Used 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Amazing Van
By mrwhy300

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have replaced my wife's BMW 325i with the 2011 Odyssey EX-L for a few weeks but so far we are loving it. Touring is nice but EX-L seems to offer the most for the buck. The interior quality is fine (not as great as Quest but far better than Sienna). The exterior is quite subjective. We got some compliments in the parking lot, mostly from younger couples. My folks think the styling is too aggressive. I think the lighting bolt design is just fine.

I wasn't so sure about our decision prior to the delivery (Quest is our second choice as its interior is so refined...) . However, once I received the Odyssey and have the time to look at the details and drive it often, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of many little things (homelink, bluetooth phone system, nice big backup monitor on the dash, built-in hard drive for music). The wide mode 2nd row feature is useful. We have two full-size children car seat installed, and wife can sit comfortably in the middle, taking care of the 2year old and the two month old during the trips.

Handling, steering is not as "precise" as a performance car but it is definitely one of the best out of all vans out there I would say. Some people would say that is not important for a van but driving a van does not mean you need to give up the fun of driving. I saw reviews saying the handling of previous Odyssey is better than this latest one. I could not comment on that as I haven't tried the older versions. However, I can say it is definitely better than the latest Sienna, which was our first choice before Odyssey and Quest came out.

Odyssey is so good I got rid of my Porsche Cayenne
By danielk1974

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great van. I traded in my Porsche Cayenne S for this. We do a lot of weekend road trips and needed something a little more comfortable for the kids. I thought I'd miss the Porsche, but it hasn't been all that bad. In my opinion, that is a pretty strong statement. Handles well, rides very smoothly, and even accelerates better than expected. The interior is spacious, comfortable, and quite nice. Much nicer than any of the competitors minivans. Those all seemed cheap and harsh. We drive at 83-84 mph on the interstate and get 22 mpg.

We use it for long road trips and I love to fold down the 3rd row seats and take a nap on the floor. Plenty long enough to spread out, relax, and sleep. We skipped on the rear entertainment system. Instead we got the two kids an iPad each and they can watch movies and play games and surf the internet. Two iPads = $1000 total. Rear entertainment was easily double that.

Maybe make the exterior a little less jagged and disconnected looking. The rear lightning bolt is just not good looking. That is my only complaint.

So far, so good.
By ody12

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 06 Volvo XC90, which was begining to exhibit some issues after it hit 100k miles (i.e. air conditioning going out TWICE), as well as having extremely expensive repair costs. While I am not completely in love with the current body style for the Odyssey, it is a very functional, well designed van. I am enjoying driving it. It's smooth and responsive in city traffic and feels as heavy as my Volvo. I am also finding it to be way more functional in terms of its interior layout for a family. The seats are as comfy as those in my Volvo. Fingers crossed that this vehicle will have far more long term durability than the Volvo.

Power liftgate and side doors, ability to lower windows on side doors; leather interior

Retractable side mirrors, turn signals on mirrors for all trim levels (not just touring); less plastic trim and more wood grain.

30 days later
By v2004

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I now have my Odyssey for the full 30 days and I must tell you that I love it more every day. The exterior styling which at first looked a little odd finally started taking shape in my mind. I can now appreciate the styling much more especially after I added roof rails/racks and door moldings (a must). I also realized that Sienna's exterior style which at first looked better, looks too plain and too Japanese compared to the Odyssey.

Honda must bring back roof rails and door moldings as standard equipment on at least EX-L and higher models.

Minivan for life
By v2004

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After we had a third baby I started looking for something that would fit the entire family without hassle and would be pleasant to drive. I looked at the Sienna and the Odyssey. While Sienna wins in the exterior styling and available AWD option, nothing else comes even close to the craftsmanship, comfort and quality of the Odyssey. The material (especially hard plastic) used in Sienna are just terrible, even the top of the line model feels cheap. The Odyssey on the other hand is very well made. It feels and looks expensive. The ride quality and especially cornering is much better than Sienna. While Odyssey feels planted without much of a body roll, Sienna feels like a boat on wheels.

My favorite feature is a back up camera with the huge 8" screen. Honda did an extremely great job on the light distribution. The non xenon headlights are so good in illuminating the road that most of the time I want to believe that I actually do have xenons. I find myself driving this minivan more than I do my Audi. This minivan rocks!!!

I wish Honda would offer an AWD option. Six speed transmission should be standard on all trims. Roof rails and body moldings should be a standard equipment on at least EX-L and upper models. LED tail lights would be a plus