2008 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Do Not Buy a Honda - Many Problems
By steve on 03/09/10 19:15 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a lemon and has transmission and engine problems. Torque Converter problem with transmission is a known problem they can't fix. They keep getting service updates for the computer but still can t figure it out. Seems like Honda is on its way to Toyotaville. So many problems covered up so the reliability of Japanese cars is now just history. Too bad.

Never buy a honda
By julieinky on 03/02/10 17:25 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned Odessey since 10-08.My husband and I thought we were buying a reliable vehicle for our family, but proven wrong!While driving with our 2 children in the van hit the brakes to slow down and the vehicle accelerated on its own.We had to fight to keep from hitting the turning car in front of us.Had in dealership 6 times to fix the problem NOT fixed yet. This isn't a constant problem and dealer can not diagnose a problem. May not happen for another 600 miles. Therefore while driving constantly have hand on gear shift in case the van needs to be put in neutral.Scared to death to have kids in the van. Air leaks, wind noise, interior lights come for no reason!

Frustrated Odyssey
By Ed Warrior on 01/20/10 20:08 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I can't believe an Odyssey with torque converter issues at 20k miles. It isn't the only issue with this year model add front brake rotor since first day and both front axis tips damages. New replacement not available until end of January. I am running a "new" minivan with a lot of problems basically since 0 miles.

Great car
By Rifat on 01/02/10 14:11 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Honda Odyssey, first one 2002-2008, it is a great van, fun to drive, smooth, good fuel economy, strong and dependable, I drove the van from Cincinnati to Chicago with family of 5 and infant in a car seat, carrying 10 luggages, no problems at all, navigation needs update, dvd is excellent, wish if awd is available. This van worth every Penny.

Overall happy except for rattles
By haji on 12/31/09 15:18 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned this car for 1.5 years. Fairly happy with it, no mechanical problems yet. It offers lots of room for the whole family including the in- laws. Rattles - the plastic panels along the outside vertical edge of the driver and passenger doors badly rattle at high speed(fix with body shop tape). Rear seats are difficult to access when child's seats are installed in middle row. The system informs how close you are to an oil change using the TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system) light comes and the engine light. The TPMS light should only come on when there is a problem with tire pressure and should not be used to communicate the need for an oil change - imho. Mileage is ok ~ 20mph

16th Honda
By Hondaman on 12/29/09 18:54 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Yes, that's no typo--I've had 16 Hondas (and 1 Acura). First van though, and I've had it 24 months w/o problems. It doesn't handle like a Civic--but it doesn't ride like one either. It's been comfortable, safe and reliable. Fun? Hey, it's a VAN for crying out loud. It does make an odd "clunk" in the back end when using reverse sometimes or turning hard to the right. But I've got no real complaints. It's not like my CRVs for toughness, it's not like my Civics for mpg. It IS like my Accords for comfort. I still can't get over the stigma of owning a minivan but if you have to have one, the Odyssey is the one to get.

My first 18 months
By scottinky on 11/29/09 06:08 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took out a lease on this 2008 EX-L after trying the large SUV route. This is by far the most practical vehicle I have ever owned. The interior is well laid out, but materials could be better. Engine is responsive and smooth. Ride, even in the third row is comfortable. My kids love the DVD player. My wife and I love the ease of entry and exit. Despite my ego issues with driving a van and having had the opportunity to dump out of it early and go back to a cheaper SUV, I just couldn't do it. Dealer service has been excellent in dealing with the transmission problem and the noise issues. All have been fixed. Hopefully I won't have any more issues to deal with, just gas and tires.

Long Term Review
By Rich on 09/16/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey bought new in 08 has 27K. I posted previous reviews. Additional comments to previous posts are the brake feel could be improved. Mileage improved to 30 mpg on several trips using 91 octane, non ethanol gas, speed 60 -65 mph. 28MPG has been seen many times. In the suburbs mileage is 21 - 23, Keep acceleration RPM at 2000 vs jack rabbit starts. The van has had no repairs except for a minor issue with the glove compartment door becoming misaligned due to a screw.

O8 Odyssey Touring
By jojobird on 08/03/09 10:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Touring 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle is average with utility in mind. This could be an excellent basic transportation were it not for tire and drivetrain vibration, road noise and Honda's denial and refusal to fix problems. This is not a luxury vehicle even though it is priced as one. Not refined, just good basic transportation. There are better choices.

Satisfied...
By Ben on 08/01/09 01:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since we needed more space, I traded our Acura RDX and it was well worth it. The RDX was fun but it lacked cargo space and ran only on premium gas which was expensive. I chose the Odyssey because it is rated overall the top mini van in its class. Its able to hold a baby seat, infant seat, two strollers, guitar, etc. The seats are very comfortable. Driving feels like you're riding on air.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.