1999 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:
Gas Guage
By taboo2 on 01/06/11 12:46 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Great vehicle. Just had mine fixed under the recall. wondered how many Passport's have problems with their fuel gauge. Mines out and the one at work is out

Best, most reliable vehicle out of 10
By Bob Caz on 03/02/10 18:32 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1999 Passport new, best vehicle -- reliability and low maintenance -- I have ever owned out of 10 cars. 162,000 miles now and still going strong. Only two batteries and 3 set of tires. Absolutely no major repair costs. I have the Passport serviced every 3000 miles. Love it and will keep it until it gets tired of me.

Tough Little Truck
By Randy on 02/17/10 10:41 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Honda Passport brand new in Anchorage Alaska. It came with a 5 speed manual transmission. I changed the battery and do all my own oil changes, tire rotations. You know, the basic stuff. I take it to the dealer for major maintenance. This Honda will run forever! I have over 120,000 miles and still running strong. The few problems I had over the years are: fuel gauge unit went bad in 2009, fan clutch went bad in 2008 and rear window wiper motor went out on me in 2007. The only real engine problem I have ever had was the mass air flow sensor went out on me in 2006 causing the check engine light to come on. Other than that, when I turn the key, it starts!

Some problems with this one
By Blake on 11/19/09 14:21 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Bought w/ 50k mi on it, drove it till 158k, then the tranny locked up. Engine works great but needs a quart every 3000 mi. Replaced: radiator, starter, window switches, batteries (3). Gas guage never worked, get about 400 mi on a tank. ABS light is on, brakes are dicey, esp when towing. Rear gate lock broke into the door, now I can't open the back, which was lame anyway with the insufficient support of the back glass dropping on your head. Yes, it's for sale - need something reliable.

I love it
By cav on 10/28/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I really like it for being a foreign car. I have heard nothing but the best about Honda so I bought one. It's great except I don't like how they go through a quart of oil per month that bugs me. I have tried my hardest to get it stuck but that 4x4 low comes through every time. I'm excited for the snow - see if I can't get stuck in that.

Definitely an AMAZING car!!
By stevie333 on 01/06/09 17:34 PM (PST)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad bought me my Honda Passport EX 4WD in September 2008, it is my first car. I love this car very much, it seems to be very dependable and it is a great looking car. We bought it with 112000 miles on it. We had a huge snow storm and this car made it through it perfectly! I was shocked! I couldn't believe how well the 4WD worked! Definitely a great car for $7000. Honda Passports are great!

Would buy another!
By Costa on 07/10/08 14:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car certified used with 32k miles. It now has 139k miles and going strong. Only major service has been a new transmission, but nothing else major. This car has great looks, roomy interior and does well on gas. There is tons of room with all the seats flat. I've managed to move twice using this car for almost all the furniture pieces and it is a great car as a restaurant owner. Definitely better than the competition (Pathfinder, Montero Sport)in all aspects. I would definitely buy another if they still made them. Pilot is nice, but too much of a family car.

Lots of Problems with Mine
By gladitsgone on 05/20/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Passport under the Certified Vehicle Program when it was 2 yrs old. I'm glad I did, because the warranty covered 2 of my 3 intake gasket replacements, plus a bunch of other continuous problems. The dealer told me the gasket problem was a defect in the production of this vehicle by ISUZU, and that they had a lot of Passports come through with the same problem. I loved the exterior look, the interior styling was sharp, and it had plenty of room. Too bad I couldn't go a year without taking it in for some sort of repair. I just sold it at 133,000 miles, and it now needs a EGR valve replacement.

Bad Buy
By Kelly S on 07/25/07 19:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I loved this vehicle when I bought it. Honda is a good buy in general, but I soon discovered this model had an Isuzu engine which had been discontinued due to problems. After one year my transmission died. Under warranty $1700 then a year and a half later, $4900 to fix the blown engine and replace computer for engine. It's been only six months since and AGAIN my gears lurch when increasing speed and brakes grind. Interior plastic around windows have fallen off, and gas gauge is broken. Plus the engine light which comes on all the time. Very bad buy. Expensive fixer upper.

Problems
By MT TROBLE on 05/14/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV

I bought mine in 2003, soon afer I had problems with. The first major problem was the in take valve gasket went out that cost $400. That last for 3 years, then same problem repeated. There is problem with transmission. Once in while it would shift very rough but goes away after turn off and restart it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »