Used 2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Give me a brake
By ericlight

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda spent a lot of time redesigning this minivan but skimped on the quality. There should be a class action lawsuit over brake warpage and suspension noise. Honda is charging consumers to routinely fix a design defect. If rotors warp at 12-15k miles regardless of driving style then you have a design flaw. Everyone we know who owns this van has warped rotors. So much of this van is well designed but they didn't car about the most important safety system.

True 8 passenger seating unlike any other van. Good handling. Flexible layout. Good control layout.

Brakes, rough ride after a while, make front seats softer and better for long trips. Awd.

The name Honda is no longer synonymous with quality
By equiuga

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2012 Odyssey EX-L with around 23K on it and it IMMEDIATELY started to shake when braking. I took it to the dealer and they turned the rotors free of charge. 3K miles later it started shaking AGAIN and they wanted me to pay for it for over $300.00. I am now at 47K and getting my first brake job and am told that I need rotors FRONT AND BACK to the tune of $1200.00. FOR A BRAKE JOB! I am calling Honda America b/c I am infuriated. I have owned 4 previous Hondas, a Subaru Outback and a Ford F-150 and have NEVER EVER had issues with my rotors like this, even with the awful Ford! I have also had problems with the suspension, rear hatch, RES, rim peeling, and transmission. AWFUL!

Interior and exterior styling are attractive.

Quality of the mechanics beneath the "skin". You know the saying "beauty is only skin deep," well that applies to the Odyssey.

My First Minivan turned me into a Lifer!
By kimbersw

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I would rate this van outstanding. We bought it new and drove it for 38,000 miles. We loved it so much we just traded it for a 2015 Odyssey Touring Elite to keep current. We'll never stray from the odyssey. Our 2012 was the best vehicle we've ever owned- comfortable beyond our expectations, high-quality feel, and rides like a car- the Honda Accord to be specific. If you want performance and luxury in a minivan, this is the way to go. The lower trims are all nice, the Elite just takes it a step above. The top-performing van will always be a part of our family, thanks to our excellent experience with this one. Great job, Honda!

We loved the extra-large screen of the rear entertainment system in the back. We loved how smoothly the van drove- you'd forget you were in a van until you looked in your rearview to see all of the extra space. The seats were all comfortable, and the third row had a surprisingly spacious third row.

The improvements they made starting with the 2014 were in which included a touchscreen radio, lane Departure Warning, and Forward Collision Warning, as well as the vacuum in the rear. Other than that, I think it is completely adequate for it's model year.

Second Time Owner
By jvp58

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Odyssey my first was 2010 this one 2012. They both seem to have similar problems with the quality of the front end. I have had the 2012 for 2 yrs now and these are my thoughts. Before I go on let me say that I'm very familiar with how a car works mechanically. With 22,000 miles the van is in the shop for the following problems. Noise in left front, worse in the winter, grinding noise from engine,worse a low idle and strong vibration when applying brakes, worse when on highway. Just received call from service manager and here is the list of things that need to be replaced. Stabilizer links and bushings, Power steering pump, Front brakes and rotors and the two front tires.

I ran out of room on my review, so the brakes and rotors not covered as the tires are not. They are cheap tires. Most of my miles are highway, the brakes and rotors shouldn't have to be replaced. I'm not happy. Let me add that they van does ride well on highway and has plenty of room for my family which ranges from 4 to 6 people at times. Not all bad but for the money you think it would be better quality.

Cut down on road noise and air noise. Be able to control rear A/C from front of car, can only control temp but not fan speed. Use better tires so that they don't wear out so soon and use better quality materials in the front end and brake system. I have a 2005 Toyota Prius and at 43,000 miles I just did a front brake job along with rotors and thats mostly city miles. So next van I get will probably be a Toyota they seem to have better quality parts.

Engine missfiring problem
By mike1419

2012 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First a rocker oil sensor caused the engine to hesitate and misfire July 2013. Then Feb 2014 engine misfiring. Barely made it to dealer. Three spark plugs replaced and software update. July 2014 again misfiring, barely running. Made it to the dealer. Three pistons had rings replaced. This is all covered on warranty from a class action settlement I received in the mail. It appears to me that reliability has gone downhill. The van has 53,000 miles on it.