Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Most Helpful|
O8 Odyssey Touring
By jojobird

2008 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle is average with utility in mind. This could be an excellent basic transportation were it not for tire and drivetrain vibration, road noise and Honda's denial and refusal to fix problems. This is not a luxury vehicle even though it is priced as one. Not refined, just good basic transportation. There are better choices.

Favorite Features

space,Nav and bumper sensors.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality leather and more selections on power seats. Better dash materials and sound insulations for quieter interior.

So far so good
By Nala_Bay Area

2008 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan w/PAX (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just changed 4 PAX tires after 53,200 miles. Everyone was surprised that it was the first set of tires after the original. It is expensive (about $1,300 for the whole job), but we thought safety is priceless knowing that we won't loss control of the van with a bad tire. We love this van and drive it every day (long daily commute and weekend leisure).

Favorite Features

Smooth handling & sturdy. Great entertainment/peace of mind (kid watching DVD in the back with headphone and I can listen to radio while driving). Very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Noise level on freeway should be reduced. Brake squares and was told by dealership that it was normal. A better brake system will definitely help.

Rear engine mount failure very costly
By lonosc

2008 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just spent $1K replacing the rear engine mount after 60K miles. After researching further, discovered this is common part failure, and will re-occur every 50 - 60,000 miles. Will definitely trade off this vehicle before another 60K miles and will never buy another again. This is a vital part and should not fail so frequently. I expected better quality from Honda.

Favorite Features

automatic side doors, fold down rear seats in cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

find a permanent fix for the rear engine mount so owners do not have to pay extra $1,000 every 50 - 60,000 miles to keep their vehicle on the road, on top of all the other expenses to keep it running.

1st owner & 5 1/2 yrs later I am still happy!
By billybeefcake

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I picked out a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 5 1/2 years ago with 20 miles on it. We now have just over 73,000 on the vehicle, and we are even more happy now than when we purchased the van because nothing has gone wrong. There has been several recalls such as the brakes, the transmission reprogramming, and cabin noise, but Honda was pretty good (once they acknowledged the issues) at taking care of them. With a fully loaded van (family/cargo) on a flat road I can get 27/28 mpg easily. In town she avg. 18-20 depending on how much a/c we are using. As for us we have had a good experience.

No More!
By Tony Cruz

2008 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my van with 30K miles, and now nearly 90K miles I had a major engine failure (cylinder 5 blew). Honda knows there have been problems with this particular year, yet, will not make me whole. My warranty, of course, was useless. I was over my miles by 200 miles, all highway miles en route to my father in laws funeral. They didn't do sqaut for me! Let's just say I will not be buying another honda again. They're no longer 'reliable' to me and they produced an inferior product. I've got two old Fords that are still kicking! I'll be buying American moving forward...thanks to honda.

Favorite Features

What good are features if the damn car is not reliable!

Suggested Improvements

My impression is you have cut corners in production or something. I spent nearly $24K plus interest to buy this van on the BELIEF it would be reliable (even new used), because it was a HONDA. How foolish I was and how do I truly regret making this buy. There is something wrong with the engine in the production model and you are perfectly willing to let the consumer bear the burden for your lack of engineering effort and honesty. Forget the model, your engines are supposed to be one of the most envied, with a long history of useful life. What happened? Is the need to cut cost so strong, so needed by your shareholders, that you're willing to lose your reputation in the process?