Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Great car
By Rifat

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Honda Odyssey, first one 2002-2008, it is a great van, fun to drive, smooth, good fuel economy, strong and dependable, I drove the van from Cincinnati to Chicago with family of 5 and infant in a car seat, carrying 10 luggages, no problems at all, navigation needs update, dvd is excellent, wish if awd is available. This van worth every Penny.

Favorite Features

exterior, interior, DVD, strong, fuel economy, back seats fold easily, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

need AWD, improve navigation

Overall happy except for rattles
By haji

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned this car for 1.5 years. Fairly happy with it, no mechanical problems yet. It offers lots of room for the whole family including the in- laws. Rattles - the plastic panels along the outside vertical edge of the driver and passenger doors badly rattle at high speed(fix with body shop tape). Rear seats are difficult to access when child's seats are installed in middle row. The system informs how close you are to an oil change using the TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system) light comes and the engine light. The TPMS light should only come on when there is a problem with tire pressure and should not be used to communicate the need for an oil change - imho. Mileage is ok ~ 20mph

Favorite Features

Opening power doors with remote. Backup camera - how did I ever live without it? Homelink system.

Suggested Improvements

The driver head rest is incredibly uncomfortable - protrudes too far forward. Don't use TPMS light to communicate a needed oil change. One button operation on keyless remote that closes all power doors, windows, and locks the car. Make it quieter - too much road noise. Too many rattles.

16th Honda
By Hondaman

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Yes, that's no typo--I've had 16 Hondas (and 1 Acura). First van though, and I've had it 24 months w/o problems. It doesn't handle like a Civic--but it doesn't ride like one either. It's been comfortable, safe and reliable. Fun? Hey, it's a VAN for crying out loud. It does make an odd "clunk" in the back end when using reverse sometimes or turning hard to the right. But I've got no real complaints. It's not like my CRVs for toughness, it's not like my Civics for mpg. It IS like my Accords for comfort. I still can't get over the stigma of owning a minivan but if you have to have one, the Odyssey is the one to get.

Favorite Features

AUX jack for my XM radio (didn't want the L package just to get it). 8th passenger seat. One touch doors.

Suggested Improvements

1 touch up/down passenger window. Moonroof option w/o spending $5k more for the touring package. Black as a standard color not the higher package models. Why do we need 3 shades of silver/grey? Heated CLOTH seats.

My first 18 months
By scottinky

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took out a lease on this 2008 EX-L after trying the large SUV route. This is by far the most practical vehicle I have ever owned. The interior is well laid out, but materials could be better. Engine is responsive and smooth. Ride, even in the third row is comfortable. My kids love the DVD player. My wife and I love the ease of entry and exit. Despite my ego issues with driving a van and having had the opportunity to dump out of it early and go back to a cheaper SUV, I just couldn't do it. Dealer service has been excellent in dealing with the transmission problem and the noise issues. All have been fixed. Hopefully I won't have any more issues to deal with, just gas and tires.

Favorite Features

Power sliding doors. Gauge cluster, back up camera, DVD system, hwy fuel economy, sat radio, sporty driving experience and cargo/people hauling capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Improve interior materials. Too much wind and road noise, better sound insulation. More engine HP and AWD model. Improve door trim design, get rid of the stupid silver trim, it comes loose and rattles.

Long Term Review
By Rich

The Odyssey bought new in 08 has 27K. I posted previous reviews. Additional comments to previous posts are the brake feel could be improved. Mileage improved to 30 mpg on several trips using 91 octane, non ethanol gas, speed 60 -65 mph. 28MPG has been seen many times. In the suburbs mileage is 21 - 23, Keep acceleration RPM at 2000 vs jack rabbit starts. The van has had no repairs except for a minor issue with the glove compartment door becoming misaligned due to a screw.

Favorite Features

Interior gauge legibility, headlight projection at night, seat comfort, ease of entry/exit, turning circle, outside style, outside visibility, navigation and XM radio, EXL/Nav features, drive-ability, tray/cup-holders between driver/fr passenger. Great long distance hauler for older couple like us.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality of interior plastics. Reduce road noise, improve paint quality, update the dash design, & improve radio sound. The power tail-gate and auto-off lights which became standard on the 09 was a good update. Wish we had those features.