Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Gas Mileage: The Final Word!
By Apollo08

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Iím an engineer and have been interested in and working on cars for years. Iíve been reading these user reviews and have been amazed at how many people claim low gas mileage. From these reviews it would appear that the Ody is a real gas pig. This however, is not the case. My Ody gets about 17-18 mpg S. Cal city driving (stop lights every 200- 500 yards). If I can get this and your getting 12 then one or more of the following apply: *low tire pressure (<28) *driving habits (ultra-short 1-5 mile trips-engine not reach operating temp) *load / number of passengers (6+ passengers) *can't properly calc mpg (many donít do it right) bottom line: engine variation is negligible. It's the operator

Favorite Features

Backup camera, Interior, VCM engine, Sliding doors, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Seriously needs computer, a hybrid would also be nice

'Tis good
By Daniel Guidos

2008 Honda Odyssey LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The interior lacks in luxury but it makes it up with practicality. The stereo is limited (LX) only one CD but it sounds great. The displays are clear. The sitting height is nice. At my frame of 6'3" it's comfortable. My teenage son thought it handled a lot like a car.

Favorite Features

Seats are nice, splitting and folding third row is great. Nice engine. Comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I know that if wanted more luxury, I should have to pay a little more

overall good trade
By rob

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

traded 2005 sienna xle due to uncomfortable seats. Once Honda offered $5400 went for it. Comfortable seats, good power, easy controls. I like the dvd controls and insert in front with young kids. got 27 mpg on 500 mile hwy trip at 68 mph with air on. Though around town stop and go 16.5 mpg. wish that was better. with 3500 miles noticed wind noise in around pass front window above 65 mph. dealer seen before change out blk plastic trim piece, poor design. One blemish in paint from factory but living with it. Scary to hear issues with rattles, brakes, tranny etc. guess when you sell 125k vans some might have issues. Miss my easy to clean 17 wheels and power lift gate. Though Touring over price

Favorite Features

comfortable seats, power, highway mpg, easy controls, back up camera, quiet inside, cold air conditioner, price paid

Suggested Improvements

center console storage needed, ex wheels hard to clean, better city mpg, door trim easy to scratch, should have had rear window screens like Toyota, make power lift gate separate option, move sliding door track out of side panel and put near window like Toyota

Second One
By KrisB

2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a great van. I had a 2005 Touring, which performed excellently in a roll over - not a scratch or bruise on me. That was reason enough to get a second. This time we opted for the EX-L w/ R&N. There are a few things I miss, like the memory seats (I'm 6'1", my wife 5'2"), auto headlights, rear sensors and the rear power door, some of which should be standard. We compared the new Chrysler van (a relative has comparable one), and they are by far more feature intensive at the same price, but they just didn't have the same level of comfort and the gas mileage isn't as good. Would like to see some of the options at a lesser cost, like Bluetooth. $800 - a joke!

Favorite Features

Nav, DVD system, comfort, handling, engine, ease of use (driving, parking, etc), seats

Suggested Improvements

Have had two problems in first 1000 miles. Slider door broke and wouldn't open and check engine light. We're at 3000 miles now and no other issues. If you look at the bumper the wrong way, it scratches. With strollers and other kid stuff, it needs to be more durable. It is a bumper, after all.

Like it so far (10k miles)
By geppetto2008

2008 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Smooth driving experience with good pick-up when I need it. I had a v-8 Ford Explorer beforehand, and the Honda has as much acceleration at the Explorer. The brakes are fantastic, highly responsive, excellent stopping distance. We settled for the EX model because for the features in the EX-L, we couldn't justify the price. I don't understand the other comments re: road noise--our van is by far one of the quietest vehicles I've ever driven. Gas mileage isn't too bad--we consistently get 24 highway--but city suffers a bit at 17 mpg on average. We added our own DVD player and screen for a fraction of what it would have cost at the dealership---a little hassle, but saved us nearly $1500!

Favorite Features

Lots of small, very practical features: Love the 8-person removable bench, daytime running lights, AUX input jack, map reading lamp by the driver for nighttime driving.

Suggested Improvements

A little rattling around the windows--tolerable, but could use some improvement.