2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:
The new Honda Quality sadly
By homersodysey08 on 05/06/14 15:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a few significant problems. First is was the soft break pedal which was a known technical service problem "fixed" by applying silicone to the known leak. At 9K mi transmission quit. They tried to blame me. They said they could find out what I had done for $180/hour. Needed my car so 2 days later they found a loose wire connector re-connected it "under warranty". Shortly beyond the 36 mo warranty (13K mi) again a soft to the floor brake pedal. I found the original TSB for the brakes and insisted they perform that "fix"a new VSA stability module I paid $400 for the part. Now they say soft is normal but I just got a recall notice for a brake defect, they got caught 5 yrs later

Rust problems Truck Around Tail Light
By jeffwh on 01/24/14 17:08 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda Poor Customer Service In just 5 years rust in around rear signal lights broke through the paint and started flaking off. It was unbelievable. I told Honda of the issue and they inspected the vechile and they concluded the vechile had not been in an accident or repainted. They would not pay for the repair. Van was well in perfect conditions otherwise. Amazing van to drive but customer service. Terrible! Be careful.

Rear engine mount failure very costly
By lonosc on 12/24/12 08:27 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just spent $1K replacing the rear engine mount after 60K miles. After researching further, discovered this is common part failure, and will re-occur every 50 - 60,000 miles. Will definitely trade off this vehicle before another 60K miles and will never buy another again. This is a vital part and should not fail so frequently. I expected better quality from Honda.

Great Engine/Questionable Build Quality
By BMerbler on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey has been a great vehicle for our kids. We traded a 2004 Honda Pilot for the van. The shift has made it much more convenient to travel with the kids. The engine runs smooth and provides ample acceleration in the context of family vehicles. The quality overall is less impressive. Our van has just over 48k on it and has a several issues. First, it is already in need of CV joints for the front right and left sides ($600- $700), the leather on the drivers seat arm has already worn a hole (my wife is only 118 lbs-should be easy wear), housing cover on the roof for my satellite radio blew off exposing wires, rear tail light already burned out.

38,000 miles
By Bill Whitlock on 04/22/10 23:11 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Really enjoy this van. It drives good, it is easy to get in and out of for all seats. Forward and side vision is very good, rear vision is good. Radio and cd is very good. Good engine power. Engine sounds good when driven hard. Gas mileage is 20 to 25 mph on open road. Plenty of power. Real good head lights. Seats are comfortable when driven 700 miles per day. Styling inside and out is real good.

16th Honda
By Hondaman on 12/29/09 18:54 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Yes, that's no typo--I've had 16 Hondas (and 1 Acura). First van though, and I've had it 24 months w/o problems. It doesn't handle like a Civic--but it doesn't ride like one either. It's been comfortable, safe and reliable. Fun? Hey, it's a VAN for crying out loud. It does make an odd "clunk" in the back end when using reverse sometimes or turning hard to the right. But I've got no real complaints. It's not like my CRVs for toughness, it's not like my Civics for mpg. It IS like my Accords for comfort. I still can't get over the stigma of owning a minivan but if you have to have one, the Odyssey is the one to get.

Average
By JTLS on 03/04/09 09:08 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought after totaling 02 Grand Caravan. Has awesome power, looks great. Climate control poor, only can control temp of rear cabin and not fan speed or mode from the front. Interior is extremely uncomfortable and hard. Dome lights will not go off automatically (What?). I drive mostly highway @ 80MPH and get about 18MPG. Caravan was 22MPG. Kinda confusing about maint schedule. There is no set time, you have to rely on the comp to tell you when to take it in. Might be 7500 miles or 3000. Stereo controls are too far away from driver to be comfortable. Hopefully the reliability and longevity will compensate for the shortfalls. Wish I had my Dodge back but playing the cards I'm dealt.

Wish I had leased another Sienna
By Todd on 02/07/09 22:05 PM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Lease was up on my 05 Sienna, so I leased an 08 Odyssey, due to the better lease rate and better exterior styling. Wow do I miss my Sienna after 4 months. The Honda feels so cheap in every way. Fit and finish is TERRIBLE. Several paint flaws, poor fit of exterior trim, horrible fit of interior trim and interior surfaces which feel cheap and scratch ridiculously easily. Brakes are downright scary, they are so soft. Stereo is the worst I have heard since the AM in my old 66 VW. Rough ride, excessive wind noise and an amazing number of rattles round out the package. Hopefully this thing at least turns out to be reliable.

Update on earlier review
By Phred on 02/06/09 10:03 AM (PST)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car 6 months ago and the more I see of it the more I think I made the wrong choice. Got stuck in a snow bank and of course there are no hooks under the car to attach a chain to pull it out - dig, dig, dig!!! Two months ago the side sliding door jumped off the track and had to be repaired -- two days in the shop!! On real cold days, before driving, the tire pressure alert show low tire pressure. I think Honda needs some better engineering!!

Not sure about this car
By Phred on 09/29/08 17:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the van for about a month and have driven 3K miles on a trip. On the positive side the van is nice to drive, looks good and has power. On the negative side the road noise is excessive. When passing a truck you can hardly hear anyone else in the car. The noise from bumps in the road is also very loud. Automatic shifting is rough. The front seats are not very comfortable compared to my 2005 Dodge van. The radio sound is very good but it has the poorest station range of any car I've owned in the last 20 years. The little mirror on the sun glasses holder is useless. It needs a compass. At this point I'm not too thrilled about this purchase.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.