Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
Honda's transmission is terrible!!!!!
By burgh2 on 10/23/11 14:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Honda I have owned..it will be my last. The Acccord I purchased had a bad transmission in the model line, but I was lucky and it ran fine for me. This time, I landed squarely on a terrible transmission. It shifts constantly at highway speed. 55-60, 60-65, 65-70, 75-80mph...I've tried setting the cruise and it just keeps shifting. It's like riding in a vehicle that is hiccupping all the time!!! I've owned Toyota's and Nissan's in the past and have had great success, so long Honda!

Honda Marriage on the Rocks!
By Rich on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It was love at first sight, but after 26,000 mi, I'm close to filing for divorce on my 2008 Odyssey! "How do I unlove thee? Let me count the Defects!" 1. Rattles and window whistles from day one. 2. Mushy brakes: Recalled 3. Shutter and maddening erratic shifting: Re- programmed Transmission. 4. Loud Power Steering noises: Replaced plugged Power Steering Reservoir. 5. And, finally, failed Torque Converter: Replaced. I really what to love her, but she's making it awfully difficult. I guess, like some beautiful women, she's great to look at but she's nothing but trouble on the inside! I hope Honda doesn't run out of parts before the warranty expires!

Great Engine/Questionable Build Quality
By BMerbler on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey has been a great vehicle for our kids. We traded a 2004 Honda Pilot for the van. The shift has made it much more convenient to travel with the kids. The engine runs smooth and provides ample acceleration in the context of family vehicles. The quality overall is less impressive. Our van has just over 48k on it and has a several issues. First, it is already in need of CV joints for the front right and left sides ($600- $700), the leather on the drivers seat arm has already worn a hole (my wife is only 118 lbs-should be easy wear), housing cover on the roof for my satellite radio blew off exposing wires, rear tail light already burned out.

so sad
By sad on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely would have recommended this van to anyone until about 6 months ago at 27K miles. The van developed a vibration which got worse @60+ mph. I'm afraid to drive great distances now for fear that its going to fall apart. I've taken it back for the 3rd time to "fix" the problem. They've (1) reset computer, (2) machined all 4 rotors, and lastly (3) road forced balance - none of these supposed "fixes" have fixed the road vibration i experience daily, it maybe even worse. I hate my van and am extremely frustrated with the lack of actual service for the problem at hand. I won't buy another one.

So far so good
By Nala_Bay Area on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan w/PAX (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just changed 4 PAX tires after 53,200 miles. Everyone was surprised that it was the first set of tires after the original. It is expensive (about $1,300 for the whole job), but we thought safety is priceless knowing that we won't loss control of the van with a bad tire. We love this van and drive it every day (long daily commute and weekend leisure).

Need to discover noise
By LEONA WILLIAMS on 08/06/10 21:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The van has been making a popping and clicking noise in the front took it to the dealer several times the techs can not figure the problem. Right now the problem still exist problem can't be found, car is still under warranty. I received a rental and they called me back stating that the car was fixed, when driving of in the vehicle the noise still exist can someone please give me some legal advice. Thought when I got a Honda, I thought I was getting the best now I feel like I got a piece of junk. Should have gotten a Chevy. I am very disappointed

Excellent so far
By RHB in PA on 07/31/10 10:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

2008 EX-L. Very good long-distance hauler, love the comfort of the Honda seating. Tiny turning radius for such a big vehicle. Handling, acceleration, ride are very good. Only complaint is the lousy original tires, Michelins that we're replacing next weekend after only 25,000 miles.

Say it isn't so
By corey on 06/22/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned several Honda's. I am most worried about this vehicle.We love the comfort of the van, but have not enjoyed taking it for service appointments. If you have not had them put a new torque converter in, demand they do so. The new software package does not do the trick. I can tell you that we will not be keeping this van past the 60,000 mile mark. It will be one that will run out of warranty and blow up on your trip to Disney World. Run from this model. Hope they will solve the problems in future models. I was hoping to have the same experience that my friends have had with their vans. All of them have 200,000+ on theirs and are still running them. Save and buy an earlier model

The Van to have!
By Tom Ryan on 05/16/10 12:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you have to own a van hands down this is the van you want. Let's face it. It is a Honda! Bought our EX-L new in 2008 about 2500 under invoice. Extremely reliable, fun, looks great feels great. We only have 1 child (9) but love to travel to Florida and elsewhere. Plenty of room and I can easily get 27mpg cruising 75mph on the interstate. Headlights are phenomenal, design is great. I'm looking for a 2010 right now. I catch a lot of crap from friends for "driving a minivan" but this is a sweet ride and great resale.

Disapointed
By NM467 on 05/15/10 17:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this because my 2004 was a great van. The interior design is truly great, easy to live in and great for the family. The disappointment comes from the brakes(soft), transmission shutter, power locks that have a mind of their own and squeaks in the interior. The road noise is bad also and that was supposedly improved. The squeak not yet fixed, transmission reprogrammed not fixed and the locks can't be replicated when at the dealer. I have also had the drivers seat cushion replaced because of cracked leather this from a Honda with less than 17,000 miles on it. I bought this van to drive for the next ten years and at this rate I doubt It will make it to be paid off. Honda's rep is damaged!