2014 Honda Odyssey LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Ongoing mechanical failures
By hcooley3 on 03/23/15 14:58 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our 2014 Oddy in late 2013 after testing out all other competing vans. We loved the styling, the way the van drove, and believed in Honda reliability. Fast forward 18 months and we cannot wait to get rid of this van. The transmission went out two months ago at 16K miles (replaced) and was quickly followed by failed power steering (also replaced). The van was towed to the dealership this morning because we found a 3-foot diameter puddle of fresh transmission fluid on our garage floor. The tranny issues started as other people have written in their reviews. People, beware of this van. We are lobbying the dealership and Honda Corporate for a replacement.

Front end suspension noise!
By vabeach1 on 01/08/15 23:07 PM (PST)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Navigation 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this van brand new in September 2014 and just traded it in with only 2300 miles on it this month. The Odyssey has a horrible creaking front suspension noise that the dealership won't fix. The van is nice and new, but sounds like an old car that needs new shocks. After allowing the dealership to attempt to fix the problem four times and the van being in for service for over 39 days, we were told by Honda that they are aware of the problem and that they do not have a fix for it right now, so Honda is calling it normal noise. Long story short...there is no fix for it and Honda refused to do the Lemon Law. So, we just decided to trade it in on a better vehicle.

Transmission is going to be Trouble!
By roncarr on 10/03/14 06:48 AM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third Honda Odyssey (don't ask me why). My 2014 EX-L has the same problem with brake rotors warping every 12k miles. The driver's seat still lacks comfort for all-day driving ( I transport medical patients and run abt. 300 miles per day). This new 8-speed transmission will probably cause a class-action lawsuit... it's not going to last. Quite often when slowing for a stop light or other reason, and go to resume speed, the transmission acts like it does not know which gear to go into, and then finally goes into one with a thud! Had the OEM Fog Lights added to the tune of $600... don't waste your money, they throw light the first 3 feet and then nothing! Worthless.

Watch out for the transmission
By geh86 on 09/27/14 11:28 AM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This Ody replaced my 2003 Ody (I want to 2003 back!). I am very displeased with our 2014 Odyssey's shifting. Acceleration/deceleration is not smooth. This has nothing to do with ECO mode. I did not notice this issue on the test drive (should have done extensive city driving). The overall design of the van is nice, but had I foreseen the transmission issues, I would never have bought it. I could shoot myself for not buying the Sienna (which I had driven [not by choice] as a rental several times). I kept telling myself the Sienna's interior and features are not as nice. But annoying transmissions are far worse of an issue; definitely not worth the extra 2 miles per gallon!

Brakes
By cole27 on 09/16/14 15:51 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Rear Entertainment 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2nd honda odyssey. 1st was an 08 and it was great. Our 2014 on the other hand has 20000 miles on it and has had the rotors turned 3 times. Not replaced because that's not what the honda specs say to do so they grind them down. It also has a clunk in the front end. I called honda and they suggested the brakes got hot from riding them. The regional rep didn't seem to care and waived the resurfacing cost since the brakes are now out of warranty. No explaining why our 2008 didn't have that problem. We paid more so we could have a good vehicle and that doesn't seem to be the case. We even drive 2 hours to a certified dealer. I will trade very soon.

If You Have To Buy A Minivan.....
By scottque on 08/27/14 20:14 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have four kids ages 5-12, and this car just replaced our 2008 Touring. Honda just does a minivan right - this thing is a great kid-hauler. It has slightly more room inside than our '08, yet the van looks lower, sleeker, and less boxy than our old van. Decent acceleration, great turn radius, and quality interior materials. We have yet to hit the EPA mileage in the highway but on our only long trip in it thus far we had a cargo bag on the roof - which probably explains the 23 MPG. Thing drives much smaller than out is.

Our First Odyssey
By kcoughlan on 08/08/14 16:09 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Let's first start by saying that for the last 10 years we have driven an '05 Pontiac Montana SV6 that by far was the worst piece of garbage that any one could ever be forced to drive. It is sitting in our yard with a remote possibility that anyone will ever take it away, even for free.Worthless! We were able to purchase our new Odyssey at a Honda discounted price with amazing finance rate. ,one of the reasons we chose this over the Toyota Sienna.($4000+ in savings) So far the van has gone far beyond our expectations as far as quality.A few issues that are mentioned later. Runs great on the highway, although we have only been on a few trips with it.

Great car, but measurements on Honda website are misleading
By tcurtiss on 07/31/14 16:38 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just bought a new 2014 Odyssey. Got it home, and realized that the width of the vehicle, with the mirrors at normal driving position, did not fit in my garage (width of 92 inches). The website states the width is 79.2 inches, regardless of the style. But this measurement doesn't account for the mirrors. The REAL width of the car is about 92.5 inches, so in order to fit the car into a normal size garage opening, you have to pull one of the mirrors in before you enter the garage door entryway. Not a very good start and no one realizes this when you start looking. I measured my garage before starting to look, but never thought the Honda or Edmunds web sites would be incorrect.

The last Honda I will own!
By sheldon10 on 07/28/14 13:42 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is our fifth Honda. We bought it for the reliability that we have come to love and expect from Honda. The transmission is worthless in this vehicle. It jerks violently between 1st and 2nd gear. The problem is intermittent, but happens quite often (especially in Houston heat). I have brought it in 3 times now and the dealer thinks I am crazy. I spent $41,000 on a piece of trash. I am absolutely beside myself with frustration. I intend to pursue the lemon-law in the wonderful state of Texas. I would not wish this vehicle on my worst enemy!

Noisy top of the line
By luis44 on 06/24/14 13:44 PM (PDT)

2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Honda Odyssey Elite 2014, the top of the line Honda model, one which do not require additional purchases, has a flaw that detracts all positives, and apparently will not be acknowledged by Honda and its dealers. Purchased the vehicle brand new with very few miles. Upon driving the vehicle home for the first time, we noticed a very annoying sound coming from the front of the vehicle, anywhere from the windshield area, to sunroof, we yet do not know. Once the vehicle reaches freeway speeds of 70 plus this death rattle takes over. 3 times at dealership, resealing of windshield each time, but the noise persists. Call Honda, the feel nothing is wrong. Check forums regarding ugly noise.