electrical problems with 2011 odyssey
By tcmichigan on
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased the 2011 odyssey over the new sienna because of the ability to put 3 car seats across the middle seat. I have owned the car for 2 months have havd 600 miles on it. The low battery light has repeatedly come on. I have brought it to the dealer and Honda states this is normal and caused by taking multiple short trips, which, in my opinion, is normal minivan operation in a suburban environment. This is a common problem as reported on the internet (on edmunds forums and elsewhere) with many people reporting repeated visits to the dealership with no remedy from honda. Retrospectively, I should have purchased the Sienna. The car does have multiple nice interior features.
Favorite Features
USB interface for IPOD with vehicle sound system.
Suggested Improvements
fix electrical problems. stronger battery to handle demands of multiple electrical drawing features.
By ourhouse
on 03/24/11 15:54 PM (PDT)

I sometimes wonder how many of these posts are from Sales people from the competition?......This person gives this type of rating to a vehicle that they claim they own....and drove BEFORE the purchase and yet rate the handling, comfort, performance, etc....so low and yet they still purchased it? Go figure.

By ourhouse
on 03/24/11 15:49 PM (PDT)

Excuse me, but the dealer is correct. Pretty much every car out there with all the features you have will lose battery power if not run long enough. This is completely normal. It is also normal to have a dead battery if you let the vehicle set for any length of time (like 4 or 5 days) without running it. I've had this happen multiple times with other vehicles. BTW....the same thing would happen to the Sienna. The difference would be that you have a vehicle not as nice as the Odyssey. Why not use the vehicle a little more? Longer trips. You do realize you are only putting 3600 miles a year on the van?????? That, again is no where near the 12,000 - 15,000+ miles a year that a normal person drives. The problem is not the van, the problem is you don't need drive enough.

By tcmichigan
on 03/27/11 19:16 PM (PDT)

I do own this vehicle and am not a salesperson. Although I will ultimately take long trips with this vehicle (and am sure it will do fine), I feel that my driving is within normal expectations for a minivan. I drove the car twice after a full battery charge, with minimal use of accessories, and the light came on. There are no complaints of this online with the Sienna, and multiple complaints for the odyssey. I would rather not have a vehicle where there's essentially always a warning light going off.

By ourhouse
on 03/30/11 23:35 PM (PDT)

hey TC.....not here to bash ya....but you have to admit 3600 miles a year is NOT normal. Granted, Honda has to fix that little sensor so it doesn't go off and upset ya....but your taking one little thing a bit toooo far. Maybe you and a few others.......(remember, there are 10's of thousands of new Odysseys out there now) and only a few having this problem when you look at the numbers. Also, things could be much worse if you lived in Japan! So count your blessings! btw.....300 posts and how many are repeats>? As for the views, are you going to count me as being disgruntled also since I read the posts? I've owned Honda since probably before you were born.......simply the best company out there!

By 2011canodyssey
on 05/03/11 19:55 PM (PDT)

May I also add my electrical problems with the my 2011 Honda Odyssey. I am not a Toyota sales person. I'm just an ordinary automobile consumer. This is my third Honda Odyssey and none of the previous two dispalyed any of these probelms. My driving habits have not changed in the past 9 years. I drive an average of 25,000 km per year. I drive in the city but I frequently drive on trips over 150kms. I too have the "Low battery, see manual" display come on. This has been ongoing since I purchased it in January 2011. But I have other electrical probelm manifestations as well. My "TPMS" warning light also comes on; various of the "door open" warning lights come on, especially the rear door; and my power door locks will lock by themselves when I exit the vehicle. I have had the unit back a number of times to re-set the low battery life and for the other problems but they keep occuring. To say that it's normal for the "low battery warning light" to come on or for the battery to die is a bunch of "houey". I've been driving for over 50 years and the only time the battery goes dead is if a light is left on, a door is left open, there is a short in the electrical system, or the battery is old and will not take a charge coupled with a malfunctioning generator/alternator or regulator. In my case when I take it to the shop, the alternator and battery check out as OK! If others find that their battery is in fact dead, then something is drawing the charge out of the battery. Today I received a recall from letter from Honda Canada informing me of a recall for two problems: 1. "In adverse weather conditions front wiper blades may become frozen to the winshield and the wiper rods may bend the blades or separate from the motor from the motor due to insuffcinet stiffness of the rod causing inoperative wipers and dcreasing the driver's visibilty." I don't think this is an electrical problem, but the second recall problem is: 2. "Several software issues have been discovered in the audio unit that affects the clock, radio, the RES and the HandsFreeLink. Looks like I may have more electrical problems to look forward to! Should of bought a Ford!

By usear
on 05/09/11 17:15 PM (PDT)

I have to add, I have test driven two Odysseys's and just put a deposit for one. I hope I don't see this problem, however both the cars I test drove showed the low battery message. Regardless of how much mileage you do; it is not acceptable. I do understand frequent short trips is going to cause low battery in any car but; reading the comment it seems it is happening in normal use as well.