Used 2014 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2014 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Don't do it
By Jignesh patel

2014 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I Head Honda OdYssey 2006 excellent great I loved it and I bought new 2014 this vehicle is not worth the money too much headache too much trouble I would not recommend anyone to purchase this vehicle I have one and I want to sell it , I'm going with Toyota

Transmission with a mind of it's own.
By John A Campbell II

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When decelerating in town driving, the transmission shifts are eratic and when you accelerate the transmission will down shift and the car jumps forward at times it has put me in a dangerous situation.

When at highway speed and going up a hill or incline the engine misfires.

Between the engine misfire and the eratic transmission shifts I some times hate having to drive this thing anywhere especially in traffic.

Of course the dealer said all is normal no codes. I am a retired mechanic and this is not normal.

I expected more from Honda.

Meets my needs!
By Jim Thwaites

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Rear Entertainment 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Dancing mini-van, my car can shimmy at 65mph!
By tom roach

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The brake rotors wear choppy causing high speed vibration(over 60 mph) in the steering . Dealer claims it is normal and nothing to be addressed!

Mostly Improved Over Previous Years
By CN

2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had this one for about 18 months and 31,000 miles now. We bought it to replace a 2012 Odyssey that was a disappointment on many levels. So far, it has been trouble-free. Around town we average about 24 mpg and on the open road we can count on 29-30 mpg running at 70-75 mph.

While the 2012 and 2014 are essentially identical, most of the improvements are behind the scenes in that Honda has generally improved how systems operate. The auto headlights, for example, have better logic for the day/night mode switching, and the instrument lighting switching has been separated from the headlight switching. The cylinder shutoff system (VCM) is less noticeable (the 2012's was abysmal). Having the built-in vacuum is a nice touch, though we wish it were a bit more powerful. It also seems a bit quieter than the 2012 was (better active noise control?).

On the downside, like the 2012 (and our 2003 as well) before it, front brake rotors warp too easily. Personally, I think they are undersized for a 4,500 lb. vehicle. The transmission is smoother than the 2012, but Honda has yet to figure out how to make a smooth-shifting transmission...on any car they sell. Cold operation is particularly lousy. Our biggest beef, though, is with the infotainment system. Migrating the radio/CD player to a touchscreen while keeping the joystick/knob controller was a mistake. The system response is slower and the programming changes they made to the navigation system make it harder to enter a destination. It also resulted in the loss of the pull-out cupholder/drawer, which was a nice feature to have. In those regards the 2012 arrangement was better.

Overall, we are happier with the 2014. Hopefully, it will continue to give trouble-free operation.