Used 1997 Honda Passport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Passport

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

149,000 Miles and still strong
By mfredrickson

1997 Honda Passport EX 4dr SUV 4WD

When purchasing a fifteen year old car, one must be wise. There are a plethora of aspects within an old car that can go wrong, no matter how well built the car is. However, I lucked out. I purchased my 97 Red Honda Passport 4x4 Loaded out with everything but leather and a sunroof over a year ago now. I bought it with a low 130,000 miles and since have put about 20,000 on within the one year of ownership Ive had. It has been a fantastic car. Only problems I have had was an old alternator and a bad window motor. My Suv has brought me through many a snow storm in one piece and keeps on running strong day in and day out. Overall, I love my passport. It isn't perfect, but it is darn good.

Favorite Features

I love the style of the exterior. The 4x4 system is great when in a bind. Its got a decent amount of get up and go for a big old suv. I have also gotten up to 23 mpg with it on long commutes. Not bad for an old truck.

Suggested Improvements

The windows whistle when driving over 70 in it..That is frustrating. It also has one cup holder..Why? The wheels get out of alignment pretty easily too. Those provide some frustration.

1997 Honda Passport LX
By Dennis

1997 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV

I think this Isuzu built vehicle was designed well for 1997. Ten years later (2007) leads me to believe that better fuel economy and interior design improvements highlight the weaknesses of this vehicle. I've got 140,000 miles on it and maintain it on an above average scale and although it runs fairly well, engine power is weaker, fuel economy has slipped and interior amenities (e.g. lack of any cup holders and minimal front/back seat storage space)stand out. The spare tire location on the exterior of the tailgate blocks some rear window view.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders!!!! Maximize underseat storage availability

Too many problems w/ vehicle
By Diane Schnell

1997 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

Well I have had a few trips to my mechanic on this vehicle. They are still baffled w/ not being able to pin point a misfiring that keeps the vehicle bogging then lunging! It has been taken apart 4 times now and replaced oxygen flow sensor, 02's and other stuff and still can't keep the check engine light off or find the problem. It is horrible on gas mileage!! Obviously this year needed a recall... and I have had nothing but problems since I purchased from a private party 4 months ago.

safe thankfully to car
By gratefullysafe

1997 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV

We bought a 97'passport used for our teenage daughter's as her first car. Four months later, with her 2 best friends along for the ride, she hydroplaned and and sheared off a tree. The tree hit the front of the car direct center and came to rest on the roof! The air bags deployed as they were designed to do. The only injuries were minor burns from the drivers side airbag. As the police officer said "the girls were very lucky" "usually it is the tree that lives and the people don't" I credit the passport's amazing structural design. Yes the car was total loss by the insurance standard but it was quite a sight to see the tree on top of the roof and the roof not even dented.

Favorite Features

the ease of putting seats down to arrange for storage and cargo

Suggested Improvements

cup holders. remove the spare tire from the back as it makes it more difficult to open rear door and harder to see out back window.

I wish I would've read a review first!!!
By ms.d

1997 Honda Passport LX 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was great for the first year and then the engine started clicking. It only stops after you get the oil changed and the noise elimination only lasted a month. It sometimes felt like it was trying to pull itself. I was told that this was the worst used car to buy after the fact. The driver leg space is horrible b/c the seat doesn't adjust back that far. I'm 5'3 and had trouble when i wore stilettos. If you hit the slightest bump it knocks it out of alignment. It seemed like the longer I drove it the gas mileage got worse. Overall do not buy this car!!!!!! It's a waste of money. No wonder you see so many used ones on car lots.

Favorite Features

The 4x4 got me out of the mud a couple of times. The heat was awesome!!!

Suggested Improvements

Everything else!!!!