Used 1998 Honda Passport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

Glad I have it
By Rodney

1998 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Passport with 69,000 miles on it, has ben great overall, I get 23 highway and 17 city, Have to replace water pump at 150,000 and the front shafts soon, not bad for 170,000 miles on it,little things have gone bad but nothing real costly, will but a Ridgeline next. Wife loves it to.

Love the back seats fold down, and have the tent that hooks to the rear great for camping

Would have been great if it came with a trailer hitch

Comfortable, tough, my favorite so far...
By themaninthemoon

1998 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle almost 4 years now, and I gotta say it has been fantastic, no problems at all... I drive it to school and work all around the city. It is strong enough to take the continuous stop and go streets and comfortable enough for road trips. Amazing fuel mileage, as a college student I travel more than 30 miles a day and it is still up and running. This is my first car and my best so far. The only problem I had recently was the radiator, it broke but replaced it, and no other problems. Though make note that I took excellent care of the engine and the vehicle in general...

Very comfortable. There is enough space inside. Gas Mileage. Overall performance.

Drive it like you stole it
By faceplant

1998 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV

I bought it used. Loved the feel of the strong V6. Not strong anymore, 56k to 152k. Gaskets and seals are now a problem. It is burning a lot of oil. The car really started to act up. No idle, stalling. Cleaned carbon out of the throttle body, replaced the MassAirSensor. Fuel gauge broke. Driver's window broke. Rear door key broke. I put the largest tires I could on it for a better ride. Feels good. AC is always perfect. Water pump, alternator, fan pulley all replaced. Installed electric fan with thermostatic switch. I really feel I've got all I can out of this car and it still runs OK. Auto auctions love these cars because they sell great in S. America.

Driving over small brush in the parks. It's an SUV! Drives great. New, it had good power. Love the wind up on the power band in the standard tranny.

I'm 6'1'' and 200 lbs. The seats are not supported of my average weight, especially under the knees. I can't put the seat back far enough so I compensate by raking the seat backwards.

98 Honda Passport
By tmc

1998 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I love my Passport. Having been a Toyota man for years, I have one problem. It doesn't get the fuel economy I hoped for. I know it is a V6 4WD, but I was hoping for better than 14 mpg. Otherwise, I absolutely love it. Note to prospective buyers, the Honda Passport was built by Isuzu. The Honda Pilot, which replaced the Passport is built by Honda. Just an FYI.

Stereo, Rear DVD Player, comfortable ride, no road noise.

Needs better mpg.

Passport
By Tonya

1998 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

It has problems with the CV joints/boots. Also has had two leaks in the brake line.