Problems, problems, problems.
By edmund21 on
2007 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I bought this van used. My mechanic, a 30 year veteran, did pre-purchace inspections on six Odysseys before we found a well maintained one with 60K. I was happy with the van for the first few months, and then....problem after problem: a blown power steering line, overheating caused by a faulty Honda fuse, a bad power steering pump, and a leaking power steering rack (at 64K?!). I called Honda USA about the leaking power steering rack and asked them for what is known in the business as "Goodwill". They were arrogant, refused, and could care less about repeat customers. I will never buy another Honda.
Favorite Features
The power steering pump was recalled by Honda a month after I bought it, and three months after the new pump was installed the power steering rack started leaking. The power steering rack seal leak is a common problem in Odysseys - and is a $1700 repair. The defective pump Honda recalled could a have let air into the system damaging the rack. The Odyssey is a badly designed vehicle. They've just issued a recall on the vehicle stability system.
Suggested Improvements
DO NOT BUY AN ODYSSEY, they have all kinds of hidden problems, buy a Toyota or a Nissan minivan, Consumer Reports rates their reliability well above the Odyssey. Don't buy into the Honda reliability myth. My 1999 328i had less problems in fourteen years than the Odyssey has had one and a half years. I'm stuck with it for now. What's going to go next?