Underwhelmed
By abf13 on
2011 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I test drove a tan LX that I loved and was fun to drive. I purchased a different one for a better price and it does not seem at all like the one I tested (yes, they were both LX's) Mine has 4K miles on it and the SVT traction sensor has gone bad. The cheap plastic used in construction scratches/dents easily and leaves white gouges. I can move the dashboard with my hand. The city gas mpg is more around the 12-13 mark than the 19 stated by the EPA. I have found the controls awkward. The van is very bumpy, the ECO light constantly goes on and off and I can feel the shifting when this happens, and it does not have very much power. Overall, wish I had purchased the Sienna
Favorite Features
Hm. The design is very nice, I love the look of the van. I wish they hadn't sacrificed functionality for design as the van is so low is scrapes all the time, my husband and I hit our heads on the door jamb constantly and watch out for the rear hatch! Same thing. We had a wagon and never had that problem. I do like the Oil Life gauge, the numerous compartments up front to put items/purses/etc. The trunk has great side cubbies for diapers and toys, but putting the stroller in and out has chipped the cheap plastic, never had this problem with our wagon either. It does stear well and has a good turning radius, but is very creaky.
Suggested Improvements
Not sure where to start, I feel this van missed the mark on so many levels and wished I had purchased the used 2010 Sienna we had been looking at. When the loan is over we'll be trading it in for a Sienna..I think we'll get more for our money. This van has NO special features, for the price, I'd expect more..if you are shopping in this price range go with a Dodge or Chrysler. My husband's Ford Focus is built better then this van is.
By pithpress1
on 09/21/11 01:39 AM (PDT)

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the new Odyssey's design is absolutely beautiful. I too, was enthralled by it enough to change our 2001 Odyssey AND our 2010 Odyssey in for two of the 2011 model cars. I don't have to defend Honda Odyssey's reputation; however, I want to make a few comments: The ECO feature will go on and off the entire time you are driving because the engine fuel consumption depends on the driver's demands upon the engine. The engine is turning on and off valves to save fuel. If you avoid sudden acceleration, your engine will perform at better (meaning less) fuel consumption levels. The "Variable Cylinder Management" (ECO mode) does not affect the motion of the car in any way or something is seriously defective and YOUR CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY (an important point when you mention that you "can move the dashboard with your hand"). I am a 6'5" man at 280 lbs. I have yet to hit my head or find entering or exiting the vehicle troublesome. Nor have I ever hit my head on the rear door. Can you share pictures on www.odyclub.com of the "cheap plastic" that has "chipped" -- I have to see it. I own two 2011 Odysseys and am shocked at this. Where and how could you chip the plastics? I can't imagine what you would have to do to inflict such damage! I am surprised by the comments and the comparison to the competition. Yet you need to make sure that whatever defect in workmanship you discover in your car is taken care of by your dealer. You paid a premium for that car; demand that (under warranty) it show the quality for which the manufacturer is renowned.