2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
DO NOT BUY HONDA ODYSSEY...MUST READ!!!!
By Mary Snyder on 12/31/09 10:27 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

DO NOT BUY HONDA ODYSSEY'S. New 2009 Honda Odyssey with 5000 miles. Dealer has had to upgrade the transmission software twice and replaced the torque converter one to attempt to eliminate a transmission/vehicle vibration issue. Steering wheel shakes when moved off center and vibrates at highway speeds. Tires rotated, balanced, etc. Both problems still present with no improvement. Both sliding doors rattled severely, now they just squeak. Dealer won't touch the vehicle anymore to prevent Lemon Law from becoming effective. Drive vehicle on smooth roads and YOU WILL notice these issues.

Best-in-class van
By FirstOdyssey on 10/18/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

New dad with rapidly-growing infant. Reliability, comfort, convenience were top considerations. Like other reviewers, compared Odyssey to Sienna, Quest, VW, as well as against large SUVs. Found Odyssey to be best combination of features/utility/design for the price and for our needs. Purchased end-of-year model with 40 miles on odometer for about $1600 under invoice. Drives more like a car (albeit a Honda, and not a BMW), surprisingly roomy, cavernous cargo space when 3rd row is folded down, intuitive/ingenious fold-down 3rd row, trouble-free through first 500 miles. Solid feel throughout. Plastic dash, but that's what you get for about $25K.

Good intro to minivan ownership
By dad2be on 10/14/09 12:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had this van for about 6 months now and are very satisfied with our purchase. Just got back from a 3000 mile road-trip to Florida and averaged the EPA stated 23 mpg with a full load. At purchase time, we got almost $6000 off of MSRP (when deals were good prior to cash for clunkers) which certainly influenced our decision and I still think it is a great value. No mechanical problems to date. I read through some other reviews and folks mention the road noise and the way the transmission shifts. Nothing that bothers our family, but do take a long test drive with a mix of city and highway roads before purchasing any vehicle - don't assume you'll love it just because it's a Honda...

Soccer Dad
By Alan on 10/02/09 15:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A++++ , First ever Mini in my life, looked at Sienna & others stopped once I drove this one. It's not really a van , more like a car. Dealership did an excellent price as well, no others would come this low price wise for less quality. Roomy, classy and you can still look like a cool guy...lol. My boys love it , lots of storage for sports stuff and as my oldest says "wow there are a lot of cup holders".

1 solid mini-van
By fmichael on 08/25/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There's no surprise that the Odyssey is 1 of the best selling mini-vans on the market today...Solid build quality, reliable, comfortable, and versatile...Fuel economy has averaged 22/23 mpg with 80% hwy/20% city driving.

Gas mileage
By Allen on 07/18/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 2,300 miles on my Odyssey and I get, in my estimation very poor gas mileage. I told the service adviser when I went there, that I thought that when the motor was idling, it seems kind of high rpm and he had the mechanic check and said it was normal. I am not happy. After several tankfuls I filled the tank again this morning and am getting 17.42 miles per gallon and I drive mostly highway miles.

Family Hauler
By Firerobin on 06/26/09 21:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just recently upgraded from a Saturn Vue to the Honda Odyssey. We couldn't be happier with the upgrade. At first the wife was worried about her coolness factor and driving a minivan, but after driving it for a few weeks she is in love with the room and convenience. I like it for the features and handling. On many occasions now I've been driving at highway speeds when a light turns red and I'm worried about stopping in time an was initially surprised that I stopped with no problem and had room to spare. In the Vue, I would have had trouble stopping. The seats are comfortable, everything seems to be of good build quality.

Hope based on reputation
By HHSBS on 05/05/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda is a well reputed co., so we bought the minivan. Having said that, overall I am very happy with the interior room. But it lacks features and the most disturbing thing of all is the road / wind noise. If you plan to go out with family on long trips, this is not a van for you. Noise level is high and makes the journey a bit of a torture. Also lack of power outlet is a big disappointment. Will look elsewhere for my next car / van.

First Honda Owned
By Melissa on 04/21/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love it! I have a 2004 Town & County which has been the most unreliable vehicle owned. The T&C does seem to have a more comfortable ride as the Honda has a more "car feel" to the drive. However, the safety ratings and extra space - as well as reliability ratings - makes this a much better investment for the money. The drive in comfortable and the kids love the exterior look - a little sportier than the T&C. We cannot wait to move up to the EX-L or Touring in a few years.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan in NJ is:

$180 per month*