Only slightly better than their nearest competitor
By tastycakes55 on
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
This is my 3rd Honda/Acura purchase in the last 6 years, and like my others, this is typical Honda. The Odyssey is only slightly better or manages to bring in more features than others in their class. By this, I mean you are getting a mini-van which has the most space, the best EPA mileage, likely the best re-sale value, and just about every safety and entertainment feature available. The implementation of many of these features, however, are often frustrating/incomplete/difficult to use. But, if you're buying an Odyssey, chances are you know that walking in and as I stated, it's the best option. The Elite has the 6 spd transmission, gets you around town easily, and keeps the kids happy
Favorite Features
The entertainment features on the TE are top notch- from the wireless headset implementation, to the speakers, to the widescreen monitor which allows two video streams simultaneously. Storage is excellent, as is the ease of changing around the seating configuration in 2nd and 3rd rows. Having the ability to move the outboard 2nd row seats laterally enabled us to fit all 3 kids on the second row comfortably, keeping lots of storage available in the rear. The safety features are also outstanding, which is probably the other reason most buy this car. I also appreciate the excellent EPA mileage and bluetooth integration, which is better than in other vehicles I've see.
Suggested Improvements
HDMI input in 3rd row. Impossible to output video from an iPad/Android tablet/PC to the rear entertainment display without a 10 ft HDMI cable. DVD drive is in the front console, yet you can't control or see what is displaying on the RES. Honda must've address nav shortage by pulling units from used 2002 Acuras. Fail. Can't turn off auto-dim for nav. Difficult to see in bright light. UI cluttered and slow. Why is a USB port...in the glove box? Why not mini/micro USB? Or even better, since only iPhones are integrated into the navigation system, why not an iPhone connector? iPhone connectivity is spotty. No AWD. At highway speeds, sounds like you're in a wind tunnel.
By tastycakes55
on 01/09/12 11:51 AM (PST)

Happyvan, First, my arms aren't ten feet long. Once I plug something in to the glove box, I can't get it while I'm driving. By your logic, the AUX port should've been in the glove box, along with the power outlet. It should be somewhere in the center stack or in one of the drawers, centrally accessible, like it is on every other car I've been in with an iPhone/USB port. Second, have you used Siri? When my phone is now plugged in to the USB port, I can't use Siri. Since the Odyssey doesn't have robust integration with iOS, I don't find the USB port to be useful. And trying to navigate the UI for listening to music, it's more distracting than fiddling with my phone or using Siri.

By dustync
on 12/25/11 18:11 PM (PST)

Just be aware of ongoing front brake rotor issues. I had them with my 2007, and now my 2011. I do not think things have changed for the 2012 model. There is only 12,000 mile warranty on the brakes, so you must be in tune with the car to catch the problem before your warranty disappears. On mine, at 11,500 miles, the front end would shimmy or vibrate when braking at highway speeds. The is the first sign of warping brake rotors...Take it to the Dealer right away! And do not let them get away with just turning the rotors. I demanded and got new rotors. This has occurred 5 times in 70,000 miles since this past January! (I'm on the road all day). Now under Lemon Law process (NC). Just Beware!

By harrys1
on 12/28/11 19:48 PM (PST)

Many rotor problems come from over-tightened lug nuts. My 2005 Odyssey with 110,000 miles has the original rotors on all four wheels. I torque the lug nuts myself to assure proper torque when I change the wheels to winter and then back to summer. Most garages use pneumatic tools without torque regulation.

By happyvan
on 01/04/12 11:47 AM (PST)

"Why is a USB port...in the glove box? ... Or even better, since only iPhones are integrated into the navigation system, why not an iPhone connector?" There is nothing wrong with an USB port in the glove box ? where else do you want it to be? In fact this is a pretty good place to connect and charge your iPhone, isn't it? Once you connect your iPhone/iPod/iPad using the USB cable to this port, not only the device can be charged, but you can also view the play lists and play the music via the center console so you no longer need the device in your hand. If you want to connect the iPhone and hold it in your hand, there is a aux port on the dash for that purpose. "iPhone connectivity is spotty." Why is this a problem with the Odyssey? Are you using AT&T? :)