2012 Honda Odyssey Consumer Review: BEST MINIVAN. But NOT perfect.

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Review

BEST MINIVAN. But NOT perfect...
By conniereddy on

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, we're at 3k mi. and I LOVE our van!! OVERALL, compared to 2012 Sienna: it looks WAY better, is safer, gets better gas mileage, and has MANY more features standard. My husband ENJOYS driving it (as do I). I think it drives beautifully - not at all like my step-father's minivan. Its controls are reachable (love the steering wheel controls), and the electronics are rather intuitive, I think! That said, it has its design flaws and neither van is worth 35k; so, the value factor just isn't there. Nevertheless, it's the best on the market for the money and we bought it and are VERY happy overall :)

*HUGE DISPLAY SCREEN: We LOVE the backup camera. (Sienna's was a JOKE!) *STANDARD BLUETOOTH! It's pure genius, and a safety feature IMHO. (Unacceptable not standard on ALL cars.) *CONVERTIBILITY: I'm short & very pregnant but can *easily* maneuver all its seating configurations (except middle-seat removal of course). And couldn't do that on the Sienna. *SUMMER HEAT BUSTER: I live in NC, but instead of needing to install a remote starter for A/C - you hold down the unlock button & ALL windows & sunroof go down - Genius! *SERIOUSLY QUIET!! Finally, I can actually listen to & enjoy classical music again, even the pianissimmo phrases!! *HONDA'S MAINTENANCE MINDER SYSTEM: Again, genius!

MOST annoying --> least: *Sliding doors don't retract far enough AT ALL. Today I installed baby's rear-facing convertible carseat. I don't know HOW I'll actually get baby in & out, let alone my husband who has wider shoulders. Less of an issue once baby can climb out, but INCREDIBLY stupid design flaw for $35k. It's hard to believe a PARENT designed that one :( *Finger-safety guard on sliding doors is more of an 'ARM' guard. Adult hand with pressure barely triggers doors to stop, let alone a childrens' fingers. *Glove box is RIDICULOUSLY small. (Cool Box is gimmicky; so, we use it for storage which the glove box doesn't provide.) *Side Mirrors don't Power-fold. Disappointing for 35k!