2012 odysseys has its flaws
By antech555 on
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
take a close look at the 2011 -2012 odyssey. Ours has 80 miles on it, 1 week old. Rear brake pads was changed, it was literally deteriorating badly , rear rotors had scores in it. engine light came on and to get reset, poorly aligned rear tail gate, bad gaps in body panel, misaligned, poorly painted front and rear bumpers, take a close look at the two rear bumper reflectors, on either sides of it is not painted, under the bumpers are not painted. Honda bean counters are trying to save money by skimping on paint here folks, what else are they doing to save money on a 35K van, it is inexcusable in my book. Other areas of the van that paint is not applied because most consumer don't pay know
Favorite Features
Bold design, you can fit 6 passenger in it comfortably
Suggested Improvements
Getting rid of the bean counters would be a great start, keeping them in order to save a few hundred dollars per van and affecting build quality is not worth it. Spend more money getting the van painted in the areas that I have mentioned, mirrors, rear spoiler, rocker panels on all models except lx models, paint the entire bumper , not just the areas that you doing now. I hope 2013 models have a better angular front and rear bumpers, current models are pretty un-honda like, too conservative. Put the 6 speed automatic trans in all the models, this is 2011 for heavens sake, you see what I mean by hiring these bean counters. Sieann has standard 6 speed trans and rear camera . Get with it!!!
By mcduv87
on 01/13/12 08:50 AM (PST)

After reading your jumbled review, the question I'm left with is why did you buy an Odyssey if you are so unhappy with all of these issues? It sounds to me as though you did your research after making the purchase. Shouldn't your efforts and research be done before you decide to buy?

By antech555
on 01/18/12 10:00 AM (PST)

I appoligize for my jumbled review in my first posting due to running out of space to write and having to edit my posting. My mistake was not taking a look closer and doing a little more research about the van before purchasing it. Of course, since this is the second year model of release there will be limited consumer complaints and most have not mentioned the problems that I have had. I am only speaking from experience with my own personal van and warning others who are considering buying this same van. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with Honda quality control in Alabama. Everything that I have complained about , Honda has replaced or have fixed due to my due diligence about these flaws. I will tell you this, I will not purchase another Odyssey again. The Honda dealership as well as Honda of America has not given any consideration to my own personal time and gas money for the 6 trips into their dealerships to fix these issues since taking ownership of it 6 weeks now. 6 round trips to the dealership in just 6 weeks of ownership, 2 of the trips I had to leave the van there for 2-3 days that is ridiculous.

By antech555
on 04/03/12 14:20 PM (PDT)

Well, after 1400 miles and 4 months of ownership of the van I could no longer stand this van and sold it back to the Honda dealership at a big loss, since I tried to sell by private party for 3 weeks it at below invoice at the 2011 kbb value. Transmission grinds when you put it into first gear after backing up, I am talking about a complete stop and then putting it into first. Odysseys do this, especially the 5 speed automatics. 7 trips to the dealer to fix numerous flaws, I have had enough. What a joke of a product, Honda needs to step up and have better build quality, I am not surprise they are going back to the drawing board with the 2013 civics. They need to do the same with the odysseys. I have decided to purchase a 2012 sienna, guess what no problems with paint, no problems with the transmission, it has a 6 speed auto standard. No headaches so far so good.