1997 Honda Passport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passport model:
149,000 Miles and still strong
By mfredrickson on 01/15/13 09:09 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

When purchasing a fifteen year old car, one must be wise. There are a plethora of aspects within an old car that can go wrong, no matter how well built the car is. However, I lucked out. I purchased my 97 Red Honda Passport 4x4 Loaded out with everything but leather and a sunroof over a year ago now. I bought it with a low 130,000 miles and since have put about 20,000 on within the one year of ownership Ive had. It has been a fantastic car. Only problems I have had was an old alternator and a bad window motor. My Suv has brought me through many a snow storm in one piece and keeps on running strong day in and day out. Overall, I love my passport. It isn't perfect, but it is darn good.

1997 Honda Passport LX
By Dennis on 03/05/07 10:59 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV

I think this Isuzu built vehicle was designed well for 1997. Ten years later (2007) leads me to believe that better fuel economy and interior design improvements highlight the weaknesses of this vehicle. I've got 140,000 miles on it and maintain it on an above average scale and although it runs fairly well, engine power is weaker, fuel economy has slipped and interior amenities (e.g. lack of any cup holders and minimal front/back seat storage space)stand out. The spare tire location on the exterior of the tailgate blocks some rear window view.

Too many problems w/ vehicle
By Diane Schnell on 08/09/05 12:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I have had a few trips to my mechanic on this vehicle. They are still baffled w/ not being able to pin point a misfiring that keeps the vehicle bogging then lunging! It has been taken apart 4 times now and replaced oxygen flow sensor, 02's and other stuff and still can't keep the check engine light off or find the problem. It is horrible on gas mileage!! Obviously this year needed a recall... and I have had nothing but problems since I purchased from a private party 4 months ago.

safe thankfully to car
By gratefullysafe on 05/29/05 03:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV

We bought a 97'passport used for our teenage daughter's as her first car. Four months later, with her 2 best friends along for the ride, she hydroplaned and and sheared off a tree. The tree hit the front of the car direct center and came to rest on the roof! The air bags deployed as they were designed to do. The only injuries were minor burns from the drivers side airbag. As the police officer said "the girls were very lucky" "usually it is the tree that lives and the people don't" I credit the passport's amazing structural design. Yes the car was total loss by the insurance standard but it was quite a sight to see the tree on top of the roof and the roof not even dented.

I wish I would've read a review first!!!
By ms.d on 01/30/05 19:57 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was great for the first year and then the engine started clicking. It only stops after you get the oil changed and the noise elimination only lasted a month. It sometimes felt like it was trying to pull itself. I was told that this was the worst used car to buy after the fact. The driver leg space is horrible b/c the seat doesn't adjust back that far. I'm 5'3 and had trouble when i wore stilettos. If you hit the slightest bump it knocks it out of alignment. It seemed like the longer I drove it the gas mileage got worse. Overall do not buy this car!!!!!! It's a waste of money. No wonder you see so many used ones on car lots.

passport
By Ty Mosler on 12/06/04 13:04 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Performance is good. Roomy interior - especially passenger seating. Poor gas mileage 15-20 mpg's. Minor issues - broken passenger window mechanism, broken driver windshield wiper mechanism.

1997 Honda Passport Review
By Tom R on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I am constantly doing engine and drivetrain repairs on this vehicle. The engine has a constant tick from the valves. At higher speeds there is a lot of wind noise coming from the doors. I would not recommend owning this vehicle.

Honda Passport Ugghh
By Angelina on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

My husband and I wanted a reliable, dependable and safe vehicle. We got a safe vehicle. We bought the car with about 30000 miles in Jan99. Almost immediately we had problems. Within the first year we had a new alternator, starter, and battery. Since than we have had a new transmission and currently our vehicle is in the dealership waiting for a new cataylic converter (two weeks)- THANK GOD WE BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! I had a Honda Civic prior to this Passport and loved the car!!! No problems. We also bought a used Grand Prix (94), 6 months prior to the Passport, it has 97,000 miles and we have had to replace 3 fuel injectors and that's it?!?!?!

A Best Buy!!
By Pendora on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the fist car that I havent had one problem with. It truely is a great buy. I would recommend them to anyone!

Honest Opinion
By David22 on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Here are the problems that I encountered: power windows regulators kept going out & noisey lifters during colder seasons. I did research and found that the noisey lifters are a common theme with these vehicles, but no recall existed. I decided to get rid of the vehicle since different noises started to occur sporadically from the engine and no shop could diagnose the problem. I was concerned about reliability and longevity. Overall, if the vehicle didn't have the engine problems, I would still own this vehicle. Other than build quality issues, I loved the vehicle styling.