Used 2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

No More!
By Tony Cruz

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan LX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my van with 30K miles, and now nearly 90K miles I had a major engine failure (cylinder 5 blew). Honda knows there have been problems with this particular year, yet, will not make me whole. My warranty, of course, was useless. I was over my miles by 200 miles, all highway miles en route to my father in laws funeral. They didn't do sqaut for me! Let's just say I will not be buying another honda again. They're no longer 'reliable' to me and they produced an inferior product. I've got two old Fords that are still kicking! I'll be buying American moving forward...thanks to honda.

What good are features if the damn car is not reliable!

My impression is you have cut corners in production or something. I spent nearly $24K plus interest to buy this van on the BELIEF it would be reliable (even new used), because it was a HONDA. How foolish I was and how do I truly regret making this buy. There is something wrong with the engine in the production model and you are perfectly willing to let the consumer bear the burden for your lack of engineering effort and honesty. Forget the model, your engines are supposed to be one of the most envied, with a long history of useful life. What happened? Is the need to cut cost so strong, so needed by your shareholders, that you're willing to lose your reputation in the process?

My Favorite Van Ever!!!
By undy6

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had 3 Odysseys - an '07 EX-L DVD, an '08 EX-L w/NAV & DVD and a '12 Touring Elite. I've had a lot of cars, SUV's and minivans and the '08 Odyssey was my fav by far! I actually think it was better than the '12 Odyssey Touring Elite we leased. Zero issues, super practical features & layout, easy and comfortable to drive....I could go on and on. Only reason I don't still have it is because I was having issues getting traction in the snow (lived in Denver at the time) so I traded for a 4WD Nissan Armada. I regretted that decision almost immediately, still miss that van 3 yrs later! Hindsight, I really wish I would've tried putting on a better set of tires before trading it in :-(

Easy to drive bc it feels smaller than it is, instrument cluster & gauges are easy to read, love how the 2nd row middle seatback folds down to become a tray table with cup holders, smooth ride, 2nd row seats can be moved side by side, 2 glove compartments, super reliable, cheap & easy to maintain, comfy seats, power sliding doors (enough said)

Road noise could get a bit loud, 2nd row middle seat was def on the small side, stereo speakers/sound not very good, gas mileage below stated - about 14-15 mpg city. Factory tires are horrendous for driving in the snow, highly recommend buying a better set of tires for it!

1st owner & 5 1/2 yrs later I am still happy!
By billybeefcake

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I picked out a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L 5 1/2 years ago with 20 miles on it. We now have just over 73,000 on the vehicle, and we are even more happy now than when we purchased the van because nothing has gone wrong. There has been several recalls such as the brakes, the transmission reprogramming, and cabin noise, but Honda was pretty good (once they acknowledged the issues) at taking care of them. With a fully loaded van (family/cargo) on a flat road I can get 27/28 mpg easily. In town she avg. 18-20 depending on how much a/c we are using. As for us we have had a good experience.

The new Honda Quality sadly
By homersodysey08

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a few significant problems. First is was the soft break pedal which was a known technical service problem "fixed" by applying silicone to the known leak. At 9K mi transmission quit. They tried to blame me. They said they could find out what I had done for $180/hour. Needed my car so 2 days later they found a loose wire connector re-connected it "under warranty". Shortly beyond the 36 mo warranty (13K mi) again a soft to the floor brake pedal. I found the original TSB for the brakes and insisted they perform that "fix"a new VSA stability module I paid $400 for the part. Now they say soft is normal but I just got a recall notice for a brake defect, they got caught 5 yrs later

Hands down a finer car than my previous 97 Grand Caravan. More comfortable, better ride, great interior space, clever storage, many features standard on the EX and when the brakes worked I was very happy.

Honda must re-engineer the brakes! When the van was new the brakes worked well and I felt very safe. Honda doesn't stand behind problems unless you fight them. Reading reviews I worry about a low mileage transmission failure which is a very common and expensive problem with minivans (my Dodge). It looks like I should look forward to a motor mount replacement. I do not believe Honda has maintained the quality control that they built their reputation on. I no longer trust Honda. I do not believe they stand behind their products. They should not be cavalier about vehicle safety. They must not test their products leaving this work and risk to the buyers.

a great hauler
By zman34

2008 Honda Odyssey Minivan EX-L 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first minivan due to kids. We left an x3 to get the van, as a left over from previous model year. Hard to beat for camping and any trip with the kids. Comfortable and peppy for a vehicle well over 4000 pounds. Leaking rear shocks at 50000 were a bit expensive. Warranty replacement of wheel bearing and piece of the steering pump. At 70000 now with no other issues. Mpg socks but you are pushing a heavy box through the wing. .. What do you expect? The variable cylinder management is a joke for Mpg improvement. With the volume of these cars sold, I am not surprised there are a few issues reported here. My mazda 3 have been bullet proof to 70,000, still made in japan. Odyssey in A

Heated seats. Stowage seats. Adjustable seats. Magic third seat. Rear camera is nice

Road noise, add subway fer - not available in 2008