Used 2007 Honda Odyssey EX Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Honda Odyssey - Consumer Reviews

2007 Honda Odyssey

View reviews for a specific Odyssey model:

Very well designed and reliable vehicle.
By jmn5467

2007 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have owned the van for 7 years and put about 60,000 miles on it. It has been an extremely reliable family vehicle - I have had almost no problems at all aside from an airbag-related sensor that had to be replaced and the usual maintenance (brakes, tires, etc). Surprised at the number of bad reviews on here. This is a very well designed vehicle for someone with 4 kids (or without).

General reliability. Dual sliding doors have always worked flawlessly. Powerful engine; could easily tow a trailer with this thing. Cargo capacity - with the rear seats folded and captains chairs removed this van has a TON of cargo room. As others have noted the EX model without sunroof has a bunch of headroom - I'm 6'4" and still have several inches to spare. The stow-away middle seat for the 2nd row is a fantastic idea - it's only needed a couple of times a year but is great to have when we occasionally need to haul 8 people. Cupholders everywhere!

Front seat HVAC controls are a little "weird" (although functional). Stereo on the EX model is adequate but not great (would be so nice if it had an Aux in for my iPhone, but FM transmitter works ok).

Problems, Problems, Problems - UPDATED
By edmund21

2007 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is an update of my 4/10/14 review. Since then I have had to replace the power steering rack and pinion and the front motor mount. The rack was a $1700. job and the mount $450. Honda USA refused to admit their recalled power steering pump damaged the rack and did not offer any "good will" discount. It's a money pit. I'm going back to German for my next vehicle. Here's my 4/14 review: I bought this van used. My mechanic, a 30 year veteran, did pre-purchace inspections on six Odysseys before we found a well maintained one with 60K. I was happy with the van for the first few months, and then....problem after problem: a blown power steering line, overheating caused by a faulty Honda fuse.

A bad power steering pump, and a leaking power steering rack (at 64K?!). I called Honda USA about the leaking power steering rack and asked them for what is known in the business as "Goodwill". They were arrogant, refused, and could care less about repeat customers. I will never buy another Honda. The power steering pump was recalled by Honda a month after I bought it, and three months after the new pump was installed the power steering rack started leaking. The power steering rack seal leak is a common problem in Odysseys - and is a $1700 repair. The defective pump Honda recalled let air into the system damaging the rack. The Odyssey is a badly designed vehicle. 4 SAFETY RECALLS SO FAR.

DO NOT BUY AN ODYSSEY, they have all kinds of hidden problems, buy a Toyota or a Nissan minivan, Consumer Reports rates their reliability well above the Odyssey. Don't buy into the Honda reliability myth. My BMW 1999 328i had fewer problems in fourteen years than the Honda Odyssey has had in one and a half years. I'm stuck with it for now. What's going to go next? This is one LOUD NOISEY VAN AT HIGH SPEEDS.

Problems, problems, problems.
By edmund21

2007 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this van used. My mechanic, a 30 year veteran, did pre-purchace inspections on six Odysseys before we found a well maintained one with 60K. I was happy with the van for the first few months, and then....problem after problem: a blown power steering line, overheating caused by a faulty Honda fuse, a bad power steering pump, and a leaking power steering rack (at 64K?!). I called Honda USA about the leaking power steering rack and asked them for what is known in the business as "Goodwill". They were arrogant, refused, and could care less about repeat customers.

Updated 4/11/16: Power steering rack, power steering pump, power steering line, electrical problem/overheating, CV joints, plus basic maintenance puts this vehicle with the most unreliable I've ever owned.

There is also, what my master mechanic describes as: a low level whining noise on the up side of a gear in the final drive section of the transmission. This might be from incorrect tolerances in the build and could stay like that forever and not get worse, or, it could get louder until the transmission will have to be replaced. It's been there for years and has stayed the same.

Problems you would never expect from a well maintained Japanese car.

Sound-proofing ineffective and road noise loud.

Handles great with T rated tires. Unique tire size limits your choice of replacement tires.

Buy one at your own risk. You might get a good one, or you might not.

Still Running Great
By sb2323

Bought used in 2009.
It now has 120,000 miles, a mix of long highway driving and short trips.
This car has not been babied.
Only maintenance is oil/filter changes.
We've had to put a couple thousand dollars into it replacing normal aging things.
Passenger side door has to be pulled twice to get it to close or open and it kinda thuds when it does.
The cloth interior has a lot of worn spots and paint around the bumper is peeling in places. Overall it's been a great car.
The kids hate driving in an "uncool" minivan but love having room for a bunch of friends.
They love the interior as well.
This car is great for long road trips.
Very comfortable.
I plan to drive it another 100,000.

Good handling, good acceleration, tight turning radius, smooth and quiet ride, comfortable seats, lots of great storage, well laid out, full size spare, ability to seat eight, ability to reconfigure center row as needed. 6'6" husband is not cramped, nor is the person who sits behind him. (Though a full grown man might have less legroom than he'd like if he sat behind my husband.)

It was a great car for its year. The new Odysseys look a lot less minivan-like, which is great and which I would have appreciated. One problem I've had with my Odyssey is I can't readily see the gas gauge. My line of sight is somehow blocked by the steering wheel. This is the only car that I'm not infrequently shocked into realizing I'm almost on E. My husband, who is a foot taller than me, has the same issue.

So Far So Good 68,000 miles!
By mlady

2007 Honda Odyssey EX 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm surprised at how many wrote in saying they were disappointed with the 07) but the star rating they gave the van was 4 stars--huh?

This is our second Odyssey. Our first was a 2004 lease that was very nice. A few problems we had with the 04 were covered under warranty. The battery had to be replaced, rear window in the back motor had to be replaced. And even though I hit the button to lock the car (and heard the beep) one of the back doors was not locking.

For our 2007 . We now have 68,000 miles on the car and it has been very reliable (knock on wood) all we had to do was normal maintenance. New tires, alignment, battery, and brakes. We did replace the battery (with in first 2 years

Roomy interior can't be beat. Plus, the back fold down seats come in handy time to time. Love all the cup holders and trays (great for a traveling family). Our 04 had a DVD for movies (great for the kids). Our 07 did not, and I miss that.

07 model the only down I've found that is annoying is that the back windows cannot be opened (alone) front windows have to be opened too or you get a horrible wind thumping sound through out the cabin. Also, when waiting for a light and another car is playing their radio bass loud the van will pick-up the vibration (noise) in the car. I'm not sure if this has to do with the car design or the tires picking up the vibration.