2012 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Transmission Replacement at 18K
By jcv77 on 04/29/13 18:04 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I decided that the Odyssey would be the best bet based on our growing family but soon had doubts. 1. After 4K miles the windows started rolling down automatically when the car was parked - at home, in the parking garage at work, in downtown DC. I took it to the dealership twice before they diagnosed a defective key fob and replaced both keys. 2. At 18K miles we started noticing a little hesitation when driving on the highway between 45-55 miles per hour. I took it to the dealership where they told me the transmission needed to be replaced. Now with a new transmission we have 25K miles and I feel a similar hesitation. I think I need to trade the van before the warranty is up.

Love my Ody BUT...
By mommabagby on 08/31/12 10:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really really love my van. We've owned for 6 months now and taken a couple of roadtrips with our 2 and 5 year old. It is so comfy and convenient and roomy for just such excursions. The only thing I am not happy about is our A/C. It doesn't seem to blow COLD. It's cool, but not cold. We live in Phoenix, AZ so when it's not blowing ice cubes (which I expect from a vehicle I paid around 40K for and is brand new) and it's 110+ degrees, that makes for a hot, irritable mommy. It especially doesn't seem to blow cold driving around town or when we stop at a light. Took it to the dealer, and they said the charge was low and recharged the system but I didn't notice a difference.

First Impressions are good, second a bit better
By insideinvestor on 08/30/12 11:04 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Honda. I compared this with the 2012 Sienna, 2012 Town & Country, and large SUV's. All compared vehicles were on IIHS' 2012 Top Safety list. Advantages over Sienna: Sleeker Antenna Larger Sunroof Easier to pull 3rd row seats Front row heater button easier to access Rear view camera display is larger compared to base XLE Gas mileage Variable cylinder management Disadvantages: Sienna has more leg room, cargo room, higher HP and torque Advantages over T&C: Ride quality seemed better in Odyssey Quality of materials also seemed better Gas mileage Disadvantages: Nav and rear screen DVD player standard in T&C T&C has LED lighting No movable pedal feature

6 month review
By njvtec on 08/17/12 13:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We replaced my wife's Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Edition with two VW Touaregs. Although the Touaregs are built on the same chassis they are worlds apart and we were very disappointed by the Touaregs and specifically the support or lack there of from the manufactures and dealers. With two children under the age of two we decided to look at minivans. Having owned and raced a number of Hondas over the years I didn't have to look much further then the Odyssey. We ended up leasing a new 2012 Odyssey (at a great rate thanks to Honda's great residual value). The Odyssey is a brilliant choice for anyone with children. Maybe it's not as "cool" as a luxury SUV but it is way more practical.

New owner preliminary review
By fonguy on 08/05/12 15:09 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don't fit the minivan demographic as an old retired guy. Trading my 6 year-old Lexus RX for an Oddyssey was not an economic decision but I am now a Honda owner for the first time. It's only been a week, hence the word preliminary. Fit and finish excellent, interior roomy and comfortable, seats relatively easy to manipulate into many configurations. You need a little muscle to get the second row seats out, though, if the room is needed. Adequate power, handling surprisingly sedan-like, reasonably quiet. Many advanced safety features and air bags. This vehicle represents a highly evolved version of the classic minivan. The communications features-radio, CD, Bluetooth, USB, are great!

