2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Love our Odyssey
By Red Devil on 04/20/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just passed 25,000 miles on our EX-L. So far we have had zero issues. Love the comfort of this minivan. The handling and agility is quite impressive for a minivan. Road noise can creep through on occasion. Not the perfect minivan, but a very good one.

Rides Like A Truck
By DrFerry on 03/28/10 13:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We had a 2000 Odyssey LX and kept for nine years. My wife replaced our 2000 model with a new EX-L in July '09 - when Dealers were practically giving them away. The most annoying thing about the van is how harsh it rides. It crashes over the smallest bumps. Potholes feel as if the van has no suspension as everything seems to shake and vibrate. The vehicle is way over sprung and over damped in bump and rebound. A road can look smooth, but the ride will be jiggly, nervous and harsh. I have had ridden in Pick- Up trucks that do a better job of isolating road irregularities than a 2009 Odyssey EX-L. I wish we could take it back and get a model with a softer ride. Go for a long test drive folks.

Great for 5; Need more power points
By Gil P. on 12/06/09 18:06 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have driven 18K in a year. From the midwest, have gone to NYC, Chicago, Disney, and many other few hour trip. Awesome vehicle, 2nd one owned, traded in Pilot when family became 5. The use of space is terrific. MPG is as expected. The only downside is the features and innovation have seemed to plateaued. Also, to make space for the Ipod jack, they took away a lighter/power point. This leaves two for the EX-L. And when you have 3 kids, all who want to watch or play some form of entertainment on a 8 hour trip... recipe for fighting. Other than that, Odyssey is the best family vehicle going.

First minivan and love it
By Ven on 11/05/09 19:45 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first mini van and I love it. Have all the nice features. Haven't experienced anything bad. A few changes both cosmetic and technical which would cost a penny to Honda can make it even more fun. Cosmetic like: on the driver/passenger side when the seat belt is released, the hook that is retracted is making scratches on the plastic and it is looking ugly after a few months. Maybe a softer plastic can be used like Toyota. And technical, VCM. And the child seat, if that can be stowable it will be great.

NICE but: Don't get the VCM model
By George on 10/02/09 05:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Odyssey BUT -- don't get the VCM model. There is a low growl/drone vibration you can feel and hear when it kicks into 3 cyl mode. Especially in cold weather. HONDA WON'T disable it and claims that the noise is normal! VCM doesn't activate when the engine is cold during the first 5 min of driving so there must be a way to disable it programmatically. There also is a loss of power that is noticeable during VCM cruise on slight inclines. This causes the mph to drop well below your cruise setting. I prefer to eat the fuel savings (if any) than put up with this annoyance. It is extremely noticeable at 40 and 70 mph and when fully loaded. Must be at just the right rpm's.

Good choice!
By teresa on 08/27/09 06:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2006 odyssey lease. Love the new EXL with auto tailgate. Researched many models and bought the best! Got a very fair price and good dealer experience. Also great for traveling, holds everything for a months vacation. Also like our color choice which is dark cherry. Very pleased with our purchase.

So far so good...
By Christy on 08/07/09 21:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I never thought I'd say it, but I love my new minivan! I've only had it a week, but I don't know how I got along without it before. The power sliding doors and tailgate are awesome. It is so easy to get my kids in and out of the car now. The carseats are easy to configure and install in this vehicle. My baby's infant seat fits perfectly behind my seat, even with seat back to accommodate my longer legs' length. So far, my only complaint is that there is only one 12V outlet in the front of the van, so I can't charge my Garmin and cell phone at the same time. My previous ride was a 2006 Pilot and I had three outlets within arm's length. Despite this, I'm still lovin' my new Ody!

VCM - needs an OFF switch
By gman on 07/27/09 07:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The VCM activates/deactivates about 150 times per 100 miles. Each time it activated I lost about 2-4 mph while on 70mph (cruise control). When it deactivates VCM all of the cylinders kick back in and I was back up to my cruise control setting speed of 70mph. Rather annoying especially when you have vehicles in front and behind you and they are at a steady cruise speed. Down to 3 cylinders is when you hear and feel an annoying growling. Then a loss of power and you lose speed. HONDA, please put in a switch to disengage the 3 cylinder mode which I believe is the issue. The 4 cyl mode doesn't seem to be a problem. From NY to FL, I experienced the same.

Horror-bolt disintegrated-uppr eng lost
By Pat on 06/29/09 11:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Sold 11 yr running Dodge Caravan, bought 09 Honda Odyssey. Had for about 3 months, took out west. Before return home took drive to Sedona, AZ, lost power on National Forest Road w/few places to pull over - van towed to dealership on Sunday. Monday told the whole upper engine destroyed by disintegrated bolt, needed days to repair. Afraid to drive it home about 1800 miles to Ohio. Informed insurance agent of manufacturer defect - if something else happens to investigate van. Seriously worried we could have been in bad accident. Honda disinterested in our concerns - repaired to their satisfaction not ours.

Great Van, but...
By First Odyssey on 06/01/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love our new Odyssey. We had good luck with our 2000 Grand Caravan but the Honda looked better this time. We have just a few minor issues though, the digital displays are all over the dash and look like they were borrowed from a ten dollar watch. The clock and climate control settings are hard to see when the sun is out, and there's no constant display of the odometer except as one of three or four display options with the trip computer. And, what's with no compass? The daytime running lights/headlights have confused me as I have an automatic headlight switch on my other vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan in VA is:

$124 per month*