Good except for the engine
By rookie79 on
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
We bought the Odyssey right before Thanksgiving to accomodate a growing family. Everything went well for the first 10 days. It drove well and our daughter loved it. Unfortunately on day 10 of ownership, one of the rocker plates broke and got sucked into the intake and destroyed the engine. So now I don't have a car for the next week or two while it gets a new engine. Less then 700 miles with an engine going bad is a tad ridiculous. Wish I could go back on the decision to buy this and go with the Chrysler which I ironically did not buy due to concerns with reliability and resale. Go figure.
Favorite Features
voice activated everything and ever other bell and whistle it has.
Suggested Improvements
lack of a working engine.
By dustync
on 12/25/11 18:17 PM (PST)

After you get back on the road with the new engine, pay careful attention to your front brakes. Mine have warped about every 12,000 miles. (5 times in 70,000 now) This became so bad that I turned it over to Lemon Law lawyers about three months ago.

By rookie79
on 12/07/11 07:22 AM (PST)

As a follow up, they are taking the entire old engine out and putting in an entire new engine. Will probably be a couple weeks total before I get it back. What I have been able to determine is a rocker plate is a little finger like think that rocks back and forth and to let fuel into the engine. Its basically a little piece of metal the size of a finger. When it broke, it was sucked down through the engine and actually bent a piston. I'm currently working with Honda to figure out what they will do for me. I have serious concerns about a car that they have had to do so such major work to.

By happymomto3
on 11/01/12 14:01 PM (PDT)

It sounds like a complete fluke of bad luck. And Honda is doing everything responsible and replacing the entire engine at their expense. What else would you expect? Honda has a reputation that has been solid for years. I can imagine it is a complete hassle not to have your new car for a couple of weeks, but things happen sometimes. Teach your kids a lesson here how to handle things in stride. Nothing in life is perfect!

By pithpress1
on 12/07/11 00:52 AM (PST)

A "rocker plate"? Whatever could have happened? Every car and every make can have something go wrong. I don't know what a rocker plate is... or how it could have happened -- or what "destroying the engine" means. If you do not get satisfaction, if Honda does not live up to its warranty obligations, if your car is not as "good as new" in a week, you must tell us. If you want to see the "horror stories" behind EVERY SINGLE CAR/VAN made, read the reviews... you will hear how everyone complains. I would love to hear the details about how this happened. My family owns two of these. Peace. I hope all goes well for you.