2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Cheap - Junk - Bad Buy
By Kelly Fredericks Wag on 08/29/08 05:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Japanese brand vehicle and I am very disappointed. I had a 2006 Town & Country that I really loved. No issues ever in 30,000 miles. Then I get talked into this Honda Odyssey. Well 19 trips to the dealer in 10 months for repairs to the brakes, transmission, seat heaters, oil leaks, electrical system and door motors makes me not recommend this, or any other Japanese nameplate.

Exceeds Expectations
By Traveler7 on 08/27/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought a 2008 EX-L just over 4 months ago and my wife (and I) couldn't be more pleased. We compared this vs. the Toyota Sienna, and while my wife liked the "softer/smoother" freeway ride of the Sienna, the Odyssey handled better than the Sienna when making any turns over 15 MPH. Around-town fuel economy averages about 19 MPG). The big test came last week when our family of 4 took a trip from So. Cal to the Bay Area. The Odyssey was *extremely* comfortable over the entire trip. The kicker was that I calculated that the van got **27.9 MPG** on the freeway. Avg speed: 75 MPH; cruise control on when possible; A/C on about 80% of the time. The variable-cylinder technology really works well!

5,000 Mile Update - Not Good!
By fiend_bear on 08/26/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

OK - I have to agree with another reviewer that said many folks will take back their great ratings after putting some miles on the Ody. This is a follow up to an earlier review. The 2008 Ody drives and handles well, but that's where it all stops. Our problems to date include: steering spline knock, faulty wheel alignment, engine ping/knock, oil leak, rattling front windows, and Air Conditioning that currently works only on the passenger side. None of these issues were of course apparent when the car was purchased, but it did not take very long for them to surface. We are bringing the Ody in for service tomorrow, so we'll see how things go. But for now, it's two big thumbs down!

Honda Odyssey vs. Seinna MiniVan
By eyedoc on 08/24/08 13:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I looked at these two vehicles when deciding to purchase a mini van. Others in the market did not have the build, drive, and quality of these two manufacturers. Comparing the odyssey touring edition without pax tires (do not recommend pax tires) vs. the sienna limited edition here are the pros and cons of each: Odyssey: Pros: Front load dvd player, good storage, middle seat in second row, better layout of buttons for opening side doors, power rear lift button (not a strap that needs to be pulled) Cons: Seats are not very comfortable, brakes not as responsive and strong, fuel economy

Creaking, Squeaking, & Rattling
By kp on 08/20/08 16:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The first 3 months, this van was in the dealership off and on for 7 weeks. The rattling noises in the windows and doors were so loud that my 5 year old son thought it was hailing outside on a sunny day. Overall, space is awesome. Dvd & Nav function w/o any issues. Rear view camera is strange & deceiving. Almost out of car seats and will definitely switch out to a less noisy SUV.

Disappointed
By Gail on 08/17/08 20:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just leased a 2008 Odyssey last week of May. Barely three months old, on our way for a vacation the car broke down. It was brought into a Honda dealer and they found that there was a leak on the transmission and the clutch was burned. Good thing we were able to stop at the nearest area. So scared of what happened as we were with our five year old son. Now, even if we take it back and they changed the whole transmission, i will never feel safe again especially for our son.

Excellent BUT. . .
By melissa on 08/12/08 23:18 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought the 2008 Odyssey EX-L today. Great car, consistently reliable (i've owned several other Hondas over the years) However, could use automatic lights and automatic locks. The outdoor temperature shouldn't be on the dash with mileage it should be on rear view mirror like Chevy. Too new to tell how the gas mileage is. . . hopefully at least 21-22mpg. We'll See.

Satisfied
By Jim on 08/07/08 17:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Not sure how you can get under 17 mpg in the city. I guess those posting 12- 13 must really live in a city, with stop and go, heavy traffic and never drive over 5-10 mph. We average 18.5 mpg city (suburban driving) and 25-26 highway (only measured highway mileage once). 1900 miles on the odometer. Sold our 4wd Sienna got 12mpg. This is basically the same interior size getting 80% better city mpg.

I only buy the safest!
By The Driver on 08/04/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunately we have had many issues with our brakes. They seem to need “time” to build pressure. When we leave our house, stopping at the stop sign takes a lot of work. Now I don’t mean it is impossible to stop, just uncomfortable. I have taken it into the dealership many times and they seem to do something that makes the brakes feel great at the time, but in a few weeks they go back to feeling the same. I’m still dealing with this issue after about 5 months now and I’m in the process of getting a lawyer to get it taken back on lemon law. Don’t get me wrong thought; I’m very comfortable when driving and it looks stylish. In my opinion it gets great gas mileage for a minivan. Check it out!

1 month and 1,000 miles later
By SPDFAN on 08/01/08 20:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It has been a month and 1,000 miles since we got our Odyssey. I am very impressed with the van and I am very happy with the buy. The van drives very smooth and plenty of power and good agility. It is also very roomy and comfortable. We have 2 car seats and the interior room is great for our family. The sound system and the DVD player works great. The Navi and DVD are easy to use. I first thought there might be too many features to learn. But it only took me a short time to be very comfortable with all of the controls and features. The gas mileage is good for a vehicle this size, thanks to the cylinder deactivation. I get 18 to 23 combined both freeway and city.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.