1999 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:
Gas Guage
By taboo2 on 01/06/11 12:46 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Great vehicle. Just had mine fixed under the recall. wondered how many Passport's have problems with their fuel gauge. Mines out and the one at work is out

Some problems with this one
By Blake on 11/19/09 14:21 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Bought w/ 50k mi on it, drove it till 158k, then the tranny locked up. Engine works great but needs a quart every 3000 mi. Replaced: radiator, starter, window switches, batteries (3). Gas guage never worked, get about 400 mi on a tank. ABS light is on, brakes are dicey, esp when towing. Rear gate lock broke into the door, now I can't open the back, which was lame anyway with the insufficient support of the back glass dropping on your head. Yes, it's for sale - need something reliable.

Happy Trails
By Michael on 07/26/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

I purchased my Honda new. I drove it for six years. The only maintenance was oil changes, tires and a battery.

Please Rethink
By HatedIt on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Just wanted to save some people the heartache of owning one of these. I bought the extended warranty on this vehicle and have gotten my money back and then some. Major problems: Transmission is sealed and very expensive to have serviced, shocks blown at 50k miles, leaks at door seals, ignition coils went out at 70k miles.

Good
By Jaxy on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Good, economical SUV... Good gas milage for a SUV, Dependible Honda enginering, High functionality, Not a lot of wasted space... Its not a bus. Easy access to fluid chambers under hood.

There are better ones
By Mr49er on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

I bought my Passport for my wife. She absolutely loves it. I, on the other hand, find it very uncomfortable to drive. On the passenger side, however, it's nicer. I keep having problems with the check engine light coming on and no Honda dealer can tell me why. I don't think Honda made a good move to team with Isuzu just to get into the SUV market. Like I said, "there are better ones".

Death Trap
By In a Death Trap on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

The Passport was bought used with 30K miles. In less than a year, the ABS system had to be replaced, the Check Engine light enables & disenables on a regular basis, the gas gauge broke & the component for that was replaced, & the computer require "adjustment". The worst thing of all, while driving & no method to the madness, the engine simply turns off. It's an automatic & is very difficult to stop without the engine on. I sincerely fear for my & my children's lives (age 7 mos. & 8 years). Honda should take some responsibility for this one.

An Excellent SUV
By The Man on 03/12/02 22:31 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

This SUV is what you want your money to get you. It has the power you want and the looks you want. It blew my girlfriend's Explorer rite off the road, and my neighbor's V8 Grand Cherokee can't even keep up with my stock Passport. For $25,000 the Passport offers comfortable seats, great cargo room, and a Ready-To-Deliver-Power V6 Engine.

Great SUV
By Tasha Rosenberg on 03/12/02 22:25 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

I've had my passport since 1999 and I couldn't be happier with it.

An Excellent Car
By Seldonater on 03/12/02 22:18 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

This car handles very well, even at over 70 MPH. The Passport V6 achieves around 20mpg with mostly freeway use, and the engine is always ready to press you against the seat. The seating is quite comfortable and the engine sounds great. It blew the doors of my girlfriend's Explorer and had better pick up than my neighbor's V8 Grand Cherokee.