Used 1996 Honda Passport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Passport - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Passport SUV

View reviews for a specific Passport model:

i love it,i hate it
By pitbull

1996 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently bought my passport used,with 120.000 miles on it,it initially ran great; until it decided to drop every solenoid and control devices to actuate the 4wd, after repairing all that, it then decided to fail just about every emission control sensor/device under the hood ive replaced the a/i/c, the m/a/p,t/p/s and the m/a/f, and still have problems with a check engine light and, driveability....like i said its really a joy to drive when it wants to run. also to my dismay,it being an isuzu..there are isuzu parts, general motors parts,and some componentry that can be listed as idk???? so the prices for these parts vary from expensive to outrageous. i love it i hate it....

Favorite Features

on the fly 4wd,lots of room for a mid size suv, split rear seats, good on gas,easy to drive,good power,v-6,pulls through snow like it was on dry pavement(im from wi) awesome turn radius

Suggested Improvements

better seating would've been nice, a cup holder or two, less engine management (shoulve chose a m/a/f or m/a/p NOT BOTH!!redundant controls= more problems),better rear speaker location,the drop bubbles are annoying

Great lil' SUV
By Colton P

1996 Honda Passport SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle because I needed something more reliable than my old truck after I wrecked my Jeep. So far, its been pretty good. I took care of a couple of precautionary measures (belts, engine tune, etc.) and had to replace one window motor (easy to do, and it cost me $45). This little vehicle is great, it gets pretty good gas mileage. I love the 4wd on the fly. I have a black one, and recently put on a chrome brush guard and had the windows tinted really dark. This is one mean looking SUV now. I can get it to 45 mph from a dead stop in 50 yards. Great interior layout, and its pretty comfortable. Did I mention it looks cool? Great buy for a used car.

Favorite Features

Folding seats, 4wd "on the fly", folding tire carrier, great looks, gas mileage, power, split rear hatch

Suggested Improvements

More cupholders, more aftermarket accessories (hard to find a lift kit, brush guard, etc.), its only a rodeo with honda stickers

Love it to death
By Honda Man

1996 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 96 Passport with 218,000 and counting. Mechanical issues have been almost non existent. I use it to drive on the beach, pull my trailer and it has been on several family vacations. Most wonderful vehicle I have ever owned Honda buyer for life.

1996 Honda Passport 4 DR LX 4WD Wagon
By Imposter

1996 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

Wow. Honda sure pulled the wool over the eyes of some of us naive Honda lovers. I am driving nothing more than an Isuzu Rodeo with Honda emblems. Bought this vehicle with 80K miles in 03. Since then, I have replaced 3 electric window motors, two rear gate gas shocks and it has a constant lifter ticking for which there doesn't seem to be a solution. A good looking SUV, especially in 1996 but this one is "egg on the face" for Honda Motors.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats

Suggested Improvements

For Honda to do their own design work next time and don't rely on an inferior manufacturer just to get a certain body style (SUV) on the market to compete with those who got the jump on them. FYI.. We just purchased a Civic.. Love it.

It leaks from everywhere!!
By JJA78

1996 Honda Passport SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD

It is difficult for me to think of a spot in this vehicle that does not leak. Oil leak, sunroof leak, door leak, window leak, and radiator leak ... all culminating in the last nine months. Didn't do so great in the Colorado Rockies either. Major lack of power at higher altitudes.

Favorite Features

Appealing to the eye and easy to drive.