2001 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:
It's an okay car
By holdem185 on 12/15/11 16:36 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Passport EX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car has made me so mad on numerous occasions. On 2 different times it randomly shut off while I was making a turn. I had to get the transmission fixed because it was leaking fluid. The suv doesn't use oil properly. This thing has just left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm so glad I just sold it, hopefully i get my reliable toyota 4runner for Christmas.

Well, mine is good
By redg on 04/04/11 09:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Passport LX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've read all the reviews and I did have to replace the fuel sensor at about 35000 miles ($450). The ride is rough without a couple bags of sand in the rear. I've had virtually NO problems with this car. The Check Engine light started coming on. Removed the EGR Valve (in a very easy location) and cleaned out the carbon to good results. Would I buy it again? Probably not. My friend's Mazda Tribute was the same year, got better gas mileage, rode much better and had no problems at all.

I mean it, dont buy this SUV!
By dont buy this SUV! on 06/08/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Passport LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I owned this SUV for almost four years, and for the first 3 years, it ran well, had no problems. Once I hit about 90K miles, the problems came. First, the oil leak around the front transfer casing (almost $1K), a replaced gasket ($500), then a blown computer chip which immobilized the SUV ($2000). Then, a second blown computer chip, (free, due to warranty of first chip), fuel tank sensor ($150) and last but not least, a short in the main engine wire housing which relays all the sensors to the computer (to diagnose the problem $500, to actually fix, $2.5 K). After diagnosing the wire housing problem, which took two dealerships 6 weeks and no loaner car, I washed my hands of this lemon.

Misrepresentaion by Honda
By Sheree on 11/02/09 09:27 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Passport EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought what I thought was a certified used Honda Passport still under warranty for my 16 yr old daughter in 2004. I have spent over $10,000 in repairs in five years. The transmission just went out for the second time with only 116,000 miles on the odometer. The car is actually an Isuzu Rodeo with Honda's name on it. This car is a piece of junk.

Worst Vehicle
By Bill O on 05/13/09 05:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Passport EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned in my 27 years of driving. For an SUV, it is really noisy and the ride is horrible..( suspension) I have spent many wasted $$$$$$ on constant repairs and maint. I have spoken extensively to many mechanics and dealerships and ALL of them familiar with this vehicle say that it's Honda's ( Isuzu ) biggest black eye hands down...This vehicle make me shy away from ever purchasing another Honda product. Sad...real sad!

Great Suv
By Honda lova on 09/11/05 23:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Passport EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

bought a 2001 in feb. handles corners great gives good power for its 205hp. Very dependable never left me stranded great off road as well.

Disappointing
By njbrit on 08/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Passport LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5M)

I had resisted buying an SUV, but the Subaru dealer I went to for an Outback was so obnoxious, I went to Honda. They were clearing out the 2001's and I got a great price. The dealer however, did not tell me that I was not getting a Honda, but an Izuzu - with Honda badges. I have hated this SUV since the first long distance (250 miles) trip. It's uncomfortable, noisy and thirsty. Also, every time we drive on an expressway for more than 30 miles or so, when we stop the thing sounds liek a diesel - but the dealer has "never heard of a problem like that" and "can't find anything wrong". To be honest, I don't know why we still own it.

YOU CAN DEPEND ON A HONDA
By FROGILENE on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Passport EX 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

WE LIVE IN A RURAL AREA AND PART OF OUR DRIVING IS OVER ROADS THAT ARE NOT KEPT VERY WELL. THIS VEHICLE HAS PASSED OVER THESE ROADS AT LEAST 6 DAYS A WEEK FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS AND STILL DOES NOT HAVE A SHAKE OR RATTLE. WE HAVE NEVER OWNED A CAR WE COULD SAY THAT ABOUT, NOT EVEN MY HUSBAND'S 4-WHEEL DRIVE PICKUP. I FEEL VERY CONFIDENT THIS WILL BE A CAR WE WILL BE ABLE TO DRIVE ALONG TIME AFTER'S IT'S PAID FOR IF WE CHOOSE TO.

Great Mid-sized SUV
By TommyV on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Passport EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

Great mid-sized SUV. Bigger than the Liberty, more cargo space than the Mercedes or BMW. This is a REAL truck, built on a truck frame by a truck manufacturer (Isuzu), so if you're looking for a feather soft ride, pass this one by and be prepared to spend some more cash too. We didn't want to go the mini-van route and we wanted 4WD, so this is what we chose. If you're a mid-sized pick-up truck guy or gal and find yourself in the "family way", don't want to give up the feel of your 4wd pickup, but don't have the cash for a new crew-cab - this is the way to go.

Solid truck!
By 1st_suv on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Passport EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 4A)

After moving to Denver CO we purchased our first SUV. With nearly 20k miles of varying duties, our 01 Passport has suited us extremely well. The cabin is well laid out and the 4wd is a snap to use. It has handled 4wd in the snow to our favorite ski areas and off road in the mountains getting us to to places only accessable by 4wd. The large cargo area and easy folding rear seats been extremely useful. Steering and braking is predicatble and what we would expect for an SUV based on a truck frame.