Used 2009 Honda Odyssey LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Noises and vibrations started at 22,000 miles
By cargus

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All kind of mechanical problems. Some were fixed under warranty and some noises they just do not know where they come from. CV joints needed to be replaced at 30,000, strut mounts went bad at 45,000. Noise is when I accelerate between 40 and 55 mph. I will not buy another Honda. On top of that the dealer does not seem to care and Honda customer service did nothing. I had 5 toyotas and never had any problems. Will have to go back to Toyota. STAY AWAY if you need a reliable car

Brakes, doors and windows
By RAC

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very unsatisfied with this vehicle. I'm owner of three other Honda and decided to buy and Odyssey. Decided to buy lower end Honda because i don't like automatic doors. van has been in the dealer twice for issues with the doors due problems with spring. at 21k miles van was having issues when pressing the brakes at 50 mph the steening wheels vibrates very hard, took van to the dealer and according to the dealer rotors are uneven and need re-surface or replacement. According to do them the problem is bad driving. I cannot believe this response. I have other Honda and has never had any issues with rotors at this early driving mileage. Warranty doesn't cover rotors after 10K miles. Van not recommended.

Favorite Features

None, very disappointed, rubber around the door is melting and causing black marks on the glass and causes the window to get stick

Suggested Improvements

Need to revise quality, Honda is going in the same trend as Toyota. Ignoring issues. Glove compartment door is uneven, Seal on rear door spoiler was replaced.

2009 Odyssey LX
By daveb

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Ody but beware of the braking! 3 times now, I have applied the brakes and my foot caught the gas pedal also. VERY scary and dangerous. I have been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER had this problem. Seems the pedal is not high enough and there is no adjustment. 2 times this happened at busy 55mph intersection - engine racing, abs light on, van still moving forward and my foot on the brake. 3rd time, almost hit the basketball post in my driveway. I must be very aware of my foot position in this van when stopping - I think it is dangerous and dealer says there is no adjustment.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the brake pedal further off the floor.

2009 Honda Odyssey LX
By mikecnorthwest

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We replaced our 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager with this 2009 Honda Odyssey LX. We like to shop for quality products but our budget is also a limiting factor. The LX is a great way to get quality without having to break the bank. We got everything we need in a minivan, including excellent quality, without the added expense of features we don't really need. If you can live without power seats, power sliding doors, a high end stereo, leather, etc., then the LX is a great choice. Mechanically its really the same van as the high end model. You just need to be ready to open your own door and perhaps read a map if you really don't know where you're going.

Favorite Features

The seats are extremely comfortable, both front and rear. Plenty of storage space especially with the fold down rear seats. We also love the fact that the windows on the sliding doors open and close. Plenty of power on the engine and it really does drive like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise has been mentioned as being more pronounced in the Odyssey as compared to the Toyota Sienna. My wife has noticed this but so far I have not.

2009 LX - Not bad
By ale

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought the LX and have been driving it for a few days. The car is easy to handle and the ride is pretty smooth. I know it is an base model but for safety reasons, with children in mind, I wish Honda would just make all their models with electronic doors. I would have loved to purchase the EX but could not afford the price. Also would prefer the review mirrors to be a bit larger as their is a blind spot area that is hard to catch. Second, design the radio closer to the driver so you're not having to reach so far over to work the radio - some people are short. Finally, I think a tray, similar to the one in the front should also be placed between the second row seats.

Favorite Features

Easy handling, very roomy, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic doors on all models for child safety. I'm scared that my younger children will get smashed fingers or hands. The doors are heavy!! It's just not safe. A second row flip tray, like in the front, would be helpful for kids (drinks, food).