Used 2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Last honda
By Ian

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Hondas are over rated for some reason. I haven't faced any major issues with this minivan but it has a lot of minor issues. I bought it new in 2010 and keep all maintenance current.

Cons:
1) Battery management system acted up within a few months of purchase. Honda updated the software and supposedly fixed the issue of constant system warning, but I think they just turned the system completely off.
2) Jerky transmission, just like the previous civic I owned. How can they keep rolling these out of factory with this issue and then issue crappy TSBs and expect me to pay for this non-sense?
3) Climate control has it's own mind. Full automated mode works well. AC is not obedient when used in manual mode.
4) Steering noise every 6 months and needs to be greased.
5) Battery drained completely when I left the key in ACC mode by mistake. I owned a 2011 Maxima and that was smart to shut off after 30 mins when engine not running to prevent battery drain. Why such a small battery and not put the biggest battery on this monster van? It has tons of power equipment which drain a lot.
6 ) Worst brakes I have ever experienced. Rotors warped quickly. Upgraded stoptech/brembo rotors worked much better.
7) Worst navigation system that has no touch screen and voice control is just primitive.

Pros:
1) Hauls a lot of people and stuff.
2) Decent highway gas mileage.
3) Good highway ride (when tranny not shifting).
4) Seats are comfortable for long rides.

Overpriced and overrated just because of it's brand I think. Lot of room for improvements. Honda is far behind in innovation and refinement. Their advanced features are far behind competition and designed poorly. I feel sorry to have dished out 40k on this and having to deal with all the crap from American Honda and their Stealerships. Hope this van runs for 6 more years without major issues as I got to live with the minor ones.

Other than the head restraint...
By ER

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first and only minivan. I went into the dealership to purchase a Honda Pilot based on liking my friend's so much. Well, the new model rode so rough I changed my mind. Well, the salesman slid me right into an Odyssey...I loved everything about it! I was shocked how much I immediately liked it! I drove it for quite some time that day. It even got two thumbs up from my son who easily gets car sickness in the third row. The room, the comfort (except for the ill angled head rests), the power doors and lift gate, the roominess in the 2nd and 3rd rows, the flexibility of the technology, the large cargo space.....everything. I loved it so much I did some quick research on my phone then I completely tossed aside my stigma of driving a minivan and signed the papers. The only technical difficulties I have had have been the driver's side sliding door can be temperamental and the lift gate sometimes doesn't go down automatically when button is depressed. Both issues have been extremely intermittent and are an annoyance. It does have more road noise than I was used to as well. I have had no problems other problems listed by others. I have replaced the tires and the battery. However, I will say the driver's seat has become increasing uncomfortable for me. It started with the test drive when I noticed the oddly angled head 'restraints', certainly not rests, and thought I could get used to them....NOPE. The seat has grown increasingly uncomfortable for me despite any of the adjustments I have made. I have since learned I do have back problems, unrelated to the seat, but it sure didn't help. Let me say I have owned a large variety of cars/trucks '68-2011; Chevy, Ford, Landcruiser, Saturn, VW, Lincoln, and Dodge. I can say this is the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in. It is causing me to look at a trade in due to the seat however, I learned this angle is a recent Federal mandate in hopes of lessening whiplash. I have a feeling I'll be looking at used 2011 and older. It pains me to let go due to sentimental attachment and how well this van still fits our family but the pain has got to go. I had planned on driving it until the wheels fall off! Until then, I will continue to use my supportive and corrective seat and back support pillows. Two friends have purchased the exact same vehicle, are much shorter than 5'6'' and have had the same complaints: sore back, leg numbness, tailbone pain, and general discomfort so while I have back trouble this does point to an uncomfortable driver's seat.

Constant Front brake issues
By Dman760

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has numerous front brake issues. The front rotors are too small for the vehicle so they overheat and warp about every 15,000 Miles. Honda will do nothing about it and they refuse to fix it for free. Other than this I love this van.

Time for Honda to leave America in my opinion
By shorty73

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have two Honda Odysseys a 2011 elite and a 2005 touring. Honda dealerships will not stand behind either one. The 2005 has problems with needing a motor mount due to virbration from variable cylindar management system. Had tires for life if I had maintenance done at the dealer. Went through 4 sets of michelins. None got over 30,000 miles. Honda made dealers by a 30,000 tire changing machine and my tires (free for life started costing me 340 dollars for each new set.
Bought a service contract from Honda dealer and after two years had to replace two windshields. The policy did not cover OEM parts. Now I own a Hybrid part Honda and part Aftermarket crap. Having strut problems; not covered.

Honda use to make a good automobile. Too many problems lately and neither will Honda or the Dealer stand behind their product. Example, the US congress and Honda are at logerheads over Honda overall failure to stand behind the Takata air bags. I am going with Hundai in the future.

Man UP If you can't manufacture a product you can stand behind keep it on your side of the pond. My Opinion

Unreliable
By lefty007

2011 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new. Had a noise coming from the front strut at 10K miles. Took it to the dealership and the performed service bulletin 11-038, that fixed the problem for another 10K until the noise came back. Took it back to the dealership and they fix it again. Another 15K or so and the noise came back. Took it back to the dealership, now they found they have to change the struts. Car out of warranty, Honda made me paid for the repair, although it had been documented that this was a problem and they even had a service bulletin out. Do some research and see how many service bulletins there are. I guess 2011 wasn't a good year for Odysseys, and Honda won't stand by their products.