2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Best minivan on market
By jw78732 on 08/26/12 21:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After sold our 2000 Odyssey with 130K mi, wife decided to get another Odyssey right before our summer vacation trip. After our 4000+ mi trip, it seems to be a right decision. The van is very comfortable to ride in and drives like a Honda. Although I wished it could have 50 more horse power, and have sports tires. The fit and finish are very good and we didn't experience any usually wind noise. The gas mileage is unbelievable on highway. With 3 adults and lots of stuff in the back, we get about 26.5 mpg on average and at one point, close to 29 mpg. The transmission shifts smoothly, although the van is kind of sluggish when you try to pass someone on highway due to lack of torque.

6 month review
By njvtec on 08/17/12 13:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We replaced my wife's Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Edition with two VW Touaregs. Although the Touaregs are built on the same chassis they are worlds apart and we were very disappointed by the Touaregs and specifically the support or lack there of from the manufactures and dealers. With two children under the age of two we decided to look at minivans. Having owned and raced a number of Hondas over the years I didn't have to look much further then the Odyssey. We ended up leasing a new 2012 Odyssey (at a great rate thanks to Honda's great residual value). The Odyssey is a brilliant choice for anyone with children. Maybe it's not as "cool" as a luxury SUV but it is way more practical.

New owner preliminary review
By fonguy on 08/05/12 15:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don't fit the minivan demographic as an old retired guy. Trading my 6 year-old Lexus RX for an Oddyssey was not an economic decision but I am now a Honda owner for the first time. It's only been a week, hence the word preliminary. Fit and finish excellent, interior roomy and comfortable, seats relatively easy to manipulate into many configurations. You need a little muscle to get the second row seats out, though, if the room is needed. Adequate power, handling surprisingly sedan-like, reasonably quiet. Many advanced safety features and air bags. This vehicle represents a highly evolved version of the classic minivan. The communications features-radio, CD, Bluetooth, USB, are great!

Touring Elite Owner
By norcalhills on 07/16/12 20:12 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is our first minivan. We traded a 2008 BMW X5 for the van and so far we love it. At the time we bought the van, we also traded a 2006 BMW 550i for a Mercedes E350. We NEVER use the Mercedes, my kids think its boring. They always want to use the van. We have put 8K miles on the van in 6 months. It handles great, rides well, has plenty of horsepower (for a van), and our kids actually like taking road trips, something we could never get them to do before. We got the Touring Elite, and the only problem so far is a warped windshield that Honda agreed to replace. The fit and finish look great. We got Black with the Truffle interior and we get a lot of compliments from others.

Second gen owner - very satisfied so far
By sunnycali on 07/06/12 19:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I replaced a 2002 Odyssey EX-L RES with this 2012 EX-L w/ Nav. So far very pleased with the way the vehicle drives and it is rich in features. Feels solidly built but based on my experience with older one bought 5 year maintenance and 8y/120 mi warranty. Very spacious interior, nice external styling especially when you look at it from the back. Was considering Turing Elite but didn't feel the price difference justified the additional features for my lifestyle. Mileage is around 18.5 city/hw, but it has been less than a week so I will give it time.

Better than my 2008 Odyssey!
By mapperone on 06/22/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to wait till I had at least 2000 miles on my 2012 Odyssey EX-L before writing a review on it. I test-drove the Honda, Toyota, and Nissan minivans. What I traded in was a 2008 Odyssey EX-L. Here are the Pros and Cons of my new one compared to my old one: Pros…… 1) More comfortable seats. The lower cushions tilt more than the other brands, plus a darker fabric (truffles, a darker grey) is available, which won’t show the dirt as much. 2) Cabin is 2” wider, and the extra room is very helpful when carrying adult passengers. 2nd row holds 3 adults very comfortably. 3) Engine is very smooth and all but silent. 4) Like the trip computer, where gas mileage can be computed for each trip. 5) Like the large, easy-to-read, digital display of the TIME on the monitor screen. 6) Like the standard equipment Bluetooth capability. (NOT on my 2008) 7) Like the ability to load in numerous CD’s into hard drive of the sound system. Saves having to insert and eject CD’s countless times. 8) Minimal vibration in the powertrain. 9) Like the standard power liftgate. (NOT on my 2008) 10) Gas mileage averages 20 mpg in the city and at least 27 on trips. 11) Love the speed-compensated volume control on the sound system. I haven’t had this since my 1998 Chevy Venture LS. 12) Lower suspension noise going over rough pavement. (although sharp bumps come through loud and clear. 13) It tracks well on the Interstates with minimal steering corrections. Cons…… 1) Noticeable wind noise heard around the windshield pillar on the driver’s side at highway speeds on windy days, though it’s not intrusive. Dealer hinted that windshield might have to be re-installed, but they didn’t want to do that. 2) Wind whistle heard on top of driver’s side window at speeds as low as 30 mph, but dealer was able to fix it. 3) Grating sounds heard in rear of cabin when going over uneven road surfaces at slow speeds. (could be the sliding doors. My ’08 Ody made the same noise after 3 years) 4) Miss the storage area under floor, in front of the 2nd row seat. (it’s now mostly taken up by the spare tire)

A quite functional car
By cadrm123 on 06/07/12 05:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have about 8,000 miles on this car, and overall like it quite a bit. It has quite a bit of pickup, even with 5-6 passengers in tow. However, there have been a couple of small mechanical/electronic issues. Also, there is no windshield wiper fluid indicator, which has left us high and dry on two occasions. Really, Honda? Haven't we progressed past 1970? A really tacky omission, particularly for those in regions of the country where fluid is used quite a bit.

Redesign not so functional
By gmlkz on 04/05/12 06:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been singing the praises of Honda for years and this is the 3rd that we've owned. Just got the 2012, and although they've added some great new features, I'm rather disappointed with some of the redesign. They took away a bunch of useful storage, which kept me neatly organized w/ my brew of kids & friends. their marketing materials now advertise how great it is to fit a piece of plywood in the back with the seats folded. That's great, but it no longer neatly fits my compact single stroller in the back with the seats up like the old model did. Seems like they forgot that many people purchasing minivans have kids, use storage, and push strollers, more often than hauling wood.

A Very Comfortable Car to Sit in While We Wait for AAA
By bigdaddymoho on 03/28/12 18:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With 6 occasions in 11 monthsafter purchase where the car could not be started, and 5 trips back to the dealer to try to fix the problem, (and a new battery after the first one died just one month after the car was purchased new) this car is headed for lemon law arbitration. I have owned 7 Hondas. This car shows how badly Honda has slipped. It's a shame that it's such a piece of junk, because on the occasions when it decides to run, it's a very comfortable vehicle.

BEST MINIVAN. But NOT perfect...
By conniereddy on 03/22/12 02:19 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, we're at 3k mi. and I LOVE our van!! OVERALL, compared to 2012 Sienna: it looks WAY better, is safer, gets better gas mileage, and has MANY more features standard. My husband ENJOYS driving it (as do I). I think it drives beautifully - not at all like my step-father's minivan. Its controls are reachable (love the steering wheel controls), and the electronics are rather intuitive, I think! That said, it has its design flaws and neither van is worth 35k; so, the value factor just isn't there. Nevertheless, it's the best on the market for the money and we bought it and are VERY happy overall :)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Odyssey in VA is:

$79 per month*