Redesign not so functional
By gmlkz on
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I have been singing the praises of Honda for years and this is the 3rd that we've owned. Just got the 2012, and although they've added some great new features, I'm rather disappointed with some of the redesign. They took away a bunch of useful storage, which kept me neatly organized w/ my brew of kids & friends. their marketing materials now advertise how great it is to fit a piece of plywood in the back with the seats folded. That's great, but it no longer neatly fits my compact single stroller in the back with the seats up like the old model did. Seems like they forgot that many people purchasing minivans have kids, use storage, and push strollers, more often than hauling wood.
Favorite Features
Love the wider middle seat which can now fit a car seat, and still allow access to the back row.
Suggested Improvements
Negatives: Took away a ton of storage! In the floor storage gone. 2nd glove box gone. Storage in the jump seat gone. Even the storage in the back of the van is smaller. My stroller used to lie flat in the back, now has to be angled awkwardly, making it hard to put anything else back there. They put a built in storage console b/w front seats, which means there is no longer a place for an ice scraper neatly stored.
By stockmartyr
on 08/29/12 09:27 AM (PDT)

We had a 2007 Odyssey and loved it. Purchased a 2012 about a month ago and are very disapointed with it. Storage is a big issue. 3 grand children and a wife that thinks going anywhere requires most of everything we own, should be taken with us. The Van is still a great machine, but the new better redesign will make me buy elsewhere next time. The new does not come close to the old design. Hope Honda made a lot of money on the new and better Odyssey, it will be the last one I ever buy.

By exhondalover
on 08/31/12 11:16 AM (PDT)

I agree! I'm so sad over it. I wrote a review and someone didn't like my review (I don't care). I honestly have been a die-hard Honda lover since I had my first child in 1998. I don't know why they got rid of all the wonderful storage. I feel that the finishes are so cheap now. There isn't even a change collector. The 2nd glove box was wonderful as well as the in the floor storage compartment. The new design is sleeker in some ways, but they got rid of stuff that real people use. The plastic and carpet is so cheap feeling, even the leather isn't as high of quality. I definitely have buyer's remorse, but my previous Honda experience is what sold me!!!!!!!

By yinzermama
on 08/19/12 12:07 PM (PDT)

Yep, I noticed this. The trunk is very narrow. We traded in a Sienna and I am kicking myself for not taking my bike trailer or stroller to the dealer to check actual dept of the trunk. My husband measured it with his hands and said it was "pretty much the same." Not even close. I have to stand my stroller up, I can lay it flat - used to feel like I could fit the stroller and a bunch of stuff in my trunk, now the stroller seems to eat it up. And it's a single!