Used 1999 Honda Passport Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Passport

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

***204000 miles still going strong!
By Sbaker

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought it with 160000 miles on it. I had heard these engines weren't much to brag on. 204000 miles IS something to brag on. It's been SUPER dependable. Living in the south, we don't get much ice. When we do get ice, we aren't equipped for it. On the passport, you don't need your 4 wheel drive button, you need your winter button. It does great job and I've had no real issues. I will paint it and keep it till the cows come home.

Gas Guage
By taboo2

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Great vehicle. Just had mine fixed under the recall. wondered how many Passport's have problems with their fuel gauge. Mines out and the one at work is out

Best, most reliable vehicle out of 10
By Bob Caz

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 1999 Passport new, best vehicle -- reliability and low maintenance -- I have ever owned out of 10 cars. 162,000 miles now and still going strong. Only two batteries and 3 set of tires. Absolutely no major repair costs. I have the Passport serviced every 3000 miles. Love it and will keep it until it gets tired of me.

exterior and interior design, handling,and superior performance in general.

No longer manufactured, but can't think of any improvements.

Tough Little Truck
By Randy

1999 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1999 Honda Passport brand new in Anchorage Alaska. It came with a 5 speed manual transmission. I changed the battery and do all my own oil changes, tire rotations. You know, the basic stuff. I take it to the dealer for major maintenance. This Honda will run forever! I have over 120,000 miles and still running strong. The few problems I had over the years are: fuel gauge unit went bad in 2009, fan clutch went bad in 2008 and rear window wiper motor went out on me in 2007. The only real engine problem I have ever had was the mass air flow sensor went out on me in 2006 causing the check engine light to come on. Other than that, when I turn the key, it starts!

Reliable, Dependable, Good Looks.I towed my motorcycle from Alaska to South Dakota without any problems. I will drive my Passport until it dies which will be no time soon.

More comfortable suspension. Better gas mileage.

Some problems with this one
By Blake

1999 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV

Bought w/ 50k mi on it, drove it till 158k, then the tranny locked up. Engine works great but needs a quart every 3000 mi. Replaced: radiator, starter, window switches, batteries (3). Gas guage never worked, get about 400 mi on a tank. ABS light is on, brakes are dicey, esp when towing. Rear gate lock broke into the door, now I can't open the back, which was lame anyway with the insufficient support of the back glass dropping on your head. Yes, it's for sale - need something reliable.

Engine is good, tranny not. Looks decent.

Water drains onto window switches, then they burn out $$ to replace. Rear gate opening improvement. Brake system. Gas gauge. Windshield washer jets clog easy.