2012 Honda Odyssey Consumer Review: First Impressions are good, se

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Review

2012 Honda Odyssey

First Impressions are good, second a bit better
By insideinvestor on

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Honda. I compared this with the 2012 Sienna, 2012 Town & Country, and large SUV's. All compared vehicles were on IIHS' 2012 Top Safety list.

Advantages over Sienna:
Sleeker Antenna
Larger Sunroof
Easier to pull 3rd row seats
Front row heater button easier to access
Rear view camera display is larger compared to base XLE
Gas mileage
Variable cylinder management

Disadvantages:
Sienna has more leg room, cargo room, higher HP and torque

Advantages over T&C:
Ride quality seemed better in Odyssey
Quality of materials also seemed better
Gas mileage

Disadvantages:
Nav and rear screen DVD player standard in T&C
T&C has LED lighting
No movable pedal feature

At this trim level it has more than what we wanted or needed. We upgraded mainly for the rear-view camera. Dual-tone leather in driver side armrest, rear-view camera is bright and easy to use, and this is our first car with a sunroof. Their is a lot of tech in this car and that will take some time to figure out. Dash buttons seem intuitive. We love the large cargo area and ability to hold 8 people. We are future proof for quite some time. The power doors and tailgate are awesome. I had some trouble opening the power doors from the driver seat while parked; I chalk that up to inexperience. AC was quite cold at low fan speed, a must in TX. We will enjoy the heated seats in cooler weather.

If the rear-view camera and blind spot monitoring were optional equipment at all trims that would be great. Safety should be paramount but no manufacturer does it. Unfortunately, I think those features are placed in higher trims to force you to upgrade. I do miss the little cubbies and under the floor cargo areas my friend's Odyssey has. The number of interior color options is quite limited. If some of the disadvantages above were addressed that would provide even more value. Given I have had this car for less than a day I will follow up in the comments with more detailed information as time passes. I will be sure to monitor the brake rotors as other posters have mentioned.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By cherubicme
on 08/31/12 11:13 AM (PDT)

I second your opinion...I am loving my Odyssey on the second day...Have been waiting long to own one and I couldnt be more happy with it now...Maybe my opinion will change later!