2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Unreliable
By lktowens on 06/17/13 16:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excessive oil consumption issue that Honda will not recognize (much less fix) causes this car to be highly unreliable. I will not buy another Honda.

The great debate: Sienna or Odyssey
By LaFio on 09/29/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I must have test driven each of these cars at least 3 times. In the end, I got an Odyssey because I got the better deal and more options. The Honda was fun. Downside: Honda road noise is awful and, after several weeks, I feel like I'm driving a tank with no pick up. The passenger seat feels like it teeters when you accelerate or stop. And the stitching on the steering wheel has come unraveled. The passenger doors don't open/close fast enough. I'm happy with the van (see pros below), but I wish I had gotten the Sienna, despite its boring appearance.

Great family car
By H Patel on 07/21/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great family car with excellent mileage. Gave about 27 mpg when driven to Niagara from Columbus. Love the leather and interior design. Automatic back door and sliding doors are must have feature for minivans. Paid 28,750 OTD price with 2.9% APR! Can't beat the price with the standard features that comes with this minivan while comparing with other vans...!

Great Van
By Doug on 07/18/09 08:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our family absolutely loves this van. We have a 2009 EXL-RES. The rear entertainment system (RES) is a pleasure on trips. It allows the front drivers to listen to music while the kids watch their videos through the wireless headphones. Driving comfort and space is outstanding. The van is quiet and has very good road manners. The Odyssey replaced a Toyota Highlander for us. We were seriously considering the Sequoia for this purchase. We just found this to be a better vehicle for the money than the Sequoia. We are now van converts.

No complaints
By Danielle on 07/15/09 06:05 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am currently leasing the 2009 EX-L model with rear entertainment. I have been very impressed so far. The comfort is great. The cargo space is excellent! I wasn't very excited about crossing over into the minivan world as a former SUV driver but I've actually enjoyed the switch.

The Best Of The Mini-Vans
By cm111 on 07/10/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey is best-of-breed. Great build-quality and very functional. Where other brands put money into bells and whistles, Honda focuses instead on a great drive-train, top-notch suspension, steering and supportive seating. We have had the Towne and Country and Grand Caravan. The Honda is a more responsive vehicle that leaves the driver feeling in-control.

Great vehicle except gas mileage
By Second Odyssey on 06/21/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned two Honda odysseys. A 2007 Odyssey Touring that met a deer late at night and a 2008 Odyssey EX-L (bought new after the 2007's accident). Both vehicles have been completely reliable, a joy to own and drive and perfect for my family. However, one big surprise. Even with the 3,4 & 6 cylinder switching engine, the fuel economy has been averaging 13- 14 mpg. I'm not an aggressive driver and now that I know I'm getting this mileage, I've been trying to improve it but with not a lot of success. On long trips things certainly improve but around town gas mileage is my biggest disappointment. I expected better, maybe 17-18.

Odyssey Excellent!!
By Olavanman on 05/18/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just love our 2009 Odyssey EX-L with RES. It feels just like our Accord. Drive: The drive is smooth and comfortable. Accelerates well. Comfort: We just love the leather interior, really comfortable seats. One drawback though is - the Steering Wheel should extend out a little farther for a little more comfort. I am 5'-6" and sometimes I find it hard to rest my arms on the arm rest and still be able to grip the steering comfortably. Anyone looking at buying the Odyssey should consider this. Interior Design: We just love the design. The fold-away center tray in the first row is a great thing to have. It makes moving from the front to the back so much easier (especially with kids).

So far so good....
By sid on 03/01/09 18:29 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After months of flipping between Odyssey and Sienna, I am a very happy owner of a Honda. Its fun to drive and turns like a normal car. Doesn't feel when you are driving a van, only when you see the space, it feels like a spaceship.

09 EX-L w/RES Just off Assembly Line
By raechris on 03/01/09 10:08 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased my first Honda and first minivan. It just came off the assembly line two weeks ago and the family could not be more excited. Having driven sports cars, sedans and wagons up until this point, I can honestly say after a short adjustment to the driving dynamic of a van, it is just wonderful. Having the unusual ability to detect even the smallest fault, there is a slight rattle/buzz above driver's head area, but the radio easily compensates. It is a living room on wheels, the kids have plenty of room and love all the options/variations, space. Insanely comfortable, amazing visibility, plenty of power and a VCM system that is nearly imperceptible. On the first half tank 19 mpg city.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan in WA is:

$155 per month*