Used 2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

My First Minivan turned me into a Lifer!
By kimbersw

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I would rate this van outstanding. We bought it new and drove it for 38,000 miles. We loved it so much we just traded it for a 2015 Odyssey Touring Elite to keep current. We'll never stray from the odyssey. Our 2012 was the best vehicle we've ever owned- comfortable beyond our expectations, high-quality feel, and rides like a car- the Honda Accord to be specific. If you want performance and luxury in a minivan, this is the way to go. The lower trims are all nice, the Elite just takes it a step above. The top-performing van will always be a part of our family, thanks to our excellent experience with this one. Great job, Honda!

Favorite Features

We loved the extra-large screen of the rear entertainment system in the back. We loved how smoothly the van drove- you'd forget you were in a van until you looked in your rearview to see all of the extra space. The seats were all comfortable, and the third row had a surprisingly spacious third row.

Suggested Improvements

The improvements they made starting with the 2014 were in which included a touchscreen radio, lane Departure Warning, and Forward Collision Warning, as well as the vacuum in the rear. Other than that, I think it is completely adequate for it's model year.

Second Time Owner
By jvp58

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Odyssey my first was 2010 this one 2012. They both seem to have similar problems with the quality of the front end. I have had the 2012 for 2 yrs now and these are my thoughts. Before I go on let me say that I'm very familiar with how a car works mechanically. With 22,000 miles the van is in the shop for the following problems. Noise in left front, worse in the winter, grinding noise from engine,worse a low idle and strong vibration when applying brakes, worse when on highway. Just received call from service manager and here is the list of things that need to be replaced. Stabilizer links and bushings, Power steering pump, Front brakes and rotors and the two front tires.

Favorite Features

I ran out of room on my review, so the brakes and rotors not covered as the tires are not. They are cheap tires. Most of my miles are highway, the brakes and rotors shouldn't have to be replaced. I'm not happy. Let me add that they van does ride well on highway and has plenty of room for my family which ranges from 4 to 6 people at times. Not all bad but for the money you think it would be better quality.

Suggested Improvements

Cut down on road noise and air noise. Be able to control rear A/C from front of car, can only control temp but not fan speed. Use better tires so that they don't wear out so soon and use better quality materials in the front end and brake system. I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and at 43,000 miles I just did a front brake job along with rotors and thats mostly city miles. So next van I get will probably be a Toyota they seem to have better quality parts.

Engine missfiring problem
By mike1419

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First a rocker oil sensor caused the engine to hesitate and misfire July 2013. Then Feb 2014 engine misfiring. Barely made it to dealer. Three spark plugs replaced and software update. July 2014 again misfiring, barely running. Made it to the dealer. Three pistons had rings replaced. This is all covered on warranty from a class action settlement I received in the mail. It appears to me that reliability has gone downhill. The van has 53,000 miles on it.

Too many disppointments!
By samnoe

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I always loved Honda's, but now really disappointed. Engine is not enough (now 2014 still using the same weak engine, the Accord V6 gets 30 additional HP!). I am very upset with the sliding doors, worst design ever! Keeps beeping & stalling, Chrysler makes it better and also the Sienna. Wipers leaves 7 inches un-wiped. Ride is smooth but bad & loud on bumps. (Chevy Traverse is 10x better). At 17,000 miles it started vibrating, I had to change brakes/rotors! Steering wheel feels over-sized. Steering feel not great. Climate controls not intuitive. Remote key fob sucks, and still no remote starter! Turning circle not as tight as Sienna. Ugly gauges. Service engine light not good. Ugly Exterior!

Favorite Features

Nice roomy interior, good ride/handling balance over smooth road surfaces, Big buttons for stereo/phone, easy access to rear seat, built-in Bluetooth & USB (although the USB playback is so backdated! takes 10 minutes to "read" all files, my PC reads it in 2 seconds - and songs are not sorted by track # but rather by name, very stupid).

Suggested Improvements

Improve overall quality, it's so cheap! Ugly interior! Chrysler is so much nicer. Add better stereo/speaker system. Bigger side mirrors. Tighter turning circle. Big easy-to-use climate controls. At 15% remaining oil life the service engine light keep bugging you @ every restart. Take it off, UGH! How annoying! Smaller steering wheel w/ better feel (my 2009 Civic was GREAT!). Add remote starter like GM & Chrysler. Interior lamp switch move back to dash (why on roof??) & make it illuminated. Fix that stupid sliding door design! Yes, sometimes people like to close it in middle of opening! Why beep @ me? Make the ride better & muted over bumps/potholes.

My Honda Odyssey is a Lemon!
By atlantalemon

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this new in 2012 and paid cash for this car. It broke down on the interstate 150 miles from Atlanta with a clogged ERG valve with 30,000 miles on it. The carborator broke apart also and it spent 7 days in the shop. This was in 2013. Now, 4/2014, I drove 1,000 miles after I changed the oil & all the oil is burning up! They are going to re-built the entire engine because it is burning oil at a rate of a 30 year old car! I will Never purchase a Honda again! Do your research because I have after all these problems and many Honda owners have had similar problems. They are lemons and my $40,000 went down the drain! I will Never Buy Honda Again!

Favorite Features

None its a lemon

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy a Honda