This thing has just left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm so glad I just sold it, hopefully i get my reliable toyota 4runner for Christmas.

Stereo System/8 speakers, Inside was nice

Rough ride, Weak acceleration, Okay brakes, Small leg room for tall drivers

Well, mine is good
By redg

2001 Honda Passport SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've read all the reviews and I did have to replace the fuel sensor at about 35000 miles ($450). The ride is rough without a couple bags of sand in the rear. I've had virtually NO problems with this car. The Check Engine light started coming on. Removed the EGR Valve (in a very easy location) and cleaned out the carbon to good results. Would I buy it again? Probably not. My friend's Mazda Tribute was the same year, got better gas mileage, rode much better and had no problems at all.

Nothing you can do. The ride was way punishing and replacing a defective part with the same part isn't going to solve anything.

I mean it, dont buy this SUV!
By dont buy this SUV!

2001 Honda Passport SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this SUV for almost four years, and for the first 3 years, it ran well, had no problems. Once I hit about 90K miles, the problems came. First, the oil leak around the front transfer casing (almost $1K), a replaced gasket ($500), then a blown computer chip which immobilized the SUV ($2000). Then, a second blown computer chip, (free, due to warranty of first chip), fuel tank sensor ($150) and last but not least, a short in the main engine wire housing which relays all the sensors to the computer (to diagnose the problem $500, to actually fix, $2.5 K). After diagnosing the wire housing problem, which took two dealerships 6 weeks and no loaner car, I washed my hands of this lemon.

4 wheel drive, hugged the road in the snow. Good power and acceleration.

I don't know if it was poor assembly done in America (it was assembled in Indiana) or poor Japanese design or both, but I will never buy Honda ever again.

Misrepresentaion by Honda
By Sheree

2001 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought what I thought was a certified used Honda Passport still under warranty for my 16 yr old daughter in 2004. I have spent over $10,000 in repairs in five years. The transmission just went out for the second time with only 116,000 miles on the odometer. The car is actually an Isuzu Rodeo with Honda's name on it. This car is a piece of junk.

none

Honda needs to stand behind their name.

Worst Vehicle
By Bill O

2001 Honda Passport SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned in my 27 years of driving. For an SUV, it is really noisy and the ride is horrible..( suspension) I have spent many wasted $$$$$$ on constant repairs and maint. I have spoken extensively to many mechanics and dealerships and ALL of them familiar with this vehicle say that it's Honda's ( Isuzu ) biggest black eye hands down...This vehicle make me shy away from ever purchasing another Honda product. Sad...real sad!