A Pleasant Surprise
By mpyles1 on
2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
Needing a vehicle that carried more than 5 adults comfortably, I started my search focused on third-row comfort, as differences in comfort for first- and second-row passengers in current minivans are minimal. An owner of German cars, I first looked at the new M-B R class but found it's third row lacking (and I have not found M-B reliability to be the best). A fan of good car design, I next looked at the Ford Flex. It was a real possibility. But then I test drove a Honda Odyssey and found myself sitting in the most comfortable interior -- in any position -- of any vehicle I have ever encountered.
Favorite Features
Here's a shock. I am a performance nut and own a 2010 Audi R8 V10. But more and more often, when I am driving alone or carrying just one passenger, I grab the Honda keys. Why? Well, the thing is just so darn all-around pleasant. It drives astonishingly well for a vehicle of its size. It's reasonably peppy and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. And, whether it's just me or a passel of friends, everyone is comfortable from stem to stern. The biggest surprise: the sound system. It's perhaps the best of any car I've owned, including several high-end German cars and a Lexus. (I have the Touring Elite with the 12-speaker systems.)
Suggested Improvements
The dashboard functionality is fine, but it could look at bit more classy (especially in the top-end models). And there is a highly annoying chirp at highway speed that one should never encounter in a Honda. I'm going to have the dealer look into it at the first oil change, we be all know how devilishly hard those creaks can be to locate. In a vehicle that does so many things sometimes conflicting things so surprisingly well, a loud chronic squeak is VERY frustrating.
By mpyles1
on 08/31/11 11:11 AM (PDT)

Sorry for all the typos in the last paragraph. I must have been distracted . . . but you get the point, I trust.