Used 2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

1 solid mini-van
By fmichael

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There's no surprise that the Odyssey is 1 of the best selling mini-vans on the market today...Solid build quality, reliable, comfortable, and versatile...Fuel economy has averaged 22/23 mpg with 80% hwy/20% city driving.

Handles 70 plus mph just fine (well built engine/transmission), firm road manners (handles like a much smaller car), great all-around visibility from the drivers seat, and lots of interior room.

This is minor - however I wish my Oddy would've come with better OEM tires; the Michelin LX aren't exactly awful tires, but I would've preferred the Cooper CS4 (which IMO is equal to the Michelin Harmony).

Basic features missing for a loaded car
By Boilerace

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned a Toyota Sienna Van. Liked the car, but went to buy a new one and they did not want to deal. Price for Honda EX-L with Nav and RES was amazing right out of the gate. So we bought it. The van is good, but disappointed in Honda. They seem stuck in the past with basic styling. The van is built well, but the exterior is boring. The van is loaded, BUT I am so upset that with all the great features that there are basics missing. Automatic lights are not on the van. We leave the lights on once a week. Basics of "Miles to empty". It has a nav system but I can't tell me how many miles until empty. The van is good.....don't love it, but it's good.

It's a Honda. You know it will last over 5 years and value will hold......unlike most American cars. Nav system is great and the roominess is really good.

Auto lights and miles to empty. Almost every car around $30K has these features. On a Honda you have to go to the touring model.

So far so good...
By Christy

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I never thought I'd say it, but I love my new minivan! I've only had it a week, but I don't know how I got along without it before. The power sliding doors and tailgate are awesome. It is so easy to get my kids in and out of the car now. The carseats are easy to configure and install in this vehicle. My baby's infant seat fits perfectly behind my seat, even with seat back to accommodate my longer legs' length. So far, my only complaint is that there is only one 12V outlet in the front of the van, so I can't charge my Garmin and cell phone at the same time. My previous ride was a 2006 Pilot and I had three outlets within arm's length. Despite this, I'm still lovin' my new Ody!

Power sliding doors and tailgate; back-up camera (didn't even know it had one until I went to pick up the car, but I love having it!).

At least one more 12V outlet in the front of the van.

VCM - needs an OFF switch
By gman

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The VCM activates/deactivates about 150 times per 100 miles. Each time it activated I lost about 2-4 mph while on 70mph (cruise control). When it deactivates VCM – all of the cylinders kick back in and I was back up to my cruise control setting speed of 70mph. Rather annoying especially when you have vehicles in front and behind you and they are at a steady cruise speed. Down to 3 cylinders is when you hear and feel an annoying growling. Then a loss of power and you lose speed. HONDA, please put in a switch to disengage the 3 cylinder mode which I believe is the issue. The 4 cyl mode doesn't seem to be a problem. From NY to FL, I experienced the same.

Exterior style, seating arrangements, space, color, rear fold down, middle removable, reliability, stature, overall performance.

HONDA, please put in a switch to disengage the 3 cylinder mode. VCM 6/4/3 switch. A Sport Suspension Mode would be nice as well, especially when you are loaded. Needs a better XM radio. My Sonata has a better one. Standard tow package would be nice.

Third and Goal
By Third Odyssey

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are on our third Odyssey and will likely go for a fourth. The 09 Touring has great features and functionality and keeps on getting better compared to our 04 and 05. Road noise is non-existent, fuel economy is 22 city and 28 highway. The radio is well placed and logical and the nav has everything including a compass. I paid 40% off of the $42K sticker due to dealer hunger. First time I have felt good about my purchase price.

Bluetooth handsfree linkage to cellphone, auto on headlights, foglights, power rear tailgate.

For the money, the nav system ought to have real-time traffic built in.