Used 2011 Honda Odyssey EX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

2011 Honda Odyssey Ex Falling apart
By dustync

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Now over 181,000 miles on the car, I think I'm qualified to call the Odyssey a piece of Junk! The ticking sound a lot of people hear when turning the car; those are no doubt, defective CV shaft and joints. You just won't find out until you put more miles on the car. I took the car in at 5,000 miles because of the ticking; the dealer "lubricated" the front strut mounts? Between 12,000 and 93,000 miles, I had six (6) front brake jobs, including 3 rotor replacements. Turns out that quite possibly, the Dealer mechanics were not re-installing the rotors to proper specs, and they would warp in no time! Ever since taking it to my independent shop; Zero problems (brakes). Many other Defects!

Favorite Features

Fairly Quiet and very, smooth ride. Front seats very Uncomfortable for any distance driving. No room to move legs, like being wrapped in a freakin' cocoon.

Suggested Improvements

Quit making this model and start from scratch!

Waste of 40Gs
By 2goldens_1

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Too many problems that Honda cannot fix. Tried 6 times still can't fix them, so they have now determined 'normal'. It is normal for the AC to turn on by itself. It is normal for it to start vibrating as if going over rumble strips. It is normal for the front end to make grinding noises. It is normal for 'Low Battery' message to come on all the time. By the way, when vibration gets very bad, I've lost throttle response - cannot accelerate. Has happened three times. Only 6000 kms on vehicle. Wish I bought Toyota Sienna or Dodge would have been better. This is my third and last new Honda vehicle. Customer service has been pathetic. Don't buy this lemon on wheels!

Favorite Features

8 Seats

Suggested Improvements

Train staff on how to troubleshoot highly technical vehicle

Not happy; Should have stayed with Sienna.
By reyam

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in Feb. 2011. It now has 12500 miles combined city and highway. This Honda shifts erratically and down shifts with a jerk. The transmission seems to be searching for the correct gear way too much. It has poor low end torque from a stop light and will occasionally not react when I step on the gas; scary when proceeding through a 4 way stop. I took it to the dealer 2 times but upon their road test said it was acting normally. Very noisy on interstate roads but quiet in town. I owned 2 Toyota Sienna's before; one had 157,000 miles and the other had 218,000 miles. No problems with either one. I went with Honda this time because Toyota was going through some quality control problems.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating and lots of room inside. I am a delivery person and carry various sized packages with in a 500 mile radius and like the cargo space. Good visibility and quiet in town. Feels like a safe vehicle. I like putting several music cd's in memory and not having to carry them around.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problem; i.e. low end torque, erratic shifting and intermittent no response when stepping on the gas. My old Sienna with over 200 k miles had lots of pick-up from a stop light. My daughter's 4 cylinder car has more pick-up than this Odyssey.

Smooth ride. Comfortable interior.
By mauimomof3

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We spent so much time hemming and hawing over which van to buy. Sienna vs. Odyssey. I did NOT like the exterior styling of the 2011 Odyssey. But it's grown on me a little. To me, the Sienna has and still has nicer exterior styling. After test driving it and sitting in all 3 rows, I had to go with the Odyssey. Odyssey is smoother shifting, handles better and is more comfortable inside. The plastics and cloth seems to be higher quality than the Sienna, also. This car is fun to drive. Really drives like a car. I had a mid-sized SUV (2WD) before this and Odyssey blows it away not only in power but handling!

Favorite Features

"Wide" mode in 2nd row. Handling. Power.

Suggested Improvements

Roof racks should be a standard feature.

2011 Odyssey Still Has Front Brake Rotor Issues
By dustync

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a Love - Hate Relationship... Love the Fuel Economy (31.9 mpg at 64 mph Hwy). Hate that Honda actually advertised the fact that they "re-engineered" the Front Brake Rotors, yet at 11,850 miles, the Dealer (Honda Autopark in Cary,NC) replaced them due to "WARPING". The very same issue I had with my 2007 Odyssey! The front windshield had excessive distortion along a 5-6" band of the sides, so this was also replaced. Several of the bolt together body parts, fenders,etc. do not line up well at all (assembly issues), but have not addressed that yet. If you start having any vibration coming from the front-end of your Odyssey, have the brake rotors checked before 12,000 mile warranty.

Favorite Features

The exterior design changes are long overdue, and appreciated. The ride is much better as well. The front seats are still, waaaay too small for a bigger (6', 250lb) guy like me. The Fuel mileage is unbelievable! If I set the cruise at 64 mph and drive from Raleigh to Wilson, NC., I get 31.9 mpg! Get a few Honks and Headlight Flashes from the aggressive drivers as well....but too bad, gas prices are crazy! The sound system with the hard-drive is great, but only able to record 18 CD's ??? Seriously? Now have 19,500 miles in 3-1/2 months (on the road everyday), the OEM tires are going fast, way too fast.

Suggested Improvements

Lower riding height of vehicle somehow, hard for most people to get in and out of rear seating from ground level (especially older folks). Better OEM Tires, Bigger Front Seats... and Really, this time, Really Re-Engineer the Front Brake Rotors!