Used 2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

3rd Engine >65,000 miles
By smith2121

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm on my third engine with less than 65,000 miles on the car. Luckily it's been under warranty for all repairs. However, in addition to the two new engines we've spent thousands of dollars on little repairs that keep coming up. We've owned the car for a little over two years and on average it's been in the shop once every month for the last two years. I will NEVER buy a Honda again.

Suggested Improvements

Each time we take our car into the shop for an issue covered under warranty the mechanics reach out to Honda and Honda decides to do the least expensive repair possible. They put a bandaid on when they should do surgery - spend the money to do repairs that will actually fix the car. Utterly disappointed in the level of service. I will never buy another Honda.

Unreliable
By lktowens

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excessive oil consumption issue that Honda will not recognize (much less fix) causes this car to be highly unreliable. I will not buy another Honda.

Noises and vibrations started at 22,000 miles
By cargus

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All kind of mechanical problems. Some were fixed under warranty and some noises they just do not know where they come from. CV joints needed to be replaced at 30,000, strut mounts went bad at 45,000. Noise is when I accelerate between 40 and 55 mph. I will not buy another Honda. On top of that the dealer does not seem to care and Honda customer service did nothing. I had 5 toyotas and never had any problems. Will have to go back to Toyota. STAY AWAY if you need a reliable car

Brakes, doors and windows
By RAC

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very unsatisfied with this vehicle. I'm owner of three other Honda and decided to buy and Odyssey. Decided to buy lower end Honda because i don't like automatic doors. van has been in the dealer twice for issues with the doors due problems with spring. at 21k miles van was having issues when pressing the brakes at 50 mph the steening wheels vibrates very hard, took van to the dealer and according to the dealer rotors are uneven and need re-surface or replacement. According to do them the problem is bad driving. I cannot believe this response. I have other Honda and has never had any issues with rotors at this early driving mileage. Warranty doesn't cover rotors after 10K miles. Van not recommended.

Favorite Features

None, very disappointed, rubber around the door is melting and causing black marks on the glass and causes the window to get stick

Suggested Improvements

Need to revise quality, Honda is going in the same trend as Toyota. Ignoring issues. Glove compartment door is uneven, Seal on rear door spoiler was replaced.

2009 Odyssey LX
By daveb

2009 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Ody but beware of the braking! 3 times now, I have applied the brakes and my foot caught the gas pedal also. VERY scary and dangerous. I have been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER had this problem. Seems the pedal is not high enough and there is no adjustment. 2 times this happened at busy 55mph intersection - engine racing, abs light on, van still moving forward and my foot on the brake. 3rd time, almost hit the basketball post in my driveway. I must be very aware of my foot position in this van when stopping - I think it is dangerous and dealer says there is no adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the brake pedal further off the floor.