Used 1999 Honda Passport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Passport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

Definitely an AMAZING car!!
By stevie333

1999 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad bought me my Honda Passport EX 4WD in September 2008, it is my first car. I love this car very much, it seems to be very dependable and it is a great looking car. We bought it with 112000 miles on it. We had a huge snow storm and this car made it through it perfectly! I was shocked! I couldn't believe how well the 4WD worked! Definitely a great car for $7000. Honda Passports are great!

4WD for sure, leather interior, wood trim (all in flawless condition!). Exterior looks fantastic (perfect condition also). The running boards that got put on extra. The controls are easy to use. I love everything about this car!

I couldn't really think of anything, except that both mine and my dad's Passports' back speakers blew out. But that's not a big deal. And that's my only complaint :]

Would buy another!
By Costa

1999 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car certified used with 32k miles. It now has 139k miles and going strong. Only major service has been a new transmission, but nothing else major. This car has great looks, roomy interior and does well on gas. There is tons of room with all the seats flat. I've managed to move twice using this car for almost all the furniture pieces and it is a great car as a restaurant owner. Definitely better than the competition (Pathfinder, Montero Sport)in all aspects. I would definitely buy another if they still made them. Pilot is nice, but too much of a family car.

The amount of room with all the seats down. Perfect for hauling furniture/equipment. Larger than normal sunroof. Full size spare on the exterior that way people that don't know how to park in the city don't scratch my bumper. Rear bumper is scratch free.

Higher armrest.

Lots of Problems with Mine
By gladitsgone

1999 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Passport under the Certified Vehicle Program when it was 2 yrs old. I'm glad I did, because the warranty covered 2 of my 3 intake gasket replacements, plus a bunch of other continuous problems. The dealer told me the gasket problem was a defect in the production of this vehicle by ISUZU, and that they had a lot of Passports come through with the same problem. I loved the exterior look, the interior styling was sharp, and it had plenty of room. Too bad I couldn't go a year without taking it in for some sort of repair. I just sold it at 133,000 miles, and it now needs a EGR valve replacement.

Great at towing, lots of interior room, classy outer and interior.

Since it's already 9 years old, this won't matter much. Better Intake gasket design would be my number one priority.

Bad Buy
By Kelly S

1999 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved this vehicle when I bought it. Honda is a good buy in general, but I soon discovered this model had an Isuzu engine which had been discontinued due to problems. After one year my transmission died. Under warranty $1700 then a year and a half later, $4900 to fix the blown engine and replace computer for engine. It's been only six months since and AGAIN my gears lurch when increasing speed and brakes grind. Interior plastic around windows have fallen off, and gas gauge is broken. Plus the engine light which comes on all the time. Very bad buy. Expensive fixer upper.

Love the 4WD in winter. I also really like the roominess.

Gas gauge, better engine, gas economy, sturdier plastic interior (falls apart a lot), better engine computer.

Problems
By MT TROBLE

1999 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV

I bought mine in 2003, soon afer I had problems with. The first major problem was the in take valve gasket went out that cost $400. That last for 3 years, then same problem repeated. There is problem with transmission. Once in while it would shift very rough but goes away after turn off and restart it.

It has power v6