2009 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
3rd Engine >65,000 miles
By smith2121 on 05/16/14 18:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm on my third engine with less than 65,000 miles on the car. Luckily it's been under warranty for all repairs. However, in addition to the two new engines we've spent thousands of dollars on little repairs that keep coming up. We've owned the car for a little over two years and on average it's been in the shop once every month for the last two years. I will NEVER buy a Honda again.

Unreliable
By lktowens on 06/17/13 16:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excessive oil consumption issue that Honda will not recognize (much less fix) causes this car to be highly unreliable. I will not buy another Honda.

Noises and vibrations started at 22,000 miles
By cargus on 09/27/12 21:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

All kind of mechanical problems. Some were fixed under warranty and some noises they just do not know where they come from. CV joints needed to be replaced at 30,000, strut mounts went bad at 45,000. Noise is when I accelerate between 40 and 55 mph. I will not buy another Honda. On top of that the dealer does not seem to care and Honda customer service did nothing. I had 5 toyotas and never had any problems. Will have to go back to Toyota. STAY AWAY if you need a reliable car

Brakes, doors and windows
By RAC on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very unsatisfied with this vehicle. I'm owner of three other Honda and decided to buy and Odyssey. Decided to buy lower end Honda because i don't like automatic doors. van has been in the dealer twice for issues with the doors due problems with spring. at 21k miles van was having issues when pressing the brakes at 50 mph the steening wheels vibrates very hard, took van to the dealer and according to the dealer rotors are uneven and need re-surface or replacement. According to do them the problem is bad driving. I cannot believe this response. I have other Honda and has never had any issues with rotors at this early driving mileage. Warranty doesn't cover rotors after 10K miles. Van not recommended.

2009 Odyssey LX
By daveb on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Ody but beware of the braking! 3 times now, I have applied the brakes and my foot caught the gas pedal also. VERY scary and dangerous. I have been driving for over 30 years and have NEVER had this problem. Seems the pedal is not high enough and there is no adjustment. 2 times this happened at busy 55mph intersection - engine racing, abs light on, van still moving forward and my foot on the brake. 3rd time, almost hit the basketball post in my driveway. I must be very aware of my foot position in this van when stopping - I think it is dangerous and dealer says there is no adjustment.

Love our Odyssey
By Red Devil on 04/20/10 17:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just passed 25,000 miles on our EX-L. So far we have had zero issues. Love the comfort of this minivan. The handling and agility is quite impressive for a minivan. Road noise can creep through on occasion. Not the perfect minivan, but a very good one.

Rides Like A Truck
By DrFerry on 03/28/10 13:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We had a 2000 Odyssey LX and kept for nine years. My wife replaced our 2000 model with a new EX-L in July '09 - when Dealers were practically giving them away. The most annoying thing about the van is how harsh it rides. It crashes over the smallest bumps. Potholes feel as if the van has no suspension as everything seems to shake and vibrate. The vehicle is way over sprung and over damped in bump and rebound. A road can look smooth, but the ride will be jiggly, nervous and harsh. I have had ridden in Pick- Up trucks that do a better job of isolating road irregularities than a 2009 Odyssey EX-L. I wish we could take it back and get a model with a softer ride. Go for a long test drive folks.

Nice Van, Pricey
By D F on 03/16/10 07:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in 09' well under invoice. Van is comfortable, easy to drive, gets decent hwy mpg. Comfortable seating, plenty of room.

Electrical and mechanical Issues
By Brad Armstrong on 02/01/10 06:45 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan w/PAX (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car (2009 Honda Odyssey) quit on my wife in the middle of rush hour traffic. Smoke coming from under the hood and making a loud puffing sound. The dealer found that the timing belt cover had come loose and was leaking oil. The dealer fixed this issue. Now the car will only run for a few days at a time and will not start. Left the car at the dealer and they provided a rental. The dealer called to say the problem was fixed, but when I arrived to pick it up it would not start. They replaced the battery an this only lasted for for four days. They can't seem to find the problem. So far the dealer is doing all they can, but the car is now back in the shop.

DO NOT BUY HONDA ODYSSEY...MUST READ!!!!
By Mary Snyder on 12/31/09 10:27 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

DO NOT BUY HONDA ODYSSEY'S. New 2009 Honda Odyssey with 5000 miles. Dealer has had to upgrade the transmission software twice and replaced the torque converter one to attempt to eliminate a transmission/vehicle vibration issue. Steering wheel shakes when moved off center and vibrates at highway speeds. Tires rotated, balanced, etc. Both problems still present with no improvement. Both sliding doors rattled severely, now they just squeak. Dealer won't touch the vehicle anymore to prevent Lemon Law from becoming effective. Drive vehicle on smooth roads and YOU WILL notice these issues.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Odyssey in VA is:

$116 per month*