Better than my 2008 Odyssey!
By mapperone on 06/22/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to wait till I had at least 2000 miles on my 2012 Odyssey EX-L before writing a review on it. I test-drove the Honda, Toyota, and Nissan minivans. What I traded in was a 2008 Odyssey EX-L. Here are the Pros and Cons of my new one compared to my old one: Pros…… 1) More comfortable seats. The lower cushions tilt more than the other brands, plus a darker fabric (truffles, a darker grey) is available, which won’t show the dirt as much. 2) Cabin is 2” wider, and the extra room is very helpful when carrying adult passengers. 2nd row holds 3 adults very comfortably. 3) Engine is very smooth and all but silent. 4) Like the trip computer, where gas mileage can be computed for each trip. 5) Like the large, easy-to-read, digital display of the TIME on the monitor screen. 6) Like the standard equipment Bluetooth capability. (NOT on my 2008) 7) Like the ability to load in numerous CD’s into hard drive of the sound system. Saves having to insert and eject CD’s countless times. 8) Minimal vibration in the powertrain. 9) Like the standard power liftgate. (NOT on my 2008) 10) Gas mileage averages 20 mpg in the city and at least 27 on trips. 11) Love the speed-compensated volume control on the sound system. I haven’t had this since my 1998 Chevy Venture LS. 12) Lower suspension noise going over rough pavement. (although sharp bumps come through loud and clear. 13) It tracks well on the Interstates with minimal steering corrections. Cons…… 1) Noticeable wind noise heard around the windshield pillar on the driver’s side at highway speeds on windy days, though it’s not intrusive. Dealer hinted that windshield might have to be re-installed, but they didn’t want to do that. 2) Wind whistle heard on top of driver’s side window at speeds as low as 30 mph, but dealer was able to fix it. 3) Grating sounds heard in rear of cabin when going over uneven road surfaces at slow speeds. (could be the sliding doors. My ’08 Ody made the same noise after 3 years) 4) Miss the storage area under floor, in front of the 2nd row seat. (it’s now mostly taken up by the spare tire)

A quite functional car
By cadrm123 on 06/07/12 05:59 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have about 8,000 miles on this car, and overall like it quite a bit. It has quite a bit of pickup, even with 5-6 passengers in tow. However, there have been a couple of small mechanical/electronic issues. Also, there is no windshield wiper fluid indicator, which has left us high and dry on two occasions. Really, Honda? Haven't we progressed past 1970? A really tacky omission, particularly for those in regions of the country where fluid is used quite a bit.

BEST MINIVAN. But NOT perfect...
By conniereddy on 03/22/12 02:19 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

So, we're at 3k mi. and I LOVE our van!! OVERALL, compared to 2012 Sienna: it looks WAY better, is safer, gets better gas mileage, and has MANY more features standard. My husband ENJOYS driving it (as do I). I think it drives beautifully - not at all like my step-father's minivan. Its controls are reachable (love the steering wheel controls), and the electronics are rather intuitive, I think! That said, it has its design flaws and neither van is worth 35k; so, the value factor just isn't there. Nevertheless, it's the best on the market for the money and we bought it and are VERY happy overall :)

Great comfort and feature sets for a family on the go
By happyvan on 01/10/12 09:01 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a review after owning the car for 3 wk and 900 miles of driving. The V6 is extremely smooth—when it idles, there is no sound or any sense of vibration, and when pushed, it gives off a nice sporty exhaust note. The engine could use a bit more low end torque but has enough power for passing with a full load. The seating are very comfortable, even after a 300 mile trip. The versatile interior is wonderful to accommodating the need of a family on the go — we have two toddlers in car seats. The fit and finish is very good if you are not too picky. But taking a close look, it is hard to ignore the use of cheap materials in some areas to save cost. I have no QC problems at the moment

2012 odysseys has its flaws
By antech555 on 01/07/12 13:45 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

take a close look at the 2011 -2012 odyssey. Ours has 80 miles on it, 1 week old. Rear brake pads was changed, it was literally deteriorating badly , rear rotors had scores in it. engine light came on and to get reset, poorly aligned rear tail gate, bad gaps in body panel, misaligned, poorly painted front and rear bumpers, take a close look at the two rear bumper reflectors, on either sides of it is not painted, under the bumpers are not painted. Honda bean counters are trying to save money by skimping on paint here folks, what else are they doing to save money on a 35K van, it is inexcusable in my book. Other areas of the van that paint is not applied because most consumer don't pay know

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Odyssey in NJ is:

$202 per month*