Used 2011 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Delivers on the Hype - Buy It!
By thegreatdane

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the E-XL on Memorial day and this review is based off 3000 miles, and one 700 mile trip to Ontario, including 2 adults, 2 children, and a Great Dane. I am a tough critic and feel that this car delivers on most of its promises. Driving 13 hours straight revealed some pros/cons. On the pro side, it was great to see MPG at 27.6 for our trip. In town, our mileage is closer to 18 mpg. Handling was precise at any speed, even with torrential rain. Cargo was amazing - Imagine a full grown Great Dane standing up, along with a weeks supply of clothes, food, and fishing gear. Plenty of room to spare. On the con side, visibility was good, not great. Console has too many bells & whistles.

Favorite Features

Remote doors and lift gate. Removable 2nd row seats. Hands free phone link.

Suggested Improvements

Blindspot visibility. For most trips seat comfort is fine, for long hauls I felt it could be improved.

Smooth ride. Comfortable interior.
By mauimomof3

2011 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We spent so much time hemming and hawing over which van to buy. Sienna vs. Odyssey. I did NOT like the exterior styling of the 2011 Odyssey. But it's grown on me a little. To me, the Sienna has and still has nicer exterior styling. After test driving it and sitting in all 3 rows, I had to go with the Odyssey. Odyssey is smoother shifting, handles better and is more comfortable inside. The plastics and cloth seems to be higher quality than the Sienna, also. This car is fun to drive. Really drives like a car. I had a mid-sized SUV (2WD) before this and Odyssey blows it away not only in power but handling!

Favorite Features

"Wide" mode in 2nd row. Handling. Power.

Suggested Improvements

Roof racks should be a standard feature.

SIDE DOORS
By catalina60

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2011 EX-L has a peculiar safety issue: Both my wife and I have driven off with one of the side doors open. Other than a small red door adjar symbol in the instrument panel, there is no other notable warning to the driver. It seems there should be a high-pitch audible warning or even the inablility to shift into Drive since the danger is so great if a side door is not fully closed, esp. if there are children or other passengers in the middle seats.

Favorite Features

Better than expected MPG, smooth ride, good instrument placement and overall build quality. Open all windows with unlock button depressed on key fob.

Suggested Improvements

Noted above regarding open side doors while driving. Maybe have an all window close with the lock button depressed on the fey fob. Brighter reverse exterior lighting to illuminate camera area and curb alignment. An interior rear overhead light to illuminate rear storage area when rear lid is opened.

Electronics are poor
By all4wheels

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the 2011 with navigation system for about 2 months now. The good is that it sits a little bit lower to the ground and has good headroom. I am over 6 feet tall and the headroom and legroom are fine. It drives nicely. Compared to my prior 2001 Odyssey I would say that the ride of this van is "softer" and it is less responsive than my other van. The front hood slopes down and I am unable to see the front of the Van. This takes some time getting used to, especially parking in tight areas. Now for the AWFUL: The Navigation system is TERRIBLE. The bluetooth for the telephone drops every few miles. They are both useless.

Favorite Features

Ride is smooth. Headroom and legroom are good. Space is good in general.

Suggested Improvements

The Navigation system finds businesses according to where they file their taxes (per dealership-- no Joke). My Iphone does a better job that this system. I purchased a portable Garmin also. If they don't fix this software problem (they don't think they have a problem- The dealership told me to call a business that I want to drive to and ask for their address - yes, it is that bad) there is absolutely no reason to buy this. I think it was a phenomenal waste for me. The bluetooth is a joke for the phone. My friend (similar van without Navigation) has the same complaint.

"MY ODY" Loving It!!!
By trron9

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

21 days ago I purchased a 2011 Ody EX-L, trading in a 2008 Ford Expedition EL that was getting 12 mpg. I did alot of research before making my purchase, I compared the Sienna, the Quest and the T & C. I decided on the Ody because of it's interior room, 3rd row is spacious. I like the look of the new Sienna better, but by far the Ody is the better van. The T & C has a nicer dash, as the Ody takes some getting use to. This is a fun vehicle to drive in 3 weeks I've racked up 2,200 miles, my wife and I took a trip to Branson, heavy rain all the way from KC, the Ody held the road well. Fit & finish a 9, the left rear panel sticks out. 26 mpg hwy 19.6 city combined. adding 20" rims, a guy thing!

Favorite Features

The Ody is quite spacious, to adults sit comfortably in the front seats without touching shoulders, generous 2nd and 3rd row seating aswell. The radio controls are thoughtfully placed for easy use. The cool box helps keep drinks cold, which is a nice feature. From the key fob if you push the unlock button twice holding the unlock button a few more seconds all the windows and sunrooof open. The 15 cup holders is a plus. The back up camera is a useful tool and I love the radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

The Bluetooth need improving, I've had issues with 2 seperate handsets switching back and forth between Bluetooth and Handset Mode during phone calls, it's very frustrating!!! Also I'd improve the layout of the climate control, it's a bit awkward to use. If your thinking about installing a remote start, first know it's expensive from the dealer and it only comes with 1 key fob a 2nd FOB I was told would cost me another $159.00 programmed, also when using the remote start you must turn the vehicle off from the remote before you can unlock the doors. I purchased the back up sensors in addition to the back up camera, the camera works well, the sensors are a waste of money, there a joke!!!