Used 2008 Honda Odyssey EX Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

The new Honda Quality sadly
By homersodysey08

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a few significant problems. First is was the soft break pedal which was a known technical service problem "fixed" by applying silicone to the known leak. At 9K mi transmission quit. They tried to blame me. They said they could find out what I had done for $180/hour. Needed my car so 2 days later they found a loose wire connector re-connected it "under warranty". Shortly beyond the 36 mo warranty (13K mi) again a soft to the floor brake pedal. I found the original TSB for the brakes and insisted they perform that "fix"a new VSA stability module I paid $400 for the part. Now they say soft is normal but I just got a recall notice for a brake defect, they got caught 5 yrs later

Favorite Features

Hands down a finer car than my previous 97 Grand Caravan. More comfortable, better ride, great interior space, clever storage, many features standard on the EX and when the brakes worked I was very happy.

Suggested Improvements

Honda must re-engineer the brakes! When the van was new the brakes worked well and I felt very safe. Honda doesn't stand behind problems unless you fight them. Reading reviews I worry about a low mileage transmission failure which is a very common and expensive problem with minivans (my Dodge). It looks like I should look forward to a motor mount replacement. I do not believe Honda has maintained the quality control that they built their reputation on. I no longer trust Honda. I do not believe they stand behind their products. They should not be cavalier about vehicle safety. They must not test their products leaving this work and risk to the buyers.

Rust problems Truck Around Tail Light
By jeffwh

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda Poor Customer Service In just 5 years rust in around rear signal lights broke through the paint and started flaking off. It was unbelievable. I told Honda of the issue and they inspected the vechile and they concluded the vechile had not been in an accident or repainted. They would not pay for the repair. Van was well in perfect conditions otherwise. Amazing van to drive but customer service. Terrible! Be careful.

Rear engine mount failure very costly
By lonosc

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just spent $1K replacing the rear engine mount after 60K miles. After researching further, discovered this is common part failure, and will re-occur every 50 - 60,000 miles. Will definitely trade off this vehicle before another 60K miles and will never buy another again. This is a vital part and should not fail so frequently. I expected better quality from Honda.

Favorite Features

automatic side doors, fold down rear seats in cargo area.

Suggested Improvements

find a permanent fix for the rear engine mount so owners do not have to pay extra $1,000 every 50 - 60,000 miles to keep their vehicle on the road, on top of all the other expenses to keep it running.

Great Engine/Questionable Build Quality
By BMerbler

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Odyssey has been a great vehicle for our kids. We traded a 2004 Honda Pilot for the van. The shift has made it much more convenient to travel with the kids. The engine runs smooth and provides ample acceleration in the context of family vehicles. The quality overall is less impressive. Our van has just over 48k on it and has a several issues. First, it is already in need of CV joints for the front right and left sides ($600- $700), the leather on the drivers seat arm has already worn a hole (my wife is only 118 lbs-should be easy wear), housing cover on the roof for my satellite radio blew off exposing wires, rear tail light already burned out.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, Functionality of the interior, power sliding doors, body design

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty (3yr/36K leaves the owner exposed), improve overall quality in leather and other materials

38,000 miles
By Bill Whitlock

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Really enjoy this van. It drives good, it is easy to get in and out of for all seats. Forward and side vision is very good, rear vision is good. Radio and cd is very good. Good engine power. Engine sounds good when driven hard. Gas mileage is 20 to 25 mph on open road. Plenty of power. Real good head lights. Seats are comfortable when driven 700 miles per day. Styling inside and out is real good.

Favorite Features

This vehicle drives real good to weight 4800 lbs. To be a big box, wind doesn't blow van around much. Controls are well thought out. Quality of inside material is very good, cloth seats. Back seat is normally in the well. Plenty of space for luggage.

Suggested Improvements

Brake pedal is way too soft, goes too close to floor. Too easy to press gas pedal and brake pedal at the same time. Everything else is great.