Used 1997 Honda Passport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Passport

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

passport
By Ty Mosler

1997 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Performance is good. Roomy interior - especially passenger seating. Poor gas mileage 15-20 mpg's. Minor issues - broken passenger window mechanism, broken driver windshield wiper mechanism.

Favorite Features

stereo, 4WD, size of cargo space when seats are folded down

Suggested Improvements

somewhat of a loud interior. the wheel on the back is nice since it frees up more cargo room, but can become a nuisance when getting in the back.

1997 Honda Passport Review
By Tom R

1997 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I am constantly doing engine and drivetrain repairs on this vehicle. The engine has a constant tick from the valves. At higher speeds there is a lot of wind noise coming from the doors. I would not recommend owning this vehicle.

Favorite Features

It drives well in bad weather, plenty of leg room (front and back), and it is easy to drive. Decent horse power.

Suggested Improvements

Better cushioned seats, more (and better placed) cup holders. A small V8 engine would be better suited to get more torque.

Honda Passport Ugghh
By Angelina

1997 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

My husband and I wanted a reliable, dependable and safe vehicle. We got a safe vehicle. We bought the car with about 30000 miles in Jan99. Almost immediately we had problems. Within the first year we had a new alternator, starter, and battery. Since than we have had a new transmission and currently our vehicle is in the dealership waiting for a new cataylic converter (two weeks)- THANK GOD WE BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! I had a Honda Civic prior to this Passport and loved the car!!! No problems. We also bought a used Grand Prix (94), 6 months prior to the Passport, it has 97,000 miles and we have had to replace 3 fuel injectors and that's it?!?!?!

Favorite Features

Good pick up-drives smooth. Roomy backseat and front seat!

Suggested Improvements

Wow where to begin! Build a dependable and reliable vehicle.

A Best Buy!!
By Pendora

1997 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the fist car that I havent had one problem with. It truely is a great buy. I would recommend them to anyone!

Favorite Features

Interior, size, great for long drives..very comfy

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that I can think of..and I've had mine for 2 years

Honest Opinion
By David22

1997 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Here are the problems that I encountered: power windows regulators kept going out & noisey lifters during colder seasons. I did research and found that the noisey lifters are a common theme with these vehicles, but no recall existed. I decided to get rid of the vehicle since different noises started to occur sporadically from the engine and no shop could diagnose the problem. I was concerned about reliability and longevity. Overall, if the vehicle didn't have the engine problems, I would still own this vehicle. Other than build quality issues, I loved the vehicle styling.

Favorite Features

Interior setup and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality and reliability improvements.