2011 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Unreliable
By lefty007 on 06/04/14 07:38 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new. Had a noise coming from the front strut at 10K miles. Took it to the dealership and the performed service bulletin 11-038, that fixed the problem for another 10K until the noise came back. Took it back to the dealership and they fix it again. Another 15K or so and the noise came back. Took it back to the dealership, now they found they have to change the struts. Car out of warranty, Honda made me paid for the repair, although it had been documented that this was a problem and they even had a service bulletin out. Do some research and see how many service bulletins there are. I guess 2011 wasn't a good year for Odysseys, and Honda won't stand by their products.

Seriously!?
By odysseyforme on 10/08/13 21:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Odyssey since August 2011 and it has 35k on it. I used to love it and now I want to melt it down to form a casket. I averaged 33 miles all the time until a few months ago. I now average 11, yes you read correctly a third of what I used to get. Two dealerships cannot explain this, they did replace the struts. Why?! I have never had a car that needed this work before this soon. The other issue is the gremlins...the Bluetooth switching from phone to van to phone to van, etc while on call or not. The last irritating issue is the computer reset, the car resets itself as if you just refueled it but you haven't.

3 Transmissions
By shicketmaster on 08/05/13 19:35 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new and had banging transmission problem and stranded around 20K miles. After 2 weeks of Honda being unable to determine underlying cause of problem, the transmission was replaced with a rebuilt. I found it concerning that they had rebuilt transmissions already for this new model of transmission when it needed replaced. Second transmission made it twice as long and started having rough shifting problems. Replaced again at 60K miles just before end of warranty. Lucky due to timing, but unlucky with transmissions on this vehicle. Don't get a touring with the 6 speed because they don't know why this keeps happening. Otherwise, enjoy the vehicle.

2011 Honda Odyssey Ex Falling apart
By dustync on 07/19/13 14:53 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Now over 181,000 miles on the car, I think I'm qualified to call the Odyssey a piece of Junk! The ticking sound a lot of people hear when turning the car; those are no doubt, defective CV shaft and joints. You just won't find out until you put more miles on the car. I took the car in at 5,000 miles because of the ticking; the dealer "lubricated" the front strut mounts? Between 12,000 and 93,000 miles, I had six (6) front brake jobs, including 3 rotor replacements. Turns out that quite possibly, the Dealer mechanics were not re-installing the rotors to proper specs, and they would warp in no time! Ever since taking it to my independent shop; Zero problems (brakes). Many other Defects!

A real world vehicle
By northstar243 on 02/19/13 07:56 AM (PST)

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This one does it all. No, it does not handle like a sports car nor does it get the mileage of a hybrid, but if you need the space for 8 people and still like a respectable 30 mpg while cruising at 70 mph, then it does what it needs to do. Like a circus clown car, the outside dimensions and driving experience do not begin to tell the full story about just how much space is inside and how much you can do with it. The Honda Odyssey gives you all the minivan benefits while offering the least "minivan like" package.

Waste of 40Gs
By 2goldens_1 on 12/23/11 08:36 AM (PST)

2011 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Too many problems that Honda cannot fix. Tried 6 times still can't fix them, so they have now determined 'normal'. It is normal for the AC to turn on by itself. It is normal for it to start vibrating as if going over rumble strips. It is normal for the front end to make grinding noises. It is normal for 'Low Battery' message to come on all the time. By the way, when vibration gets very bad, I've lost throttle response - cannot accelerate. Has happened three times. Only 6000 kms on vehicle. Wish I bought Toyota Sienna or Dodge would have been better. This is my third and last new Honda vehicle. Customer service has been pathetic. Don't buy this lemon on wheels!

Not Reliable - No Roadside Assistance on Warranty
By 4kennyk on 11/30/11 20:59 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

At 3100 miles would not start - just clicked. It was a Sunday, there was no one to call, seems I didn't buy an extended warranty which would provide Honda Care/roadside. Charged battery, key dropped at dealership. Dealer advised nothing wrong, but put in a new battery just in case - mentioned no parasitic drain. Looked up parasitic drain, seems to be a chronic problem with Odyssey dating back to 2004, that is difficult to fix, and leaves many stranded. Traded in on a Yukon at a $5k + loss - Honda doesn't care - they don't even answer the phone on Sundays. By the way, fuel mileage was at worst about 20, at best about 25, with a very light foot, flat and 75% hwy w/ normal a/c use.

2011 transmission issues
By madjackson on 10/14/11 15:25 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

the transmission shudders @ 15-30 mph took it to the dealer 1st time told me nothing was wrong 3rd time they are waiting for honda to figure out was is the problem no time line I have a child on a ventilator this is his primary transportation they said it is safe to drive how can it be safe if they cant even tell me what the problem is my concern is being stranded with 2 kids and one with a boat load of medical equipment spoke with honda directly they said they MIGHT get back to us in 2 weeks fine we told the dealer we wanted to trade it for a pilot and in so many words they said no we needed to wait for honda to tell them what they could do! btw we didnt ask for anything special on trade in

Another rave review
By noflash1 on 09/29/11 14:13 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The ride is very smooth and the van feels so solid, it really feels like you are driving an Acura. We got the EXL to get a ton of goodies and nothing too frivilous. I can't consider $2k for nav when I need it once a year and can buy an aftermarket for $200. And I don't want my kids watching DVDs the second they get in the car. The EXL has tons of great features; my favorite being the CD Library -- it'll record about 400 songs from your CDs to a hard drive. The safety is top notch, great crash test, large rear view camera is very comforting. We've been averaging 24 mpg in mild weather -- no A/C. It's the only minivan you can fit 2 carseat and a Granni in the middle row. :)

Awesome Vehicle
By daytonjohn on 09/29/11 07:15 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The new Honda Odyssey is absolutely fantastic to own and drive. We had owned the 1999 Odyssey and drove it for 9-years, loving it. The new Odyssey is improved in every way. The ride is very comfortable even on long trips. The way the middle seats can be adjusted, including sliding outward toward each door is very innovative and allows for up to three child seats side-by-side if needed. We also have a 2011 Buick Enclave which has been excellent, but I enjoy the features and overall driving characteristics better in the Honda.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Honda Odyssey in VA is:

$107 per month*