Used 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Mini Hope is her name
By Dave Klein

3+ years & 28,000 miles
By CTJ

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving my 2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L. I have 28,000 miles on it and have made no repairs to it, other than standard maintenance like oil changes, air filters, tire rotation. I've had no problems whatsoever.

I agree with the other reviewer who said the headrests are uncomfortable. I also wish there were more USB ports in the rear, but I believe that was added on the newer models.

Overall, I love this van!

Transmission Replacement at 18K
By jcv77

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I decided that the Odyssey would be the best bet based on our growing family but soon had doubts.
1. After 4K miles the windows started rolling down automatically when the car was parked - at home, in the parking garage at work, in downtown DC. I took it to the dealership twice before they diagnosed a defective key fob and replaced both keys.
2. At 18K miles we started noticing a little hesitation when driving on the highway between 45-55 miles per hour. I took it to the dealership where they told me the transmission needed to be replaced. Now with a new transmission we have 25K miles and I feel a similar hesitation. I think I need to trade the van before the warranty is up.

Love my Ody BUT...
By mommabagby

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really really love my van.
We've owned for 6 months now and taken a couple of roadtrips with our 2 and 5 year old.
It is so comfy and convenient and roomy for just such excursions.
The only thing I am not happy about is our A/C.
It doesn't seem to blow COLD.
It's cool, but not cold. We live in Phoenix, AZ so when it's not blowing ice cubes (which I expect from a vehicle I paid around 40K for and is brand new) and it's 110+ degrees, that makes for a hot, irritable mommy.
It especially doesn't seem to blow cold driving around town or when we stop at a light.
Took it to the dealer, and they said the charge was low and recharged the system but I didn't notice a difference.

all the room!

the A/C system needs an overhaul...only thing I would change.

First Impressions are good, second a bit better
By insideinvestor

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Honda. I compared this with the 2012 Sienna, 2012 Town & Country, and large SUV's. All compared vehicles were on IIHS' 2012 Top Safety list.

Advantages over Sienna:
Sleeker Antenna
Larger Sunroof
Easier to pull 3rd row seats
Front row heater button easier to access
Rear view camera display is larger compared to base XLE
Gas mileage
Variable cylinder management

Disadvantages:
Sienna has more leg room, cargo room, higher HP and torque

Advantages over T&C:
Ride quality seemed better in Odyssey
Quality of materials also seemed better
Gas mileage

Disadvantages:
Nav and rear screen DVD player standard in T&C
T&C has LED lighting
No movable pedal feature

At this trim level it has more than what we wanted or needed. We upgraded mainly for the rear-view camera. Dual-tone leather in driver side armrest, rear-view camera is bright and easy to use, and this is our first car with a sunroof. Their is a lot of tech in this car and that will take some time to figure out. Dash buttons seem intuitive. We love the large cargo area and ability to hold 8 people. We are future proof for quite some time. The power doors and tailgate are awesome. I had some trouble opening the power doors from the driver seat while parked; I chalk that up to inexperience. AC was quite cold at low fan speed, a must in TX. We will enjoy the heated seats in cooler weather.

If the rear-view camera and blind spot monitoring were optional equipment at all trims that would be great. Safety should be paramount but no manufacturer does it. Unfortunately, I think those features are placed in higher trims to force you to upgrade. I do miss the little cubbies and under the floor cargo areas my friend's Odyssey has. The number of interior color options is quite limited. If some of the disadvantages above were addressed that would provide even more value. Given I have had this car for less than a day I will follow up in the comments with more detailed information as time passes. I will be sure to monitor the brake rotors as other posters have mentioned.